Defensive Carry banner

US mfg. for US military

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  phreddy 
#1 ·
This has probably been hashed over before. There's another thread discussing the Corp once again adopting the 1911 and I didn't want to pollute the thread. Without regard to platform, I see no reason for adopting a firearm that isn't US manufactured for our military. If the US were truly weak in our offerings it might be a different story. That's not the case. We've got some of the finest manufacturers here and if they don't offer the platform, they can design and build it. In my opinion only, it should say Made in the USA....stamped on the barrel. Just a thought.

#7 ·
Yes in a perfect world that would be great...but, the Military often works on with the lowest bidder and an all US firearm would probably not make the cut and if they took out the lowest bidder and went with all US could we even afford it?

If we took out all the non US weapons/equipment in the militaries inventory we would not have much left. Many are made by FN M4/16, 249, 240, the 416 by HK, handguns by Beretta and HK, subguns by HK. I do not know who has the contract for the M2 .50 cal. Many tactical items although purchased from US companies are made overseas like Blackhawk, it is made in Vietnam.

In regards to the M4/16. The contract has been awarded to different manufactures other than Colt so I don't know who has it now.

#11 ·
I wanna say our Ma Deuces were made by FN as well, or at least the newer ones, because we had some oldies. But I believe they have that contract as well.

I do however, believe that Fabrique National Herstal (FNH of FN), has their separate subsidiary, FNH-USA, and that a lot of our FN weapons had rollmarks as being made in North Carolina, although I'm not positive. But I seem to recall seeing/hearing somewhere that most of their military weapons are actually made in America, by the American arm of the company.

203's are made by Colt.

#8 ·
Disagree! I want the best freakin gun made in my hands when in combat. Period! If that gun just happens to be made in the USA, even better.

#12 ·
FNH-USA has a manufacturing Plant in Columbia, SC.

From their Website:
"Where are FN products made?

FN’s manufacturing facility in Columbia, SC is one of only three organizations designated by the U.S. government as the industry base for small arms production. All FN handguns are manufactured in the U.S., as are the M240 line of medium machine guns and the M249 line of light machine guns."

Based off their corporate structure, it appears that the Herstal Group based in Belgium owns Browning as well.
FNH USA

#13 ·
Eric that is fine we would all like the best, but, that is not how the government works.

Lowest bidders, ability to resupply, unit level maintenance, politics, training and so on would all be taken into consideration. Not bashing US products at all but who would choose the best? It may not be US made at all who knows.

Glad to hear FN has a plant in the US. I don't know though whether they manufacture everything there or just assemble parts like Glock does. Thanks for the info on the .50 cal, the ones we had here were twice the age of the guys manning them so did not know about new ones.

#14 ·
When buying complex pieces of equipment like a firearm, the Government uses "best value" procurement. This means that price is one of several factors that bear on the decision. Other factors may include testing results, logistics, warranty, commonality, vendor past performance and so on. Price would normally not be the most important factor. I agree with Eric that the goal is to put the best weapon in the hands of the soldier, but "best" is subjective just like the decision each of us makes on what car to buy. Moreover, there is a "Buy America" law that stipulates that the Government must buy equipment built in America absent compelling reasons not to.

#18 ·
Kickbacks, paybacks, and corruption. The good ole Washington DC dance.

#15 ·
Beni, Columbia SC is right, I knew it was one of the Carolina's.

Tacman, most of our M-2s were the same way, and quite old. But, one day I know all of our machine gunners were really excited, and someone in the logistics side must of messed up, because we got a brand new M-2 in the armory. Marine infantry never gets new stuff, its all hand-me downs, like being a middle child.

Actually though, it is a somewhat logical progression, because of the ties JMB had to FN over in Belgium back in the day.

#16 ·
Buckeye thats true. We acquired more stuff from the Army units that was there everyday issue than we ever had knowing we would never see it.

Keboostman you are correct who is to say what the best is? As stated there are several criteria that would go into the purchase.

#17 ·
Just because it has a foreign name does not mean it its not made in the U.S.A. As had been said FN had their factory in South Carolina. I am curious as to what percentage of our M-9 pistols have Italian making as opposed to Accokeek Maryland. There are a lot of "foreign" products made by U.S. workers in plants in the U.S. that happen to be subsidiaries of foreign companies.

#19 ·
Caertaker has it right, regardless of policy. Being within borders is a simple thought process. Global thinking on this front is absurd. For the question of can we afford it? There seems little doubt that we can afford to support some of the most pathetic and corrupt nations of our time so yeah, we can.

Buckeye....one of the Carolinas?! Dude, what are you thinking? You ain't never been took nowhere.

#20 ·
SVG. You are applying logic to an illogical scenario. It would make sense to spend the tax dollars wisely and buy quality US made equipment instead of funding goat cloning in Madagascar, how dare you.

Reactions: Guest1
#22 ·
Well,I'll be the first to tell you that American made firearms are the ones that failed me,the M-9 and the MUESOC/MARSOC 1911,My G21 never failed.Does that mean that I don't have the most profound love for my country(even in it's current state)NO!I will do whats asked of me,and will volunteer if need be,but I want the best weapon for me and my team mates when sent to werever-astan.Just because we call ourselves patriots does'nt mean we should'nt be afforded the best,regardless of cost,and sorry to say,that may not alway's say"Made in the U.S.A."
P.S.,dont let my rant on this subject confuse you with the love I have for this Country,I don't have all day to explain all the times my gluteus-maximas was out there for it.

#23 ·
I'm fairly certain that any major weapons systems that are purchased from foreign companies have to be made here in the US, for national security reasons.

That's why Beretta has a plant in MD, FN has theirs in SC, etc.

I think this one is covered folks.

#25 ·
As far as I know, all US military issue weapons are Made in the USA. Beretta manufactures here, Sigs are made here, M-4/M-16s are made here, 1911s are made here. Part of the conditions on getting the contract are US manufacture. Beretta built their US plant because of that. SIG actually won the original compitition but was not chosen because at the time they were not willing to build a US plant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.