Columbia Police Department, SC switching to 9mm FNs from .45 Sigs

This is a discussion on Columbia Police Department, SC switching to 9mm FNs from .45 Sigs within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glad they have more ammo on tap, just wish it wasn't 9mm. A .40/10mm has large-ish capacity, AND a big round. But, I'm also glad ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lotus222
  • 1 Post By doctruptwn
  • 1 Post By RevolvingMag

Thread: Columbia Police Department, SC switching to 9mm FNs from .45 Sigs

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Glad they have more ammo on tap, just wish it wasn't 9mm. A .40/10mm has large-ish capacity, AND a big round.

But, I'm also glad that they're getting them from a Richland County, SC business- an FN subsidiary.

Columbia police to use Richland Co.-made guns - Crime & Courts - TheState.com
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

The new guns, that were manufactured locally, hold more bullets and fire a more lethal round.

Read more here: Columbia police to use Richland Co.-made guns - Crime & Courts - TheState.com
    Uh??? Say what?

Don't get me wrong, I carry a 9... but I don't know where one would get off calling it a more lethal round...

How about "... but the 9mm gets there faster"?

I'm not saying that it's a well written article... just that the bit about the police switching from a .45 Sig to a 9mm FN is a point of interest.

Yeah... the 'more lethal' 9mm, which has a higher capacity 'clip', and gets there faster than a .45 with a lower capacity 'clip'... I really wish they would do like the York County PD, and go to a .40. Unfortunately, YCPD uses Glocks in .40, but... we can't all win, right?

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    maybe they switched for $$$ reasons (no I didn't read the article)

of the 3 major calibers 9, .40, .45....9 is the least expensive per round, and with budgets the way they are...

in October it will be 2 years since we switched from having a choice of 9 or .45 in Sig, S&W, HK, or Glock....to G19 or 17, and it was for $$$, more rounds for training
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    maybe they switched for $$$ reasons (no I didn't read the article)

of the 3 major calibers 9, .40, .45....9 is the least expensive per round, and with budgets the way they are...

in October it will be 2 years since we switched from having a choice of 9 or .45 in Sig, S&W, HK, or Glock....to G19 or 17, and it was for $$$, more rounds for training
    Maybe. The article says the department is spending $140,000 on new guns and holsters. Doesn't mention ammo spending.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    They probably got a good ammo contract, as well. I couldn't imagine them doing this otherwise. I might be working on a job in Columbia soon. ...Too bad GA and SC have no reciprocity. I don't get it... We are next-door neighbors.
    tclance likes this.

sgb
    With the current availability of ammunition that passes the FBI protocol the 9mm gives up nothing to the .45acp. The FN 9 is a good sidearm and should serve them well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Here we go with media hype again. 9mm more leathal and higher capacity clips. All handgun calibers are leathal if you put the projectile where it needs to go. Like shot placement . And clips are for chicks its a magazine. Loooks like some need more training than they are recieveing. Stay safe everyone. Train hard and fight easy.

The only prob I had with the FN-9,is if you are a thumbs foward shooter as I am,you can inadvertantly engage the slide stop with your thumb under recoil,I see this issue with students quite often.

It's all about money and how much it is costing departments to buy ammo for qualifications. The Big dept in my state is doing the same thing and came up with some cover story about 9mm having been improved since the last time they switched from 9mm to 40S&W. Basically it is a ploy to keep the sheep from realizing that they are going to spend a million dollars to replace perfectly good firearms, so that they can save money on qualification ammo.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    It's all about money and how much it is costing departments to buy ammo for qualifications. The Big dept in my state is doing the same thing and came up with some cover story about 9mm having been improved since the last time they switched from 9mm to 40S&W. Basically it is a ploy to keep the sheep from realizing that they are going to spend a million dollars to replace perfectly good firearms, so that they can save money on qualification ammo.
    Yeah.. but we (being those of us in Columbia) will probably get access to some really inexpensive Sig .45s in the next few months.
    phreddy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Yeah.. but we (being those of us in Columbia) will probably get access to some really inexpensive Sig .45s in the next few months.
    I was about to add on to post in reference to this.....that $140,000 price tag probably did not include the $$$ they will get from selling the Sigs
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sponsored Links