Expunged arrest record and becoming a LEO?

This is a discussion on Expunged arrest record and becoming a LEO? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A bit of backstory some of here may remember this from a few years ago. I'll give the short version I was arrested on two ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 4 Post By Landric

Thread: Expunged arrest record and becoming a LEO?

A bit of backstory some of here may remember this from a few years ago. I'll give the short version I was arrested on two felony counts. The state attorney decided not to file charges against me,I had the record of my arrest expunged. This happened in Florida were I still live,and I know I must and plan to disclose it when I apply to the sheriffs office.

I'm not a convicted felon and still have all civil rights including the right to have and use gun I even had my ccw renewed with no issues. I'm 33 and that was the first and only time I was ever arrested and I was in fact innocent. Will this automatically disqualify me from becoming a LEO by itself?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I don't see why it would matter. No official charges were filed, and you obviously weren't convicted. Anyone could be arrested for anything. It's the charges and conviction that matter.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    You should be good to go. You will have to do some explaining if you apply.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Speaking only as an average Earth being with no professional ties to any end of the judicial system, arrests with no convictions should have no bearing on future employment. As you pointed out, there are no limitations on your civil rights, nor should there be.

Now if you had a dozen arrests on your record but no convictions, I suspect that would set off alarm bells and your character would be called into question.

Perhaps someone in the LE biz can add a reality check here about the significance of an arrest record when applying for LE work.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Submit a detailed letter explaining what happened with your application and see what happens.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Should not be a problem as long as you are honest about it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    It shouldn't be a problem, there is a big difference between being arrested and being convicted. Especially since the states attorney made the decision not to charge you. As others have said, be up front with any questions that arise from it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Make sure you have a letter from the prosecuting attorney's office stating that all charges were dropped or the court's disposition of the matter. On the local or state level this ordeal may not be a problem, but things may show up on a federal level check. You may be surprised if you go online and look up your own public records. Things of this nature won't take care of themselves and you'll be the one that has to make sure the court clerk's office has the correct information.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Speaking only as an average Earth being with no professional ties to any end of the judicial system, arrests with no convictions should have no bearing on future employment. As you pointed out, there are no limitations on your civil rights, nor should there be.
    Absolutely true, but getting a job with a LE agency isn't a civil right. Just the fact of an arrest can have an effect on a hiring decision in sensitive positions like law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Now if you had a dozen arrests on your record but no convictions, I suspect that would set off alarm bells and your character would be called into question.

Perhaps someone in the LE biz can add a reality check here about the significance of an arrest record when applying for LE work.
    The reality is that guilty people are arrested all the time and not prosecuted for one reason or another. Generally speaking those of us in law enforcement see this enough to figure that anyone who is arrested was likely guilty and simply found a way to get out of it or just got lucky. Granted, that isn't always the case, but it is usually the case.

I remember the OP's story from some years ago, and from what I recall it sounds like he actually was legitimately innocent (at least based on his side of the story). However, lets face it, jobs are hard to come by these days. If the SO has two equally qualified people, one with a felony arrest record and one with no arrest record, which do you think they will hire?
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Links