Stolen Valor Act is Struck Down by Supreme Court

This is a discussion on Stolen Valor Act is Struck Down by Supreme Court within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor Act for military medals - BostonHerald.com SAN DIEGO -- The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down the Stolen ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Stolen Valor Act is Struck Down by Supreme Court

Stolen Valor Act is Struck Down by Supreme Court

Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor Act for military medals - BostonHerald.com

SAN DIEGO -- The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down the Stolen Valor Act, which made it a crime to lie about receiving military medals.

By a 6-3 decision, the high court said the right to lie about medals and military service, while unattractive, is protected by the First Amendment.

The decision came in the case of Xavier Alvarez, a former member of the Three Valleys Municipal Water District in Southern California. Alvarez had claimed he was a former Marine and recipient of the Medal of Honor; in fact, he had never served in the military.

Alvarez, a resident of Pomona, Calif., was sentenced to three years’ probation, a $5,000 fine and community service. His attorneys appealed; the 9th Circuit of Appeals upheld his appeal, and the Department of Justice appealed to the Supreme Court.

The law was passed by Congress in 2005 and signed by President George W. Bush. It called for a possible one-year prison term.
    Apparently, you can legally lie about being a veteran who has received military honors, now. I'm not sure how this is any different than lying about being professionally licensed, a doctor, active military, or LEO. This is absurd and a slap in the face to veterans and soldiers in arms, everywhere. Anyways, I guess it is OK to lie about military service to get a firearm/ammo discount, too. Not that I would... Just wanted this thread to be firearm related.

2. Remove Ads

With some exceptions lying is a despicable act. However allowing the government free will to pick and choose which lies are worth being punished for is scary. Now if the private sector wishes to hand out punishment my shunning or publicly embarrassing a liar that is fine.
    Before I retired I recall a number of people who I worked with being fired when it was found that they lied on their applications. As it should be.

Michael

Hey these days, you can pretty much lie about anything without repercussions. A sad state of affairs too, if you ask me. This country no longer has a moral compass. Individuals still do, but this country as a whole, is really slipping into the abyss.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    All Veterans are familiar with the DD-214 and as far as I know we all have one.
    CIBMike and ptco911 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Reality is, liars who get caught-out are known as liars. There aren't many businesses or others who would take such a person seriously after it was determined the person was intentionally lying. Seems sort of silly to have this, that or the other law criminalizing lying beyond the ramifications one already faces, IMO. Unfortunately, as others have noted, lacking a moral compass, more and more liars are getting ahead by such acts.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well, I guess if Obamacare is constitutional EVERYTHING ELSE IS ALSO,,,,, even lying.
    scgunlover1 and ptco911 like this.

My opinion is that lying should be protected under the First Amendment; however if it is for monetary gain, should be a crime.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Hey these days, you can pretty much lie about anything without repercussions. A sad state of affairs too, if you ask me. This country no longer has a moral compass. Individuals still do, but this country as a whole, is really slipping into the abyss.
    Without lies how could a person ever get elected to public office?
    How could the average Joe pick up hot chic's in bars?
    What would fishermen talk about?
    What would happen to the one hole groups they talk about at my gun club?
    What would happen to the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Unicorns and global warming?
    We need to look at the repercussions of Government involvement. Would they exempt themselves?

Michael

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Without lies how could a person ever get elected to public office?
    How could the average Joe pick up hot chic's in bars?
    What would fishermen talk about?
    What would happen to the one hole groups they talk about at my gun club?
    What would happen to the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Unicorns and global warming?
    We need to look at the repercussions of Government involvement. Would they exempt themselves?

Michael
    How would you ever convince the wife the new S&W 642 only cost 50 bucks?
    Or your new Glock 30 has been laying around in the safe for years?
    Anda, anda, anda
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    you can't lie about being ugly
    Bark'n and thephanatik like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Here I can. I am beautiful!
    Spirit51 and W9HDG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    You can if the "ugly" is on the inside.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The system is completely twisted. More concern by those in power about what is legal rather than what is right. So sad.
    The Old Anglo and Spirit51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pappou68 View Post
    The system is completely twisted. More concern by those in power about what is legal rather than what is right. So sad.
    I do not want the Supreme Court to rule on what is right. I want them to only rule on what the Constitution says. The idea of whats right changes depending on who is in power.

Michael
    Rollo, torgo1968, l1a1 and 1 others like this.

You can't make lying illegal,what would obama and holder do.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links