Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes'

8K views 117 replies 49 participants last post by  Harryball 
#1 ·
I had to post this because it just OUTRAGES me that this weenie would even say this. I can't say here what I would like to see happen to him. Those who have serviced honorably and have fallen for the cause are HERO. What is this little worm? I am just burning up over this.

Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes' | NewsBusters.org

God Bless and keep those who have served our Country... and their families. There is no other name for those who have fallen in defense of all of us but HERO. We should never forget and honor them not just this Holiday Weekend, but every day. Without their sacrifice and protection where would this Country be.

To all of you who have served. THANK YOU. You are my Heroes.

#2 ·
Spirit forgive me. This guy is a douche...He doesn't realize that the fallen, have fallen so he can write crap like that.

#5 ·
What forgive? He IS a douche. I am sure I have sat here calling him worse. Just don't want to get in trouble and say it in here.

#7 ·
Only after steps are taken to insure they couldn't breed! These are the same types who back in the 60's and 70's called returning troops "Baby Killers". If I saw one of them on fire, I wouldn't cross the street to pee on them to put it out.

#12 ·
So he's taking his hate for the government's choices out on the dead soldiers? And he does this the night before memorial day? I wouldn't mind getting his address and sending him an old-fashioned letter of my opinions of him... pathetic...

Reactions: Spirit51
#14 ·
It is when it is said on TV the night before memorial day, and now on the internet for us all to have to hear about.

It's opinions like his that you keep to yourself. His mother must have never taught him "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all".

#23 ·
so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war
This fella failed critical thinking in high school.

"Too refined by half", too clever by half.............too stupid. What an intellectual jerk.

I didn't know who he was before, and I still don't, and don't care.

#24 ·
I think the term "hero" has been grossly misused since 9/11... for example, referring to the victims of the twin towers collapse lumped in the same breath with the courageous first responders as heroes. We need to differentiate between unfortunate victims and true heroes. The latter are easily distinguished by the simple fact that they took action to prevent (further) harm to the innocent

That said, I am outraged that some dweeb perched in front of a PC has the audacity to challenge the personal sacrifice and the authenticity of purpose of our military who have sacrificed so much for those of us sitting comfortably at home. We owe our surviving and our fallen soldiers, sailors and airmen a huge debt of gratitude.

#25 ·
Whatever! Those who serve are heroes. Period. Those who die while serving, well they are super heroes. If your not willing to serve then be glad there are those who will and let's all honor them and give thanks!!

Our ability to be free, have rights, and live in the greatest country on earth are because of our military and the sacrifices given.
God bless them all!!

#27 ·
-
He says this:

I feel comfortable, ah, uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war. Um, and, I don't want to obviously desecrate or disrespect memory of anyone that's fallen, and obviously there are individual circumstances in which there is genuine, tremendous heroism: hail of gunfire, rescuing fellow soldiers and things like that. But it seems to me that we marshal this word in a way that is problematic. But maybe I'm wrong about that.
I think that his problem is that he is equating one thing with another -

1) referring to someone who has given much - or all - in performing their duty to this country

2) thinking that this somehow romaticizes war

I feel that it is an attempt at giving a reasonable amount of respect to the men & women who have paid a certain price in their service to their country. I don't see the connection with justifying the conflict in which they were injured or died.

I have to go with my opinion, Mr. Hayes, that in your own words you are wrong about that.

#29 ·
I, too, think that the word "hero" is used far too often in today's society. It's overuse is making it cheap. But then again... words are cheap.

According to my dictionary hero means, "a person, .. who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."

There is an outstanding number of true military heroes that have fought and died (and even lived) while performing courageous, outstanding and noble acts.
Not to long ago I read about a Marine who left his helmet off to go and secure a ladder on a truck during a state-side pre-deployment workup. The ladder fell, crushed his skull and he died. Never saw a single day of combat. Never fired a single shot in defense of our nation.

Had he been working in a factory and his story were told he'd be just an average shmuck, labelled an idiot for not wearing his helmet.. he should have known better and that's why he's dead. But because he happened to die while under contract to the US Marine Corps suddenly he's a HERO!!!! who died for his country!!

Ehhh.. I guess if that's how you want to look at it. Okay. In which case, in my humble opinion, anyone who wears the uniform is a hero. Even the guy who through neglect or laziness failed to do his job and got other service-members killed... including himself. Or maybe the guy who died in a drunken car accident while home on leave. Just kind of makes me feel a little conflicted when I group those people along side people who jumped on grenades, carried wounded to safety and died going back for more, etc.

I think there is a difference.

Not everyone who joins the military is a hero. Not everyone who dies while in service to our country is a hero (at least not by the true definition of the word).

I think they should all be honored, certainly. I think they should all be remembered and appreciated for their willingness to serve (as this is a volunteer force and everyone with two brain cells to rub together knows what they are signing up for). When I hear of the fallen I don't sit down and analyze the details of the events leading up to their deaths to classify them. I appreciate their willingness to serve but I won't call every fallen service member a hero. Can't calling them American's be enough? Or honorable? There has to be some words that still hold some kind of meaning for us.

Words matter to me. Their meaning matters to me. I don't use "awesome" much because something has to inspire awe to be awesome. I use "cool" to describe things that are cold to the touch. I like to use the word "hero" to describe people who have gone above and beyond the call and done something...... heroic.

Maybe I'm wrong. And I'm already anticipating the dozens of replies I'm going to get telling me how unappreciative I am and how little I know about the sacrifices military men and women have to make every day and about how heroic it is to even sign that dotted line (or these days, put your finger in the box and give your biometric signature) and enlist. If you're idea of heroics is putting pen on paper (or a finger on a digital box) than it's an exceptionally low bar and it's all gravy from there on. I guess I have just a little higher standard for "heroic." (Them darn word meanings, again.) In which case we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I didn't know who this guy was before this thread (still don't). I guess I don't see what the fuss is all about.

I truly do appreciate all of the sacrifices that have been made for my country and my freedoms. My heart goes out to the men and women and their families who have lost their loved ones to our nation's service. I honor all of them. I think everyone who does or has signed that paper (biometrically or physically) has done an honorable thing and if they have died in that service they should be honored for it. And I will give hero-worship for heroes preforming heroic deeds.

#30 ·
I guess time has passed me by. I don't analyze each battlefield death to determine who died nobly and who went out screaming and crying for their momma with their body parts laying on the ground beside them. The end result is the same. Gone forever. I have stated my case and will leave this thread alone in the future. Happy Memorial Day Holiday fellow gun lovers.

#32 ·
I guess time has passed me by. I don't analyze each battlefield death to determine who died nobly and who went out screaming and crying for their momma with their body parts laying on the ground beside them.
I don't either. And it shouldn't (and wouldn't for me) make a difference even if I could analyze every death. Like I said, I honor all of our service members who have died because they have done an honorable thing in their willingness to serve. Even if they did die cowardly or via and accident it doesn't make them any less worthy of honor for their service. It doesn't make their service null and void. It doesn't cheapen it either.

The only question here (and posed by the link) is how we define a hero.

#33 ·
I nominate Chris Hayes, to be our top negotiator with the Taliban...... he should go by himself, all alone, and meet with them personally.... to discuss all negotiations for peace. This would be "his chance" to show his stuff, what he's made of , and to find out if the rest of the world, and in particular the Taliban, are really all for peace.... and proving to the world that any war with the Taliban is unnecessary.

Jump in there Chris, here's your BIG chance.........

There is a time when you either need to "put up " , or "shut up".

#35 ·
Some years back I watched a Viet Nam movie (Platoon? Hamburger Hill?). The soldiers were talking about draft dodgers going to Canada... when one soldier expressed admiration for those who didn't want to fight, the Sergeant replied IIRC "Not me. Just show up. You don't want to hurt the yellow man, fine. Shoot in the air or don't shoot at all. Just show up."

Just showing up is what makes every member of our military (and public safety professions) Heroes.
To paraphrase- Some will give all; All will give some.

:usa:

#38 ·
I gather my response will most likely be not well accepted but here it is.

As a veteran I do not agree with his statement very much. However as a veteran he has that right due to the Constitution and from all the veterans that served and from those that are no longer with us. He expressed his opinion and that is all it was. Isn't bashing him and calling him names a direct contradiction to the the 1st amendment. (I know the posts will come to say the 1st amendment gives us the right to bash). No one has to like/agree with what he said but shouldn't we be the ones to let him/others say their peace, defend it and move on. I do not condone someone burning the American flag but I defend their right to do so. That means "biting my tongue" if I happen upon it.

As to defining a "hero/heroine" I think it really is more a personal thing within each of us. Some people give hero/heroine status rather loosely such as sports figures, movie stars, politicians, etc. Referencing 9/11 there are those that say the responders were not heroes/heroines since they were doing the job they were paid to do. Strange thing is most heroes/heroines will always say I am not a hero/heroine. Personally my fellow fallen veterans are all heroes/heroines in my book. In fact anyone that has/is served are heroes/heroines.

Flag of the united states Eagle Bird of prey Wing Flag

#40 ·
That's a crying shame.

Although technically the military isn't always fighting for our freedom, sometimes they are just doing the dirty work for our president. We are already free

But nevertheless, our military men serving ARE heros!

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

#45 ·
A high school friend of mine has a son that graduated from college last year after doing a stint in the Marines. He decided to rejoin the Marines and is now serving in Afgoonistan. (two tours already in Iraq) He had other choices, but this is what the brave young man decided to do.

If these kind of actions are not "heroic", then perhaps I have lost touch with the world. Doing what has to be done without question is a hero. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.