Shot Suspect Keeps Beating Officer.... - Page 2

Shot Suspect Keeps Beating Officer....

This is a discussion on Shot Suspect Keeps Beating Officer.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ericb327 Looks like shot placement played a role. Marksmanship goes out the window when you're fighting for your life. yep, hits in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Shot Suspect Keeps Beating Officer....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Looks like shot placement played a role. Marksmanship goes out the window when you're fighting for your life.
    yep, hits in the deadly triangle are a must
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Why would you "draw" your radio while being pounded on with your own ASP?

I would have been shooting until slide lock.
    Because if he hadn't called for back-up, he probably would have been beat to death. Apparently he had shot the guy 5 or 6 times. Good thing he had a radio too, eh?

Officers responding to the distress call surrounded the suspect, still on his feet, and got him to lie down, Griffin said.

But he kept fighting.

"Police went over to handcuff him, and he jumped back up, elbowing and knocking policemen down," Griffin said. "They jumped on him again and got him cuffed."
    64zebra likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Because if he hadn't called for back-up, he probably would have been beat to death. Apparently he had shot the guy 5 or 6 times. Good thing he had a radio too, eh?
    To each his own. I think 13 rounds might well have ended the affair also. Not to mention that if he had gotten his head split open while trying to call for backup, then that effort would have been for naught.

But everybody has their own vision of how to work the street....
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

When you train to shoot a couple rounds then reassess, you'll shoot a couple rounds then reassess. If you train to shoot the threat to the ground, regardless of the number of rounds, then hopefully that's what you'll do. Some of the officers I train are the worst about this. We'll use dropping steel targets and small balloons holding a cardboard target from a string (I didn't come up with this idea, but do use it often). It will only drop once you hit the balloon, which is not visible, but located behind the target's center mass. First time through, a high percentage will fire a few rounds then pause, for whatever reason, then get back to work.

In the real world, there's no time for a pause. You should continue servicing the threat until they either turn and run or fall to the ground. It's not freakin' paintball here.

There is always the odd case where you can fill a guy with a lot of rounds and it still take a good 30 seconds or so for his blood pressure to drop low enough that he quits fighting. Without a CNS hit, we need to make as many holes as we can to get the BP to drop as fast as possible.

I'd be calling back up as well, you never know how long a fight will last. 20 seconds in a life or death struggle will feel like an eternity and you'll do anything to get it to end.
    oneshot likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    While I agree with everyone's sentiment here to keep shooting until the threat is stopped, I'm not sure this officer had a chance to do that. How long does it take for the average officer to fire 7 shots? From the article, it sounds to me like they were already at close distance when the confrontation started. It doesn't say when he pulled his gun or started shooting, but it sounds like the guy would have charged through the bullets and initiated physical contact, making it hard to continue shooting.

We should cut the officer a break until we know more details about the entire scenario.
    goldmaster likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Just from reading the article and the report of an attempted robbery, that call should have been a backup rolling from the get go.

During my time on the job I saw to many officers go into a situation that called for backup before the backup arrived.

The results of more than a few were far from satisfactory including one officer losing his life because he faile to wait for backup at a silent alarm all at a jewlery store.

The old school term for that kind of action was "Tombstone Courage".

Not saying the officer in this situation did that, he may have felt he had the situation under control at the time of contact, unfortunately that was not the case.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes Old School.....now being a FTO I get ticked off at officers that disregard the backup unit and advise on too many calls or they don't hang out down the street, etc until the other unit gets there....a high percentage of officers killed on dispatched calls are because they didn't wait for backup

I tell my rookies that I don't care if you make your whole squad mad because someone has to come back you up instead of getting a meal break or whatever....if you feel you want another officer then so be it, they can get ticked off later when everyone is home safe with the same number of holes in their body that God gave 'em
    Last edited by 64zebra; May 22nd, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    ericb327 and jonconsiglio like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

sgb
    Hmmmmmmm
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Hmmmmmmm
    ?????????????????
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Do like thy do in Mexico, have the officers carry a carbine as their primary weapon.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Why would you "draw" your radio while being pounded on with your own ASP?

I would have been shooting until slide lock.
    I don't know what radio he was carrying but my old Motorolas are aluminum and steel and lexan. You can call for help while you beat someone senseless with it. The old GE master series were bricks too. Just have to remember to transmit before you break the battery off. Depending in what else is on the belt, wind conditions, back stop etc. the radio might have been the best option at that moment.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    yeah, and if his is like ours, dispatch sees on the computer screen the officer's ID when we key up our radio, so it may not have been a long transmission

will be interesting to see if he had a pistol malfunction at the time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links