Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes' - Page 8

Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes'

This is a discussion on Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Chris Hayes' comments are quite relevant. The guy is a sissy, though. Public apologies are pathetic. So you did not agree with him but you ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Chris Hayes: I'm 'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes'

VIP Member
    Chris Hayes' comments are quite relevant. The guy is a sissy, though. Public apologies are pathetic.

So you did not agree with him but you feel his comments are quite relevant and he is weak and pathetic because he apoligized for the comments, I am not sure how much more in agreement that you could be. Cold Shot the fact that you posted the above comments and are not offended by what this guy said, even though you signed on the dotted line speaks volumes about which direction your moral compass is pointing.

Your moral code was not offended, mine was. Obviously we are from different generations, have different values and sure as hell have different understandings of signing on the dotted line, but to each his own.
    Spirit51 and msgt/ret like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    I served in the Army from '72 to '78 and I remember how returning vets were treated, so I am truly glad that Americans consider them all heroes. But I agree that just signing up and serving does not make one a hero. Yes it potentially puts you in the line of fire but somewhere I read that during WW2 only about 20% of men serving in uniform actually saw combat, but they are referred to as our "Greatest Generation" and they probably are.

One question. What do you call the guy who saves the lives of all his squad members and earns a Silver Star or the guy who was recently awarded the Medal of Honor? If all soldiers, sailors and Marines are heroes, what are they?
    Heroes.

I'm a bicyclist. So is Lance Armstrong.

The Lt I watched die in training before he ever saw a round fly past him is a hero. So was Clebe McClary (Silver Star winner and also a hero for how he continued to inspire troubled youth and others after he came home).
    Spirit51 likes this.

I'll have to go digging through my copies of "The Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip" but IIRC Jeff Coopers view of the use of the term "hero" would probably piss a lot of people off too given the reactions I'm seeing here.

Of course that doesn't mean that Chris Hayes isn't a wienie

VIP Member
    wd, the difference is Cooper had been there done that, showed up, signed on the dotted line and then some. When he spoke people listened because of utter respect and his reputation.

If you could find it I would enjoy the read and I bet it would not piss off as many as you think.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    wd, the difference is Cooper had been there done that, showed up, signed on the dotted line and then some. When he spoke people listened because of utter respect and his reputation.

If you could find it I would enjoy the read and I bet it would not piss off as many as you think.
    Here it is

Jeff Cooper on Heroism
    May 2006 - "We talk a lot about heroes and heroism today. In doing so we denigrate the term. Heroism, properly speaking, is rare. Everybody I knew in World War II fought because he wanted to, but, of course, combat duty does not necessarily involve death. That it involves the chance of death in the line of duty is perhaps commendable, but it is not heroic. The phrase 'above and beyond the call of duty' is indefinable since anything that you can do is what you should do. Lord Nelson defined the heroic death at Trafalgar. He was convinced--correctly--that his wound was mortal. As he lay there on the deck, his repeated words were, "Thank God I have done my duty!' He fought because it was his duty to fight, and he died doing his duty. This is heroism."

link....Xavier Thoughts: Jeff Cooper on Heroism
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Let's just say that calling someone a hero is a bold statement. Somewhere between "This is a good apple" and "God is my co-pilot." With so much gray everybody has their own opinions and definitions and that's the way it should be. Osama bin Laden was a hero to many Arabs.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Why the heck on earth does someone have to sign on a dotted line to be a "hero" or give opinions about what a "hero" is. Mother Theresa was hero to some. People who protested the Vietnam war were heros to some. Some of those "heros" that signed a dotted line somewhere joined the anti war movement. Are they no longer "heros" or do you have to have gone to Vietnam to earn that right to protest? Many who talked out against Hitler in Nazi Germany got in trouble because they did not sign a dotted line.This whole thing is ludicrous.

Sometimes it takes guts to say what one feels even if not universally accepted, right or wrong. Chris Hayes, who cares. I don't. What does that make me? An unfeeling person or an idiot. I can watch an hour of Fox news or MSNBC and find more offensive material than what Chris Hayes wrote. Hero's IMO are silent and humble. They do not go around making qualifications for people and what they can opine about. Also, they do not go around saying "heros have fought for your right to write that crap". That is just throwing something in someones face. At least the "hero's' I know.
    Many of you who have signed that dotted line seem to forget that our rights are there without the need for qualifications. (except the 2nd A LOL). If folks disagree with him fine. But why toss around cliches and saying he needs to walk a mile in "our" shoes to be able to understand and write his dribble.

The hero is the guy with the Silver Star you will never know about you meet at the golf course or at the range or picking up a conversation with while waiting in line at the store. Because frankly he won't let you know he signed some stupid dotted line.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Why the heck on earth does someone have to sign on a dotted line to be a "hero" or give opinions about what a "hero" is. Mother Theresa was hero to some. People who protested the Vietnam war were heros to some. Some of those "heros" that signed a dotted line somewhere joined the anti war movement. Are they no longer "heros" or do you have to have gone to Vietnam to earn that right to protest? Many who talked out against Hitler in Nazi Germany got in trouble because they did not sign a dotted line.This whole thing is ludicrous.

Sometimes it takes guts to say what one feels even if not universally accepted, right or wrong. Chris Hayes, who cares. I don't. What does that make me? An unfeeling person or an idiot. I can watch an hour of Fox news or MSNBC and find more offensive material than what Chris Hayes wrote. Hero's IMO are silent and humble. They do not go around making qualifications for people and what they can opine about. Also, they do not go around saying "heros have fought for your right to write that crap". That is just throwing something in someones face. At least the "hero's' I know.
    Many of you who have signed that dotted line seem to forget that our rights are there without the need for qualifications. (except the 2nd A LOL). If folks disagree with him fine. But why toss around cliches and saying he needs to walk a mile in "our" shoes to be able to understand and write his dribble.

The hero is the guy with the Silver Star you will never know about you meet at the golf course or at the range or picking up a conversation with while waiting in line at the store. Because frankly he won't let you know he signed some stupid dotted line.
    The best part of waking up is folgers in your cup, did you forget yours today.
    Spirit51 and suntzu like this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Switched to de caf

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Switched to de caf
    Houston we have a problem....LOL

VIP Member
    Well Suntzu it is easy for people like him or others to sit back and tell others what it is like being a Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Cop, Firefighter or whatever but all they offer is an uneducated opinion based on whatever dribble they have absorbed and are simply putting it back out.

You are correct hero's come in all shapes and sizes and different walks of life and as you stated anyone can be a hero to someone but he spoke directly about the fallen military members not a football great, Mother Theresa or anyone else heralded at the moment as the hero of all mankind, in speaking of those military members he disrespected their memory and the day of observance which you apparently share those basic sentiments as you would not even post on the matter until that day was over.

Again you are correct most people that fit into the hero category are quiet about their deeds and do not seek attention and they themselves do not set standards for what makes a hero so why should someone who has never "signed on the dotted line", worn a badge, entered a burning building be able to set a standard on something they know nothing about or worse yet belittle or degrade it?

Guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.
    Harryball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well Suntzu it is easy for people like him or others to sit back and tell others what it is like being a Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Cop, Firefighter or whatever but all they offer is an uneducated opinion based on whatever dribble they have absorbed and are simply putting it back out.

You are correct hero's come in all shapes and sizes and different walks of life and as you stated anyone can be a hero to someone but he spoke directly about the fallen military members not a football great, Mother Theresa or anyone else heralded at the moment as the hero of all mankind, in speaking of those military members he disrespected their memory and the day of observance which you apparently share those basic sentiments as you would not even post on the matter until that day was over.

Again you are correct most people that fit into the hero category are quiet about their deeds and do not seek attention and they themselves do not set standards for what makes a hero so why should someone who has never "signed on the dotted line", worn a badge, entered a burning building be able to set a standard on something they know nothing about or worse yet belittle or degrade it?

Guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.
    Wow, you started 2 out of 3 paragraphgs with 'you are correct' LOL. I promise..tomorrow I will be back on extra bold French Roast You are right about the total crappy timing of the article and his knowledge.
    tacman605 likes this.

All kidding aside suntzu, I hold a special spot in my heart for our soldiers. They fight for our country, I will fight for the fallen being called heros. People can agree or disagree with me. Chris Hayes is an idiot of the worse kind.
    suntzu likes this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links