A question of etiquette

This is a discussion on A question of etiquette within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I suppose the grumpy guy gets angry every time this picture comes up. 15photog.3-450.jpg...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: A question of etiquette

I suppose the grumpy guy gets angry every time this picture comes up.

15photog.3-450.jpg
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Actually since 2008 veterans and military retirees are include with active-duty military in civilian attire who are now authorized to salute the flag while it is raised, lowered or passing whether covered or not. I do. "Men not in uniform", i.e. civilians or those who have never served remove their hat and cover their heart as has always been proper etiquette but sadly seems to seldom be followed.

Rules for Rendering Hand Salute of U.S. Flag - Military Benefits - Military.com

We would also salute as scouts in uniform.
    Boy scouts are a form of military and started by a ret colonel that seen the need for boys to have structure and it's not a full hand salute.

That's a good standard to go by. Thing is.....if you are now a civilian and not in uniform, a salute is not necessary. It may be habit although
    Once you are in the military you are always in, it never leave you and you never leave it. A uniform is nice but I don't need one to tell me where my roots are..... You can take the man out of the military but you will never take the military out of the man
    So if I stand up and salute my country’s flag I hope you can understand
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I find nothing in US Title Code 4, Chapter 1, Section 9 that addresses police or firefighters as a separate class of people. Do you have a reference?
    I'll have to dig deeper than google lets me right now, but the rule that I read was that any uniformed 'entity' in the service of the people (be it local, state, national) that is reconized by the the United States and took/swore and oath to that service will salute the flag while in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Boy scouts are a form of military and started by a ret colonel that seen the need for boys to have structure and it's not a full hand salute.

Once you are in the military you are always in, it never leave you and you never leave it. A uniform is nice but I don't need one to tell me where my roots are..... You can take the man out of the military but you will never take the military out of the man
    So if I stand up and salute my country’s flag I hope you can understand
    You earned it!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    I am much more troubled by the guy who sits there drinking his beer and carrying on his conversation while remaining covered than by those who aren't sure whether they should salute or not. Happily, the former is the exception rather than the norm.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    I suppose the grumpy guy gets angry every time this picture comes up.

15photog.3-450.jpg
    lilmarine.jpg

Who wants to tell this lil' guy he's outta uniform and not rendering properly?
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    These days please appreciate any sincere and honest display of respect for our flag by the general civilian population.
    If you want to politely correct somebody for improper flag etiquette then that is fine but, (for sure) do it with kindness as VS anger.
    The mere fact that they are showing some form respect for the flag at all in 2012 puts you both on the same side of an ever increasingly rare fence.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    These days please appreciate any sincere and honest display of respect for our flag by the general civilian population.
    If you want to politely correct somebody for improper flag etiquette then that is fine but, (for sure) do it with kindness as VS anger.
    The mere fact that they are showing some form respect for the flag at all in 2012 puts you both on the same side of an ever increasingly rare fence.
    I couldn't agree more...
    Respect is respect, and I'm not going to split hairs over the 'proper format'.
    The fence that QKS speaks of is growing increasing 'overpopulated' on the wrong side.OMOYMV
    QKShooter and goldshellback like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    In these modern times we're extremely lucky that kids even KNOW who RICHARD STANDS is.

Enjoy! & May God Bless America.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links