EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, military and critical government systems are already hardened to resist EMP. From the Cold War days. Would not be the end of the world ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

Well, military and critical government systems are already hardened to resist EMP. From the Cold War days. Would not be the end of the world folks.

If nukes go off, you got bigger issues than EMP...and so does whoever set them off. We still have boomers on patrol...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    An EMP would most likely disable newer vehicles (via their sensitive electronics) and modern communication equipment in close proximity to the blast area. The rest of the mayhem will be due to rolling power grid failures. An EMP launched into the upper atmosphere could also take out satellites and would only have to be 'fairly' close to have the desired effect, possibly on multiple satellites. That would be a mess.

Best vehicle to have for such a scenario: a pre-1970s model with old points and condenser and keep spare points, condenser, starter coil and plugs in a shielded box (preferably grounded). When I was in the Navy in the '80's they pulled a test barge up and down the east coast with a low level EMP generator to test the effects on local systems. The results were said to have scared the 'blank' out of them. Their proposal to prepare for such an event was to dust off the old electron tube HF radios to be prepared to set up a relay system like in the old days. It was said that the least effected frequency spectrum was HF and the least effected components were the old glass tubes. I got out before hearing if they actually acted on it though. Looks like the 'preppies' have it right, the KISS principal.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    A devastating Coronal Mass Ejection, like the Carrington Event, is more likely, and subject to cause much more widespread damage to all things electrical than an EMP attack.
    While I am inclined to agree, a Carrington Event may be more likely, the end result is the same. A break down of order and chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    EMP= Electro Magnetic Pulse

As long as I can get gas no problem, siphon hose and hand pump. As far as supplies, being in hurricane country we maintain plenty.
    Have a 1972 Datsun 240Z breaker points and condenser, the only thing electronic is the radio.

Attachment 60974 Attachment 60975
    I figured you must have a pre-1980 vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    Older cars will probably be OK but when the grid goes down, there go the gas/diesel pumps. Components can be protected in wire shields called 'faraday shields' if you have enough warning. A nuclear EMP has no warning. A Carrington Event has a couple days warning. Goto SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids Solar panels will probably not work any longer depending on their configuration and diod setup. All up, massive EMP is about the worst SHTF senerio. Three days to chaos and 21 days to starvation for most and somewhere in there, there may be a lot of shooting.
    I actually have a small Faraday cage. It's weird but, one of the transmitter sites I worked at had a bunch of old 50's Civil Defense gear and other stuff. When we cleaned it out and a lot of it was being thrown away, I kept it. It's about the size of a college refrigerator. I have no idea what it was originally for but I'm sure I could put some electronics in it and maybe they would survive if I had some warning.

I agree about the time line to the total break down in order though.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    The biggest threat it the power grid. I dont have to elaborate what would happen there.

All power plants use transformers to step up the voltage to send it downline. Losing those transformers at the plants and on the telephone poles would be devestating as we have a very limited amount and likely the replacments would be fried too.

No power for a long time would knock us all right back into the 18th century. Those of us that lived through the initial onslaught anyway.
    TN_Mike and Rock and Glock like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Your gun safe will probably act as a good faraday cage. I have a spare radio (hand cranked) and a few other electronis items in mine.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The biggest threat it the power grid. I dont have to elaborate what would happen there.

All power plants use transformers to step up the voltage to send it downline. Losing those transformers at the plants and on the telephone poles would be devestating as we have a very limited amount and likely the replacments would be fried too.

No power for a long time would knock us all right back into the 18th century. Those of us that lived through the initial onslaught anyway.
    And most of the large transformers (ones at power plants) are made in Germany. I am not aware of any still made in teh good ole USofA
    TN_Mike likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well, military and critical government systems are already hardened to resist EMP. From the Cold War days. Would not be the end of the world folks.

If nukes go off, you got bigger issues than EMP...and so does whoever set them off. We still have boomers on patrol...
    Actually, that's not entirely accurate. As the book states, and I remember hearing while I was in the Navy and after, during the Reagan years, we did harden the electronics of the time. Since then however, that has not been a priority of any administration since. And, the electronics of newer generations are not only more advanced, but more susceptible to an EMP and less protected from one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    An EMP would most likely disable newer vehicles (via their sensitive electronics) and modern communication equipment in close proximity to the blast area. The rest of the mayhem will be due to rolling power grid failures. An EMP launched into the upper atmosphere could also take out satellites and would only have to be 'fairly' close to have the desired effect, possibly on multiple satellites. That would be a mess.

Best vehicle to have for such a scenario: a pre-1970s model with old points and condenser and keep spare points, condenser, starter coil and plugs in a shielded box (preferably grounded). When I was in the Navy in the '80's they pulled a test barge up and down the east coast with a low level EMP generator to test the effects on local systems. The results were said to have scared the 'blank' out of them. Their proposal to prepare for such an event was to dust off the old electron tube HF radios to be prepared to set up a relay system like in the old days. It was said that the least effected frequency spectrum was HF and the least effected components were the old glass tubes. I got out before hearing if they actually acted on it though. Looks like the 'preppies' have it right, the KISS principal.
    I was in after that test was conducted but I remember seeing the write ups on it. And no, they never did act on any of it. It was way easier to just decide that an EMP was a less likely probability. That's the way government works for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    And most of the large transformers (ones at power plants) are made in Germany. I am not aware of any still made in teh good ole USofA
    Actually we have a plant 2 miles from me that builds very large transformers. The types used in generating plants and sub-stations.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Actually we have a plant 2 miles from me that builds very large transformers. The types used in generating plants and sub-stations.
    That's good to hear, I know the hydro dam next door to me (300 yds away) has transformers (at least 2) stored in the power house, but I don't know how well they would function after an EMP like event

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Good stuff here. Lights Out is a great read too. There are some e-copies floating around if you know who to ask.

Senior Moderator
    The last two bigs ones that we got for our Nuclear plant came by way of barge...from France of all places. From what I was told, it was a two year wait just to get them built and sent.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I keep tin cans and a roll of string on hand. Who needs electronics to communicate?
    TN_Mike, msgt/ret and aceakarick like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I read One Second After last summer and it was an eye opener. I see EMP as a very real threat because even if not carried out as an attack (high atmespher detonation of a nuclear weapon) it can happen naturaly by means of solar flares.

Thinking about weaponized EMP it is truley fascinating because the blast is so high the blast and fallout is said to not be a threat.

Your most immediate fatalities would be in aircraft and people on life support. Not having fuctioning cars, fire and emergency medical equipment will certainly lead to more fatalities in the first few days to come (airplaines gatta crash somewhere and so do cars when they lose power to the brakes).

Areas of high crime would most certainly take a turn for the worse and with no phones and radios the national guard wont be on speed dial. Not to mention depending on how vast an area the EMP affects, the military might as well go back to mounted cavalry. Expect a few months response time for relief.

As I think about all of the places I could have moves last year, Memphis is a very scary place for this sort of event to happen. Even if you go up towards Brownsville which is a pretty rural area, there are a few prisons. Any CO's in here who know what happens to a prison with no power? I mean NO power as in generators too! Im curious.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Have a 1972 Datsun 240Z breaker points and condenser, the only thing electronic is the radio.

Attachment 60974 Attachment 60975
    Your z-car looks wonderful. I used to own one. Same year, black, bbs wheels.

Fun... fun... fun...

I want another one!
    msgt/ret and Cory1022 like this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Administrator
    Some pretty smart people who are in no way related to anything survival, 2012, SHTF, doomsday etc. are predicting greatly increased solar activity.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links