Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract

This is a discussion on Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD* I do too. Funny the Corps chose the exposed beer opener though. Never heard that term, care to explain? It does ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I do too.

Funny the Corps chose the exposed beer opener though.
    Never heard that term, care to explain? It does look like a great pistol. I sometimes wish I bought mine with the rail .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Never heard that term, care to explain? It does look like a great pistol. I sometimes wish I bought mine with the rail .
    That's what the old head's called the lanyard loop on the mainspring housing.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Well heck why don't we get rid of those light weight high capacity m-16's and give em M1 garandes with tan stocks...since we are basing life and death decisions on nostalgia.
    sparkykb likes this.

I am happy to see the ole warhorse coming home. The 1911s we had were beat to crap and looked worse. They just kept shooting. I would like to get my hands on the testing results. Wonder if they are built loose.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

This makes me very, very, happy. I think I'll go to the VFW tonight and celebrate. Then in the morning go shoot my Colt!
    GeorgiaDawg and 64zebra like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Somebody forgot to tell them that the 9mm/.40s&w is just as effective with the right ammo.

I like it, looks great. I wonder if the short trigger is for wearing gloves?
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Well heck why don't we get rid of those light weight high capacity m-16's and give em M1 garandes with tan stocks...since we are basing life and death decisions on nostalgia.
    That's funny, considering many in the sandbox are practically begging for a larger caliber rifle, just like many have been begging for a return to .45 after being underwhelmed by 9mm.

It's not just nostalgia, the ones that made this decision have used this platform, and know that it works for them. Would an HK45 have worked just as well? Sure! Would they have had to retrain their armorers on a new platform and start an entirely new parts supply? You betcha!

I have no interest in getting in a caliber urination match, so I'm just gonna say that I'm pretty sure more thought went into the decision than just "Remember those? They sure were swell. Let's get some!"

VIP Member
    Hmm, I could have sworn that I posted in this thread... I guess a pointy stick came along and wiped it out.
    Last edited by OPFOR; July 20th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

So when can I get one :) :)
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

The light weight cheap stuff LE carries will not hold up to deployments and being issued year after year.
    The Colt served us for many years very well it was also very cost effective. I never had to spend a dime on one that was issued to me to get it to work.
    And don't try to tell me it was not accurate, qualified first time every time with one.
    We did not go to the 92/96F because it was better. We did it because of NATO and some felt it was more PC.
    I for one am happy at least some will be returning to a US made side arm.
    Keep your plastic for use on the streets they are fine weapons but in the field you need a tank not a sports car.
    And if the oh I heard the Special forces are using xxxxx so what in those case they can throw them out and replace them any time.
    Standard issue needs to live up to a different standard one is a long life under harshness conditions.
    NH_Esau likes this.

VIP Member
    Many, many armed services use "plastic" weapons in combat, including our own. The M16 family of rifles, ridiculed at the time of their introduction for being "made by Mattel," is now the longest serving rifle in US military history. Glocks, HKs, and numerous other "plastic" handguns and rifles are in service - and have BEEN in service - in combat for decades. It is ludicrous to claim that they can't stand up to harsh conditions.
    sparkykb, Tangle and Toorop like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Many, many armed services use "plastic" weapons in combat, including our own. The M16 family of rifles, ridiculed at the time of their introduction for being "made by Mattel," is now the longest serving rifle in US military history. Glocks, HKs, and numerous other "plastic" handguns and rifles are in service - and have BEEN in service - in combat for decades. It is ludicrous to claim that they can't stand up to harsh conditions.
    Not to mention there are reports of several if not a majority of the test samples of the Colt pistol darn near self destructed, cracked frames, cracked slides etc...

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not to mention there are reports of several if not a majority of the test samples of the Colt pistol darn near self destructed, cracked frames, cracked slides etc...

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.
    Ok history time Mattel never had anything to do with the M16, that came from them making a toy look a like that was ok then so the rumor started that Mattle was making plastic parts for them. It lives on to this day
    No weapon ever made has spent as many year been issued to as many hands as the .45 colt. It was a sound weapon then it is still sound weapon.
    Glocks have had their list of issues as have nearly every weapon ever sent out int the real world.
    As good and strong as the 92F was it had issues come up once it spent time in the field.
    own a few Colts carried a few shot many never had one crack or break. Few mag issue from wear. And we treated them to a rough life. By the time we turned them in some were so worn you could not read any of the stamping on them.
    I give the 92/96F it's due but given a choice I would take the Colt .45
    Last edited by OD*; July 20th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I do too.

Funny the Corps chose the exposed beer opener though.
    I'm best guessing that they are actually going to use the mainspring housing lanyard loop in conjunction with one of the newer retractable lanyard styles.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Smitty901;2325836]
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.[/QUOTE
    Ok history time Mattel never had anything to do with the M16, that came from them making a toy look a like that was ok then so the rumor started that Mattle was making plastic parts for them. It lives on to this day
    No weapon ever made has spent as many year been issued to as many hands as the .45 colt. It was a sound weapon then it is still sound weapon.
    Glocks have had their list of issues as have nearly every weapon ever sent out int the real world.
    As good and strong as the 92F was it had issues come up once it spent time in the field.
    own a few Colts carried a few shot many never had one crack or break. Few mag issue from wear. And we treated them to a rough life. By the time we turned them in some were so worn you could not read any of the stamping on them.
    I give the 92/96F it's due but given a choice I would take the Colt .45
    No offense, First Sergeant, but I know the history of the M16 quite well. I put "made by Mattel" in quotation marks for a reason. However, the point stands: major parts of the M16 family of rifles are "plastic," as are major parts of MANY other combat weapons. You said "keep your plastic" because they "had no place in the field." That is, very demonstrably, an incredibly untrue statement.

Secondly, I didn't say anything about the M9. In fact, I didn't say anything about the 1911, either. I said that "plastic" in combat weapons has a long, successful, and absolutely PROVEN track record. That is undeniable fact.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links