LE encounter and wrongfully being asked to disarm

This is a discussion on LE encounter and wrongfully being asked to disarm within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I use to work as security for a mall by where I live a long time ago and have come to know many officers that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: LE encounter and wrongfully being asked to disarm

I use to work as security for a mall by where I live a long time ago and have come to know many officers that have responded to our calls. One of them however has a "cops should be the only one with guns" mentality. He knows I have mine and carry 99% of the time. I was going to a movie this one night that he happen to be moonlighting as their security. As I was entering the lobby he approached me and asked if I was carrying, being up front about it I said I am carrying and handed over my card. He then asked me to disarm and leave it in the car. I know for a fact that the theater doesn't ban carry, nor does the mall it is attached to. And the most obvious part it isn't posted on the entry way that carry is banned. I remarked back to him even tho it isn't banned and isn't posted I will respect his request and leave it in my car. I feel that he took advantage of my respect for LEO's that I wouldn't refuse to disarm. Any thought on how this went and what would have been a better choice or if I made the right choice.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Your answer might lie in the fact that he was not acting in the capacity of a law enforcement officer. It appears he was exerting his personal view on concealed carry of weapons by the general public. Or, maybe he just doesn't care for you and decided to hassle you.

As far as the right choice.... as long as you are comfortable and can live with the choice you made it is the right choice. I am sure you will see various posts that will tell you that your made the right choice and the wrong choice.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

You'll get a lot of different answers on this one. I think you're right about your LE acquaintance using "personal" knowledge of you to your disadvantage; what about all the patrons walking by him that were armed that he didn't know about? But it sounds like you handled it diplomatically and survived the night without incident.

You might make that incident known to the theater's management, and respectfully ask that they make their policy about allowing lawfully carry of weapons known to all their security staff.
    oneshot, sgb and goldmaster like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would have told him to "suck it" if telling him "none of your business" didn't work. What would he have done if you didn't tell him, search you? Arrest you?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

VIP Member
    When he asked if I was armed I would have said "nope" and went about my business.
    Inspector71 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I 'm with Crowman afa whatever makes you comfortable. Another route would be "Hi Joe, this establishment doesn't ban CC so if you don't mind I'm gonna get back to enjoying my evening". He definitely crossed the line when he used info you apparently confided in him to further his own agenda. Another reason for never telling - even friends/LEOs.

Or just lie since he wasn't acting as an LEO.
    oneshot and CaptSmith like this.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Sounds more personal than professional. The problem is, if you complain to the theater management, the next thing you know, he will have them convinced to post a gun buster sign. I would probably consider it an isolated incident and leave it alone. You might win the battle but lose the war.
    atctimmy and ppkheat like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I think I would bring it up to his agency and give them as big of a complaint as I could but remain as tactful as possible, letting them know that their officer wasn't very professional in handling your situation. When a line is crossed by either side, something should be done to educate and keep things in check.
    sgb and 64zebra like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Interesting subject? If you are in a must notify State and an off duty cop makes it known that he is a cop and wants to know if you are armed do you have to notify? I would think yes you do. Back in the stone ages, 1950's when my father was a cop they considered him on duty 24 hours a day if he was needed.

Any ideas?

Michael

I believe it depends on the nature of the interaction. Even when on duty, if a LEO approaches you in an unofficial manner (shooting the breeze, asking for directions) you don't have to notify. This was not an "official interaction".
    sgb and rolyat63 like this.

If he was wearing the uniform of LE then it makes no difference whether or not he was moonlighting or on duty, he is representing himself as a law enforcement officer and is still held to that level of professionalism. If he was wearing his LE uniform then I would follow up with a written letter to his supervisor at the department he serves with detailing exactly what occurred and request clarification on why he acted in the manor he did. Do not forget to specifically state that he was in official uniform during this interaction.
    64zebra, Pistology, sgb and 1 others like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    What NC Bullseye said. BTW, how many did you imbibe at the attached watering hole before the approach? We both know that your blue nemisis isn't working alone.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If he was wearing the uniform of LE then it makes no difference whether or not he was moonlighting or on duty, he is representing himself as a law enforcement officer and is still held to that level of professionalism. If he was wearing his LE uniform then I would follow up with a written letter to his supervisor at the department he serves with detailing exactly what occurred and request clarification on why he acted in the manor he did. Do not forget to specifically state that he was in official uniform during this interaction.
    Good idea. He may be "bullying" others also.
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Unfortunately, this guy could have completely ruined your evening as well as that of other movie goers.

Had you not disarmed because you were still legally able to carry, he could have created a scene that would have certainly made the evening a disaster. He could have also called in the local PD (his buds) stating that an armed man was in the theater and refused to obey his order to disarm. Imagine how that could have turned out.

Egos like this one make dealing with people the worst contact sport there is.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

If I am in a state that allows CC of civilians where not banned specifically by law (such as Texas) and enforced with signage, I am carrying. Does the law say I MUST show ID if the officer is not on duty and has no legal reason to stop me, I am not telling him anything and going about my business. If the business wants to refund my money and tell me to leave, I will do so and advise them that they need to conform to the laws or face possible lawsuits for their actions. If that cop represents their business, he better know their policies, and further, he should be there for safety, and not enforcing a business policy personally.

And here is my biggest point: "So, let me get this straight.....you want me to disarm myself, trust that another person (police officer) that has no constitutional or legal requirement according to court decisions to protect me individually or my family, just society, will actually protect me and my family, and place my weapon into a car that could easily be under criminal surveillance when I walk out to it just to see where wives hide purses or weapons placed into trunks and could be quickly broken into during my movie and the weapon stolen because you think only cops should carry? Uhm, no thank you. If you have no other business, I am going to watch my movie now. Have a nice night"

If he wants to escalate from there, and I know I am not doing anything criminal, it is on him, but if it does and I am sure that I am doing nothing criminal, I begin recording the event, and I am asking him to contact a supervisor from his department to come by and find out if he is in policy with his own department for that.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links