EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario? - Page 6

EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't mean to be pessimistic but I really don't think any of us that live in a major metropolitan area honestly stand a chance ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I don't mean to be pessimistic but I really don't think any of us that live in a major metropolitan area honestly stand a chance if it really did hit the fan. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being prepared and I should probably prepare a lot more than I currently am however I really don't see us lasting very long.

I'm in Florida, everyone will go the same direction(North) and everyone is going to have the same thought: "I need to make it to the mountains or another secluded area". 300 million American will be fighting for the same place to pitch a tent.

I'm not saying I would just give up, but if things were really that bad then no level of preparation is going to make a difference after a few weeks.

I'm just going live my life and hope life never gets that bad. If it does then I'll go out on my own terms.

There is a lot of merit to staying at home if TEOTWAWKI occurs. Sure, it depends on "home" and a lot of variables, but you hit several of the "Bug-Out" problems square on the money. A Bug-Out can be a Bug-O-Problems if you don't have somewhere planned.
    OD*, TN_Mike and 9mmspecial like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Autos are not grounded absent a grounding line. Thus auto fail one requirement of a Faraday Cage.
    Really? What makes the VW Golf in the vid so special? Think they grounded it? nope.

Tin foil covered boxes generally not grounded... why do they work as Faraday Cages?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

One of Joel Rosenberg's novels ends with N Korea launcing 4 nukes, 1 ea from ships (under some other countries flag-don't remember which one) within mi of the coast off NYC, Miami, LA, and Seattle. Set to detonate something like 25 mi up.

I hope we are REAL good at knowing where all the stray nukes are.

And I thought Lights Out was an excellent read.
    Will have to pick up One Second After.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well if the SHTF I do not plan on going to work. I hope to get my kids and some other family members to come here in the country. We will form our own little community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Really? What makes the VW Golf in the vid so special? Think they grounded it? nope.

Tin foil covered boxes generally not grounded... why do they work as Faraday Cages?
    I thought Faraday Cages needed to be grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

your home computer is essentially a Faraday cage... it has perforations... it is grounded... it may not "connect" to anything after an EMP strike though.. and there may be a surge through electrical lines that knock it out... but the atmospheric EMP burst would not affect the PC directly... except through the surge through the POWER lines (not the ground)
    But apparently not.............

A Faraday cage is best understood as an approximation to an ideal hollow conductor. Externally or internally applied electromagnetic fields produce forces on the charge carriers (usually electrons) within the conductor, generating electric currents that rearranges the charges. Once the charges have rearranged so as to cancel the applied field inside, the currents stops.

If a charge is placed inside an ungrounded Faraday cage, the internal face of the cage will be charged (in the same manner described for an external charge) to prevent the existence of a field inside the body of the cage. However, this charging of the inner face would re-distribute the charges in the body of the cage. This charges the outer face of the cage with a charge equal in sign and magnitude to the one placed inside the cage. Since the internal charge and the inner face cancel each other out, the spread of charges on the outer face is not affected by the position of the internal charge inside the cage. So for all intents and purposes, the cage will generate the same DC electric field that it would generate if it was simply affected by the charge placed inside. The same is not true for electromagnetic waves.

If the cage is grounded, the excess charges will go to the ground instead of the outer face, so the inner face and the inner charge will cancel each other out and the rest of the cage will retain a neutral charge.
    Effectiveness of shielding of a static electric field depends upon the geometry of the conductive material. In the case of a nonlinear varying electric field, and hence an accompanying varying magnetic field, the faster the variations are (i.e., the higher the frequencies), the better the material resists penetration, but on the other hand, the better it passes through a mesh of given size. In this case the shielding also depends on the electrical conductivity of the conductive materials used in the cages, as well as their thicknesses.
    That's my story and I am sticking to it.
    OD* and TN_Mike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Are you sure? An EMP would fry the computer in your vehicle and render it useless.
    I only have about 12 miles to drive to work so even if I had to walk it could do it in about 3 hours.
    You'd still be going to work after an EMP attack?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    You'd still be going to work after an EMP attack?
    Nah...assuming that it happened while I was at work, I'd be able to get home. I work full time at a Nuclear Plant... if I could get out and not be sequestered there forever due the the emergency.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If the stuff does hit the fan, I'm stayin in FL. Wild hogs, plenty of fishing, turkeys everywhere, fresh water...who needs to head for the hills.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie57 View Post
    I have seen reports that show yes it would take out a vehicle and I have seen reports that show that the vehicle will act as a faraday cage and the electronics will be protected. For me I'm getting in and trying to start it. If it
    doesn't work then I'm hunting a pre-80's vehicle on my trip home. Sootch00 just put up a video the other day talking about his get home bag, which is exactly what you would be looking for.
    That was a great video! Thank you for posting that! It helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I thought Faraday Cages needed to be grounded.

But apparently not.............

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
    Same here. I have always been taught that they had to be Earth grounded. If not, and I will be doing some more research into it, then I can make my own Faraday Cage and feel pretty good about it. It would be great in the event of an EMP if my Jeep survived.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I went out yesterday and got "One Second After" from my local library. I must say, it made me realize the need to step up my preparation! I'm going to the LGS to snag up some ammo and to the grocery store to get some more canned food.

Scary stuff... it may never happen, but I like to be prepared for anything.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The book has been a real motivation for me to prep too. I want to comment on the EMP concept later (electrical engineer by trade) but want to do some research first. I have a bit of a hard time envisioning it damaging too much equipment but would certainly disrupt RF communications for a while.

Interesting coincidence...immediately after finishing Lights Out there were a couple of articles in national publications on how the gov't had done nothing to harden the US against the threat of EMP.

Who knows how true the articles are?
    TN_Mike likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Get an old Pickup,or old VW Rabbit, with a diesel. Fully mechanical, no electronics at all.
    Heck, if its a manual tranny, the Rabbits are light enough to push start even. No starter needed
    msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    My concern is the nuke plant 50 miles up the road. What happens to them during an EMP attack? Will the cooling pumps still have electricity?

My other concern is water. I have two wells on my property. One is old and had a hand pump that is rusted in place. I'd like to get that repaired and maybe get a wind mill to run it.

I have 51 acres of woods for fuel to heat my home and if I had a wind powered well then I'd have water too. The way I see it you need heat/shelter, water and food to survive. Once the well is fixed I'll have 2 out of 3. Food isn't so hard to find. I keep some stored and I can always eat woodchucks if needed. ; )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links