Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes'

This is a discussion on Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's still not that big of a deal. Chris Hayes didn't say anything derogatory in my opinion. It was controversial, but it really wasn't that ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes'

It's still not that big of a deal. Chris Hayes didn't say anything derogatory in my opinion. It was controversial, but it really wasn't that bad.

The article Spirit posted is more ridiculous.
    shockwave likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I am not sure where this "anyone who was in the military is a hero" came from, but this man Chris Hayes, said that military who have fallen should not be called heroes unless they did something like dieing under a hail of bullets or dragging comrades to safety, because calling those fallen military heroes gives legitimacy to conflict. He was promoting a Liberal/Progressive agenda on the backs of fallen military. It has NOTHING to do with calling all military heroes. That is a label that each person should decide for themselves. I don't care whether you call them heroes or not as long as their service is honored by the citizens of this country, but when a person dies in service to our country...it shouldn't be denied because it would make the conflict "look good" to some. I am done. I don't think I can explain my position any clearer than I have.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    It's still not that big of a deal. Chris Hayes didn't say anything derogatory in my opinion. It was controversial, but it really wasn't that bad.

Whatever.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

"leftist twerp"

"commie grad students"

"scoundrel"

"useless progressive fops"

This guy is doing the same thing as the MSNBC guy. He's just catering to a different market.

VIP Member

Your comments are as irrelevant as chris hayes and BSNBC.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Hayes apologized for his remarks later Monday.
    I guess that answers that, but I really did enjoy the label "pasty faced fop". I do believe that was an accurate assessment, and very funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Your comments are as irrelevant as chris hayes and BSNBC.
    Chris Hayes' comments are quite relevant. Many people on this forum were outraged and deeply offended by what he said. They want to send him hateful letters and send him to negotiate with the Taliban and what not.

The guy is a sissy, though. Public apologies are pathetic.

Not that big a deal because Chris Hayes himself is not that big a deal. He's lightweight liberal reporter who matters very little. This thread contains quite a bit of discussion about the definition of a hero but Hayes' own stated reason for being uncomfortable with the word is that he sees it as rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war. This nonsense seems more to have come from his asinine, pathetic little PC mindset, the same mindset that has people inventing silly new PC names for things than from a bona fide disrespect. The mindless drivel that came out of his mouth however has not set well with many and his timing was way off. He's obviously not in the thinking game and hardly worth much attention.
    Spirit51 and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Disgusting.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    I have had the distinct honor and pleasure to fly with someone I consider a true hero, Major James E Sehorn. He never really talked of his experiences in the Hilton but occasionally over enough beers and with other RVN vets he would tell an occasional story but never any details of what treatment they were really subjected to.

Bio, Sehorn, James E.
    Spirit51 and JDKinman like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Well I did not watch the video as I don't really care what this guy has to say but cold shot since you are such a fan and think he is so relevant I am sure he has an opening for someone to carry his book bag or something when he goes to negotiate peace with the Taliban. I will even spring for your ticket. I would buy a round trip but I don't think you will be needing the return.

A hero is who or what we make a hero. Personally I don't care if an 18 old signed on the dotted line to impress his girlfriend, get college money, or go kill commies for christ he signed on the dotted line, you didn't. As was stated he simply showed up, what did you do? I see men and women daily that even though they do not even carry a weapon or engage the enemy they are heroes to me.

About a week ago we had yet another rocket attack on our camp. It hit in the living areas where there are double stacked buildings behind blast walls. We had long since had to evacuate the upper floors because of the attacks so most folks live on the bottom. A 57mm rocket hit the upper room, penetrated the wall, through the floor, entered into the lower room, penetrated the bed and lodged in the floor.

The man that lived there was at work, he is a KBR combat plumber. He carries no weapon, never leaves the camp simply does his job. the reason I call him a hero is that when he got back to his room, surveyed the damage he did not *****, moan or cry he simply stated that he needed to secure his personal gear as he was going to have to work all night to repair the damages from the other rockets that hit so folks could get back to their rooms. He did not run and pack a bag, he did not quit on the spot he simply went back to work. The rooms across from him were shredded by shrapnel but thankfully there were no injuries but not one person quit. We talked, joked, and prayed but no one quit.

We, as in those of us that are here, rely on each other, we are each others heroes whether you are pulling a trigger or serving chow so what gives you the right to question or give an opinion of who should be called what if you have never served or done anything close to it. You sit safe in your house, behind your keyboard and can spout whatever thoughts you want without a clue as to what makes a hero or makes a person honorable.

I do not really care what this guy in the video says about what he is uncomfortable with. I do not care what others say on here about what they think a hero is or is not. Until you are there wearing a badge, fighting a fire, disarming an IED, taking incoming rocket fire, wearing 40 pounds of gear in 130 degree weather or having a friend and team member bleed out in your arms I and others who serve would much rather you sit there and politely keep your mouth shut than to even come close to judging or deciding who should be called what.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Wow, he was dancin around what he wanted to say without getting strung up. What a weasel!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Hope everybody had a good weekend. I said I would not post anything till today because I felt that bickering over what is a hero should not have been done over what should be a weekend to ONLY remember the sacrifices of those that served and died. No offense is meant to anyone here.

The difference between a hero and someone who is not is in the eyes of the the people that you are supposedly fighting for. Same as which side is fighting for a just cause. It depends what side you are on. I am pretty sure the Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Taliban, Al Queda, all have/had their hero's and thought what they were fighting for was just.
    I don't care for the word myself only because it is abused by folks that abuse it for the sake of personal or political gain. It has lost it's meaning to me personaly. At the same time it does not bother me if used by families of people who have served or are serving. They are proud of their sons and daughters, husbands and wives. Don't matter to me how they found the service, draft, need money, college fund. I went in the military so I could get married to this girl (ironically she talked me into it and broke up with me while I was in Basic Training LOL). But I stayed in and made SGM.

No, hero is overused in this society and it is in the eye of the beholder. During WW I enemy pilots did not refer to their foes as heros. But they did refer to them as honorable men. I prefer that. All that serve, regardless of the circumstance that saw them in uniform are honorable and perform honorable jobs. (Yeah, I know, there are some that don't fit that bill so please don't nit pick. I have made sure those less than honorable got the boot out of the service). This is just me and my opinion but when I am gone I don't care if anybody remembers me as a hero, whether I am or not. I would like to be remembered as an honorable man who did what had to be done and did it morally , ethnically, and with honor.

The reason why I did not write over the weekend was because a by product of calling people heros is a lot of times in the same breath you will hear that they had lost their lives defending our freedom. Bovine feces. Sorry, but the cold hard fact is that most of our conflicts had nothing to do with defending our freedom. Too many honorable people from all walks of life have died not for our freedom because our freedom was not at risk. But they did die honorably trying to save a buddies life, a non combatant life. I do not like it when people say "Johnny lost his life defending out way of life" when IMO he did not. And I really hate it when politicians keep saying it. The more they repeat it the more folks believe it. If someone wants to debate every conflict we have had since the Revolution feel free to PM me.

My nephew who is a gung ho PFC artillery gunner is so excited to be going to Afghanistan. He wants to get there before we pull out. His family posted on Facebook how proud he is to be going to defend our way of life......sorry, if he dies there he did not do it to preserve our freedom. Again, I won't debate the politics here.

Thank you for your time and flame away. I expect it.
    limatunes, Spirit51 and tacman605 like this.

That guy's an idiot. But there is a saying in the world of media and it states that it's better to be wrong than to be boring.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links