US mfg. for US military - Page 2

US mfg. for US military

This is a discussion on US mfg. for US military within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Buckeye thats true. We acquired more stuff from the Army units that was there everyday issue than we ever had knowing we would never see ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: US mfg. for US military

VIP Member
    Buckeye thats true. We acquired more stuff from the Army units that was there everyday issue than we ever had knowing we would never see it.

Keboostman you are correct who is to say what the best is? As stated there are several criteria that would go into the purchase.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Just because it has a foreign name does not mean it its not made in the U.S.A. As had been said FN had their factory in South Carolina. I am curious as to what percentage of our M-9 pistols have Italian making as opposed to Accokeek Maryland. There are a lot of "foreign" products made by U.S. workers in plants in the U.S. that happen to be subsidiaries of foreign companies.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    When buying complex pieces of equipment like a firearm, the Government uses "best value" procurement. This means that price is one of several factors that bear on the decision. Other factors may include testing results, logistics, warranty, commonality, vendor past performance and so on. Price would normally not be the most important factor. I agree with Eric that the goal is to put the best weapon in the hands of the soldier, but "best" is subjective just like the decision each of us makes on what car to buy. Moreover, there is a "Buy America" law that stipulates that the Government must buy equipment built in America absent compelling reasons not to.
    Kickbacks, paybacks, and corruption. The good ole Washington DC dance.

Distinguished Member
    Caertaker has it right, regardless of policy. Being within borders is a simple thought process. Global thinking on this front is absurd. For the question of can we afford it? There seems little doubt that we can afford to support some of the most pathetic and corrupt nations of our time so yeah, we can.

Buckeye....one of the Carolinas?! Dude, what are you thinking? You ain't never been took nowhere.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    SVG. You are applying logic to an illogical scenario. It would make sense to spend the tax dollars wisely and buy quality US made equipment instead of funding goat cloning in Madagascar, how dare you.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    I was afraid it was something like that. Durn
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Well,I'll be the first to tell you that American made firearms are the ones that failed me,the M-9 and the MUESOC/MARSOC 1911,My G21 never failed.Does that mean that I don't have the most profound love for my country(even in it's current state)NO!I will do whats asked of me,and will volunteer if need be,but I want the best weapon for me and my team mates when sent to werever-astan.Just because we call ourselves patriots does'nt mean we should'nt be afforded the best,regardless of cost,and sorry to say,that may not alway's say"Made in the U.S.A."
    P.S.,dont let my rant on this subject confuse you with the love I have for this Country,I don't have all day to explain all the times my gluteus-maximas was out there for it.

I'm fairly certain that any major weapons systems that are purchased from foreign companies have to be made here in the US, for national security reasons.

That's why Beretta has a plant in MD, FN has theirs in SC, etc.

I think this one is covered folks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm fairly certain that this falls under the ITAR http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...rms_Regulation and AECA http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_Export_Control_Act
    Same reason why you have to check the little box when you buy a EoTech or Aimpoint..

Sent from this... Using that...

As far as I know, all US military issue weapons are Made in the USA. Beretta manufactures here, Sigs are made here, M-4/M-16s are made here, 1911s are made here. Part of the conditions on getting the contract are US manufacture. Beretta built their US plant because of that. SIG actually won the original compitition but was not chosen because at the time they were not willing to build a US plant.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    When buying complex pieces of equipment like a firearm, the Government uses "best value" procurement. This means that price is one of several factors that bear on the decision. Other factors may include testing results, logistics, warranty, commonality, vendor past performance and so on. Price would normally not be the most important factor. I agree with Eric that the goal is to put the best weapon in the hands of the soldier, but "best" is subjective just like the decision each of us makes on what car to buy. Moreover, there is a "Buy America" law that stipulates that the Government must buy equipment built in America absent compelling reasons not to.
    The latest "Buy American" agreement has lots of loopholes. If something is made in a treaty country (all of Europe plus others) it qualifies. Some departments of the government can have tighter rules though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links