H&K MP5: The Best CQB Weapon Iíve Ever Kicked to the Curb

This is a discussion on H&K MP5: The Best CQB Weapon Iíve Ever Kicked to the Curb within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The times they are a changin.' H&K MP5: The Best CQB Weapon I've Ever Kicked to the Curb | ThinBlueFlorida.com lg_mp5.jpg Randall...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Speedyfish

Thread: H&K MP5: The Best CQB Weapon Iíve Ever Kicked to the Curb

Very nice write-up.enjoyed reading it.

Thanks, glockrocker!

Great write up, sub guns are great within their limitations but an AR carbine makes more sense against today's thugs.

Great write up. I can't argue that sub-guns in pistol calibers can handle a majority of close encounters quite effectively. And no doubt, the MP5 in its various configurations is the Cadillac of sub-guns.

I'm of the opinion that survivability can only be enhanced if you are prepared for rare situations as well as for the majority of situations. Years ago there was a real need for sub-guns in CQB as most rifle caliber weapons were too powerful, ungainly and too cumbersome to use in that role. However, with the modular design of the AR platform, with short barrels, collapsible stocks, and a variety of calibers with ammo tailor made for close range, they have taken an otherwise cumbersome and more difficult rifle to wield in close encounters, and made it adaptable to handle CQB situations quite well.

While I really like the MP5 and have shot several, I won't ever give up my Colt Govt. Carbine and have been seriously considering an NFA SBR version as a companion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I work for an LE Distributor, and we've seen a lot of agencies dumping MP5's for AR15s and M4s for the reasons listed in the article, but also because of the tendency of 9mm to over-penetrate through walls and people more than lighter weight, higher velocity 5.56 rounds, which will usually fragment and not pass through multiple walls, etc.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

redbeardsong, that's a good reason I didn't touch upon. We actually still have a dozen MP5's because one of our administrators thinks there is less penetration in houses with a 9mm than with 5.56. I was ignored when I advised there were studies supporting just what you outlined. Ah, the rarified air of command.

Randall

I recently sold my class 3 MP5 in favor of my 10.5" LMT.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links