Stolen Valor Act is Struck Down by Supreme Court

This is a discussion on Stolen Valor Act is Struck Down by Supreme Court within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wonder what happens the first time some one walks into court of law and says "No thanks, I don't want to be sworn in, I ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Stolen Valor Act is Struck Down by Supreme Court

Lead Moderator
    Wonder what happens the first time some one walks into court of law and says "No thanks, I don't want to be sworn in, I want to exercise my 1st amendment right upheld by the US Supreme Court to lie". Where is the line, a lie is a lie!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Wonder what happens the first time some one walks into court of law and says "No thanks, I don't want to be sworn in, I want to exercise my 1st amendment right upheld by the US Supreme Court to lie". WHere is the line, a lie is a lie!
    Pretty much puts an end to perjury charges. I can hear the DA saying: "You swore under oath to tell the truth." Defendant reply: "Yeah, but I was lying."
    Last edited by archer51; June 30th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Pretty much puts an end to perjury charges. I can hear the DA saying: "You swore under oath to tell the truth." Defendant reply: "Yeah, but I was lying."
    All you have to do is retract your statement. The precident has been set:

Holder retracts claim Bush team knew about Fast and Furious | WashingtonExaminer.com

Personally I'd call it a lie...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I expected this; lying is legal unless used to commit fraud.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In response to the above "Taking the oath" comments, I wonder what would happen if called to testify and you said, "No, I don't think so," when taking the oath?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Without lies how could a person ever get elected to public office?

Michael
    If this happened OBAMA would be in PRISON since he Lies constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    We need to look at the repercussions of Government involvement. Would they exempt themselves?

Michael
    They already do exempt their Law Enforcement along with other Government Agencies from Lying because it is considered OK to Lie to us but not OK to Lie to them.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In response to the above "Taking the oath" comments, I wonder what would happen if called to testify and you said, "No, I don't think so," when taking the oath?
    Well when Congressmen and other government workers violate their oaths they claim that their oath of office is merely a formality. That it is only for show and not binding. When ordinary citizens violate the oath they take before testifying before these same creatures they are told that a violation of their oath to tell the truth will result in jail time.
    Strange how that works.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Unless you had a valid exception, you'd rightly be held in contempt.

I guess we will have to revert to wall to wall counseling for these individuals.
    The easy way is always mined.

I'm not surprised by this. I guess nobody wanted to upset John Kerry about his Purple Hearts ...
    msgt/ret and CIBMike like this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    I'm not surprised by this. I guess nobody wanted to upset John Kerry about his Purple Hearts ...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Especially the one he got from firing the thumper into the river bank and fraggin himsef....

I wonder though...so now, what happens to the liar who embellishes himself and uses said embellishment to get grants, funding, job, etc.? Lock him up for fraud? After all, this law being struck down is now going to create a whole legion of 'self appointed war heroes'.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Especially the one he got from firing the thumper into the river bank and fraggin himsef....

I wonder though...so now, what happens to the liar who embellishes himself and uses said embellishment to get grants, funding, job, etc.? Lock him up for fraud? After all, this law being struck down is now going to create a whole legion of 'self appointed war heroes'.

It's not just "self appointed war heroes". This stuff has been going on for years. How many politicians have "misspoke" about being Vietnam vets when it turns out that they were really Vietnam era veterans who never left the United States? People embellish their resumes to the point that they could win a best fiction award. Elizabeth Warren's claim of Native American heritage (she's running against Scott Brown in Massachusetts). Scott Thompson resigned as CEO of Yahoo after it was discovered that he had padded his resume with a degree in computer science that he had never earned. Professors now run a doctoral candidate's thesis through a search engine to check for plagarism. Apparently, the new credo is that you have to cheat to win because everyone else is doing it and therefore, the end justifies the means.

We have so many people in important positions with false credentials that it's no wonder the country is in the shape it is in. When you put liars and crooks in charge, this is what you get.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

From Crowman-
    Way cool........

I am a Major General......

I was wounded in WWI

I was wounded in WWII

I was wounded in Korea

I was wounded in Vietnam

And then I retired........ Honest I ain't lying

Don't forget that RPG you took at the Battle of Little Big Horn. That was close, I hear you almost lost that one.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    If this happened OBAMA would be in PRISON since he Lies constantly.
    If that happened 98 percent of ALL politicians would be in prison.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    If that happened 98 percent of ALL politicians would be in prison.
    This other 2%. Are they dead, retired, already in prison...what's up with them?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links