EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario? - Page 3

EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A CME is certinally the most likely sceaniro, and even a 'small one' can hurt. Right now, our sun in entering the hight of it's ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

A CME is certinally the most likely sceaniro, and even a 'small one' can hurt. Right now, our sun in entering the hight of it's eleven-year magnetic pole shift. In simplified terms, the north and south poles of our sun switch sides..... happens every eleven years. This occurance is marked by increased sun-spot activity, which are the 'spots' where CME's occur. Being an old Naval communicator (submarines.... boomers even) I had to keep up with these events.... they effected my comms (especially VHF and higher frequencies, think satallites and LOS comms) and had to be accounted for while we, as submariners, were out on patrol and essentially cut-off from the world. I still follow sun-spot activity here:
    SOLARHAM.com / Solar Cycle 24 / Spaceweather / Amateur Radio VHF Aurora Website
    We've already had a few high-impact solar flares this year, but no 'big' CME's........
    The Navy's comms are highly succeptable to the EMP/CME 's.... only some of the equipment is 'hardened', but it's the most essential equipment that'll survive, HF being the 'best' survivable comms assets. Submarines are considered a highly survivable asset..... being underwater is the perfect shield aginst EMP/CME's.

As for the aftermath of a devestating EMP/CME event....... if you can't survive the initial 3 monthe of living in the new dark-age, it's game over. Survival skills are a must, but 'collateral' skills...... hunting, farming, building..... any and all of those 'forgotten' 18th and 19th century skills necessary to 'live' will be what raises your precentage of surviving after the loss of our infastructure. Those skills are golden and will be more valueable than any gold or money.

I haven't read the two books yet, but they are now on my reading list! I'm extreemly intrested now.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

60s Volkswagens...no electronics and you don't need to waste any of your water in a radiator.
    msgt/ret, TN_Mike and Dutch1951 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am currently reading a book titled "One Second After" that is about a man living in a small town in North Carolina and what happens to him and his town after an EMP attack on the USA. It is written from his point of view so, just as if it were happening to you, when the power goes out, the cars stop running and all electronics and communications and electricity goes down, we do not know who did it, or why. It is a good book so far.

One thing it has got me thinking about is what would I and my family do in the event of an EMP attack on the USA.In my job I have to drive up to 2 hours away from home. I am wondering what I would do if an EMP attack happened while I was that far from home or in transit. I now am thinking about putting together a bag with food bars and water, different clothes from what I have to wear for work (because I am not going to want to hike a long distance in khakis and a collard shirt), and I would want to have some type of rifle with me. I am thinking about a Kel Tec SU-16D because it folds up and uses AR15 magazines which I have a lot of and it is chambered in 5.56. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me hear them.

And what do all of you think of the EMP scenario? From some things I have read, other than this book, this seems a real possibility to me. And a scary one too.
    I don't know if I think right after it happened, getting out of your car and starting the hike home with a rifle in your hands would really be smart. Think about it - everybody getting out of their cars, slowly starting to freak out, then here you come with a rifle strapped on. I would say you'd be drawing too much attention to yourself. I think I would just prefer my handgun. Sure I want a rifle for the long run, but maybe something still concealed for the first impact while out in public. Just my 0.02.

That said I have almost completed our BOB bag, put first aid kits and h2o in both vehicles. Prob should finish off with food and a few more supplies.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I also read One Second After and what hit home with me was that MANY people had firearms but very FEW had enough ammo to hold out for very long.
    Do yourself a favor and get a. 22 rifle and a few bricks of ammo for the SHTF day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    JoeK, TN_Mike and JerryMac like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I actually have a small Faraday cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Your gun safe will probably act as a good faraday cage. I have a spare radio (hand cranked) and a few other electronis items in mine.
    Keep in mind, Faraday cages are traditionally made of a fine wire mesh. The gun safe might work, but no Faraday cage is effective unless it's grounded.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken the epilogue for One Second After was written by a former military officer with credentials that made his opinion worth something. His take was that this sort of scenario is more a given than a possibility.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Ear plugs, tin foil, rubber boots and gloves just got put on my weekly shopping list.

EMP as weapon is interesting topic. I always wonder how 'hardened' our military stuff is against this.

On that newer show "Falling Skies" (this second season is much better than first, btw), they mentioned that the aliens used EMP weapons in initial invasion, and now all the vehicles that you see them driving are older style.

I wonder if there's some way to build a simplified Farraday Cage around your house. Maybe something like a grounded lightning rod at each corner????
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    60s Volkswagens...no electronics and you don't need to waste any of your water in a radiator.
    Even more justification for finishing the '69 Bug I'm restoring (Class 11 style). Bug out Bug!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    There is another book too - Lights Out. Same scenario. Good book.
    I just started "The Pulse" same premise.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Have a 1972 Datsun 240Z breaker points and condenser, the only thing electronic is the radio.

Attachment 60974 Attachment 60975
    Sweet!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I don't know if I think right after it happened, getting out of your car and starting the hike home with a rifle in your hands would really be smart. Think about it - everybody getting out of their cars, slowly starting to freak out, then here you come with a rifle strapped on. I would say you'd be drawing too much attention to yourself. I think I would just prefer my handgun. Sure I want a rifle for the long run, but maybe something still concealed for the first impact while out in public. Just my 0.02.

That said I have almost completed our BOB bag, put first aid kits and h2o in both vehicles. Prob should finish off with food and a few more supplies.
    The new Ruger 10/22 Takedown might be a good solution to that. You would have access to a rifle if needed but you can discretley carry it in such a situation as described above.

I havnt shot one but Im impressed by what I have seen and it has many posative reviews. For anyone who dosnt know what Im talking about its a 10/22 with a synthetic stock that literaly breaks in half with the push of a button and a twist. To me it seems like a perfect stow and go rifle for a BOB
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    This thread has got me thinking, what would the effect of an EMP on a pacemaker or implanted defibulator be. After all we are not supposed to go through metal detectors due to the emissions and have to accept the TSA grope instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    The new Ruger 10/22 Takedown might be a good solution to that. You would have access to a rifle if needed but you can discretley carry it in such a situation as described above.

I havnt shot one but Im impressed by what I have seen and it has many posative reviews. For anyone who dosnt know what Im talking about its a 10/22 with a synthetic stock that literaly breaks in half with the push of a button and a twist. To me it seems like a perfect stow and go rifle for a BOB
    Picked up a 10/22 TD a month or so ago. Fun, accurate gun to shoot and easy to tote. Would probably have to cover the big Ruger logo on the included backpack, though!

Thanks for the "Lights Out" tip.
    I was looking for some Audible books for my upcoming hospital visit...just purchased it...looking forward to the 'listen'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links