Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes' - Page 7

Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes'

This is a discussion on Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll disagree to a bit Sun Tzu, but I'm almost on your sheet of music. I'm definitely older and more cynical these days, and I ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes'

I'll disagree to a bit Sun Tzu, but I'm almost on your sheet of music. I'm definitely older and more cynical these days, and I completely agree that we get a bit too jingoistic when it comes to mlilitary service. But, having had the privilege of working with young hard chargers, I think the majority of them do start with idealism and though they might not understand all the implications of their oath or the Code, they "get it."

I do wish we'd bring back the draft, and a war tax. I wish we'd hold our elected representatives' feet to the fire about the nearly 100K combat deaths our military has sustained since WWII in undeclared wars. It still amazes me that me, two of my siblings, and my dad have all been in combat, but never went to war (as allowed by The Constitution, at least). Sounds like we're going to Syria now... what are the odds that will be declared? Poultry droppings.

The bottom line is that the word and concept of "hero" isn't dilted by using it to paint the thin green/red/blue/white line with a broad brush. It's diluted because we use it so often for non-heroes, usually involving sports, music, movies, or other pop culture.

BTW, Mr Hayes offered up what I think is a pretty good and insightful apology yesterday.

@ NH_Esau:At least you didn't call me an idiot LOL. I think we agree on the important things. But from my experience folks that have performed heroic actions (mil or not) do not like to think they are heros nor be called heros and they are sincere. There are many that are in the military and not that WANT to be called a hero.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Who the heck is Chris Hayes; and why should I care?

Some folks say stupid things just to be noticed. Given that network's lousy ratings, I guess he accomplished his real aim.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Here is the "apology". More interesting are the comments that follow.

Chris Hayes Apologizes to Soldiers

Just giving this a end.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    That guy's an idiot. But there is a saying in the world of media and it states that it's better to be wrong than to be boring.
    I find him guilty on both counts.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Chris was positing a view on a talk forum to stimulate a discussion. He does that careful choosing of words thing that many of the liberal intellectual stripe do. Bill Maher does the same thing on occasion. "Well, um, I'm not sure that 'hero',um, is the word that I'm looking for here." That sort of thing. Actually, Lima presented a better argument than Chris Hayes did. Maybe she should get a show.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I suspect a lot of this is a backlash from the days of Vietnam when most service people were ridiculed after they returned home. Now some 40 years later people are realizing that they might not agree with the conflict, but don't take it out on those who are serving.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    He can still hustle down to the recruiting office and sign up, then walk a mile in their boots if he wants to. May be good for him, and get him into his comfort zone. Yep, he could do that if he wants and maybe then I would just half believe his cough, cough, apology!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

This coming from a person that I have no doubt is incapable of performing a heroic act himself.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

Personally I don't care if an 18 old signed on the dotted line to impress his girlfriend, get college money, or go kill commies for christ he signed on the dotted line, you didn't.
    This is untrue.

Now, before you go on another tirade about how I'm lying or how I'm a different kind of filth or something, just read what I wrote. I never said that military members aren't heroes, and I didn't say fallen members aren't heroes. I simply stated that I felt what he said wasn't a big deal, and I tried to explain why.

I try not to get offended by every little piece of news out there. I also like to present different ideas to the forum.

I care about how "uncomfortable" he is/was about this as much as I care about how "uncomfortable" he is when he's constipated. He didn't serve, his opinion doesn't matter. Any way you look at it, he damn sure picked the wrong day to open his mouth. Why would anyone in their right mind even attempt to nit-pik such a topic this weekend. If he wanted to point out any difference in the fallen he could have distinguished btwn battlefield heroes and non, but again, his timing was pathetic, inflammatory, and intentional. I clicked the link, but read no apology.

The most disgusting aspect is that he successfully diverted public attention from those rightly being honored to himself.

VIP Member
    Late to the party but I've just got to say that I hope a Vet punches him right in the mouth!
    Eagleks and nedrgr21 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Cold Shot. Never said you were lying, did not say you were filth. I did say if you like the guy and agree with what he says join him on he theoretical trip to propose peace you chose your camp now you have to live in it.

I to don't normally get upset or let things bother me, life is to short for all the drama, but there are some things that cross the line, break my code and just plain piss me off and this happened to be one of them.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Cold Shot. Never said you were lying, did not say you were filth. I did say if you like the guy and agree with what he says join him on he theoretical trip to propose peace you chose your camp now you have to live in it.

I to don't normally get upset or let things bother me, life is to short for all the drama, but there are some things that cross the line, break my code and just plain piss me off and this happened to be one of them.
    You said a lot of things. I never said I agree with Chris Hayes, but I wasn't offended by his comments. All I really wanted to get across was to "relax, DC forum, worse things have happened."

My response to you, tacman, since you hammered your point home so thoroughly, was that I have, in fact, signed on the line which is dotted.

I served in the Army from '72 to '78 and I remember how returning vets were treated, so I am truly glad that Americans consider them all heroes. But I agree that just signing up and serving does not make one a hero. Yes it potentially puts you in the line of fire but somewhere I read that during WW2 only about 20% of men serving in uniform actually saw combat, but they are referred to as our "Greatest Generation" and they probably are.

One question. What do you call the guy who saves the lives of all his squad members and earns a Silver Star or the guy who was recently awarded the Medal of Honor? If all soldiers, sailors and Marines are heroes, what are they?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links