EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is a great book, really makes you think! However, I think I'd starve before I'd eat my Golden Retriever!...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: EMP weapons. The most likely SHTF scenario?

That is a great book, really makes you think! However, I think I'd starve before I'd eat my Golden Retriever!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That is a great book, really makes you think! However, I think I'd starve before I'd eat my Golden Retriever!
    I was thinking the same thing when I read the book.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, maybe we could barter. I'll trade you my setter for your retriever in the event of an EMP. That way we will both die fat and happy.
    pgrass101 and goldshellback like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was under the impression that Rabbits were too "lean" for contiuous consumption, although I reckon it's better than nothing?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    I was under the impression that Rabbits were too "lean" for contiuous consumption, although I reckon it's better than nothing?
    I've been told that too. I was told that if you use rabbit as your main source of meat that you need to find some other source of fat or else you will get sick.
    I also recall reading something about a guy who lived with a tribe of Eskimos and kept accurate journals regarding their diet, which consisted of almost all meat. There are two things that I recall. One he commented on the surprise that scurvy wasn't an issue even with the lack of fruit and vegetables and also that health of his teeth and gums improved. Two, there was a period where they had only very lean meat (no fat) and that he got "sick" but that the "sickness" cleared right up as soon as they were able to add some fat to their diet. What I read didn't describe what he meant by "sick" though and I wish it had.

Nuts to those of you worried about fats...! Really.. nuts... peanuts, sunflower seeds, flax seed, pistachios, etc. pecans walnuts, and others too... and there's always that 5 gallon drum of olive oil... or crisco...or some other staple fat.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member
    I have an "aquaintance" who lives a few hours up the coast from me (Maine), not too far from the now mostly-retired VLF communications array in Cutler, which was at one time considered to be on the list of first-strike targets. When he built his home (on a couple hundred acres of land) he included a subterranian fallout "bunker" that would make most preppers require a change of underwear. Reinforced concrete, completely lined with copper screen. Tunnel access to/from the basement of his house, of course (well who would want that?) - The best part IMHO is that the "bunker" includes a garage with ramp access, where he keeps his Land Rover. Excessive? yeah... I'd say so, but he apparently had the piles of money to spend. Oh.. and as you might imagine, he converted most of his financial resources into precious metals (gold, silver and lead) in 1999 in anticipation of the Y2K meltdown. I've got to say though, he did the whole thing very well. When you approach his house (via the half mile or so of driveway) all you see is a ranch style house with attached 2-car garage, a few towers out back and a very nice garden & greenhouse... the only thing that looks a little odd is the three 500 gallon LP tanks, but they were mostly hidden by shrubs the last time I was there.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

When the Government and the media quit referring to your house as a home and start calling it a compound your time is short.

Michael
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    When the Government and the media quit referring to your house as a home and start calling it a compound your time is short.

Michael
    I dunno... The Kennedy Clan still has a couple of "compounds"... They're still around.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I dunno... The Kennedy Clan still has a couple of "compounds"... They're still around.
    I should have said if you were non royalty your time is short.

Michael

mel
    Great book. Makes you think a little further about preparing for worst case scenarios.

Not going to stand on the soap box but our country's infrastructure is in need of major upgrades.

Us sub guys still rely on the Cutler transmitters. Sounds like your buddy has done it up right.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Us sub guys still rely on the Cutler transmitters. Sounds like your buddy has done it up right.
    My folks live right on the coast in Cutler as well, with a great view of the antenna array. Being a long-time Amateur Radio Op, I often find myself staring and drooling.
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Great book. Makes you think a little further about preparing for worst case scenarios.

Not going to stand on the soap box but our country's infrastructure is in need of major upgrades.
    Yep, that book is a definite "eye-opener". I know that it is pretty unlikely that someone will ever succeed in lofting a nuke over the CONUS, but given the growing contingent of folks that hate us just 'cause we're Americans it stands as a stark reminder that there are those who'd happily send us to the "Stone Age" if they ever got the chance.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Senior Moderator
    Here's a good podcast to listen too Matthew Stein: How Prepared Are You? | Peak Prosperity

Matt Stein has written a really good book "When technology fails" that I recommend he stresses the three B's Beans, band-aids, bullets and learning skills now.
    OD* likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links