Mich. cop shot 5 times tells off judge

This is a discussion on Mich. cop shot 5 times tells off judge within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I trust that the officer in this case will crusade for the victim's of all unjust shootings, whether committed by street criminals or law enforcement ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Mich. cop shot 5 times tells off judge

I trust that the officer in this case will crusade for the victim's of all unjust shootings, whether committed by street criminals or law enforcement officers.

2. Remove Ads

"I just can't figure how someone who tries to kill a police officer can be walking the streets in a few years," he said. "This is our criminal justice system."
    I can't understand how ANYONE who tries to kill another can be walking the streets in a few years. The more heinous and callous such attempts get to be, the clearer it seems that tossing out the "bad eggs" might be the only viable option.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sentences don't seem to match the crimes....you would think a person attempts murder there wouldn't be much difference in the sentence fo if they had succeeded. The fact that he's a bad shot is the difference between life and a couple years. Intent was the same.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Isn't this what has been wrong with our justice system since ...forever?

Murderers and rapists get the same sentencing as the guy growing some mary jane in his backyard (or maybe I should have described it vice-versa). The only difference is, the victim in this particular situation is LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Isn't this what has been wrong with our justice system since ...forever?

Murderers and rapists get the same sentencing as the guy growing some mary jane in his backyard (or maybe I should have described it vice-versa). The only difference is, the victim in this particular situation is LEO.
    in bold:which should not even be an issue.....
    Lotus222 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This had a thread running a couple of months ago....I think the LEO is out of line. He was not in uniform, not on duty. Why should a criminal get a harsher sentence because he is a LEO? He should get a harsh sentence period.Here is the link to the other thread running:
    Shoot a LEO in the D, get "only" 14 yrs.
    Officer was absolutely not out of line. The sentence was low for anyone being shot like that, not just a ploice officer.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I agree with those that say the fact that the person being shot was a police officer should have no bearing on the sentence. A persons job description, race, sexual orientation or any other group membership should matter. The only thing we should be considering is that a person got shot and the shooter was not adequately punished.

Michael
    suntzu likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This had a thread running a couple of months ago....I think the LEO is out of line. He was not in uniform, not on duty. Why should a criminal get a harsher sentence because he is a LEO? He should get a harsh sentence period.

Here is the link to the other thread running:
    Shoot a LEO in the D, get "only" 14 yrs.
    Thanks for the link to the previous posting.

The reasoning, to me, is very simple. The LEO told the BG that he was a LEO, and if a scumbag will still attempt to murder an officer he sure as heck won't give two squats about an average Joe civilian. The BG thusly proves himself to be completely without a conscience and doubly unworthy of enjoying freedom.

While I do agree that the guy should get a harsh sentence no matter whom he tries to kill, this is one of the ways to enhance a less than perfect system. I personally believe that a scum like this deserves nothing more than a quick death.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links