Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract

This is a discussion on Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by WHYDAH Not at all, sir. Its an Anza - handmade from an industrial file. Here's the link: Anza Knives Custom Hand Made ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHYDAH View Post
    Not at all, sir. Its an Anza - handmade from an industrial file. Here's the link: Anza Knives Custom Hand Made Knife
    CURSE YOU!!!! something else I now HAVE to save up and buy....I love the pigslayer and the swat knife....dangit
    and will probably get the NAM2 for a buddy of mine as a gift
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm still looking at a 1911 for the collection.... and this has me drooling.....
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Uhm... "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy, by fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

Attention to detail Devil.
    8 April 2013 will be 20 years since I picked up my book of knowledge, the old " green monster". :)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

All of this talk about how awesome 1911's are and nobody has posted these pictures yet?

test Article Photos of MARSOC Winning Colt Rail Guns - Soldier Systems

If these Colts self destructed after 12,000 rounds and won, I'd hate to see what the Springfields looked like....

Our MEUSOC 1911's failed also,after the fine sand polished the hammer-sear surface to the point we started getting hammer follow,greatful to have been able to carry my G21
    10thmtn likes this.

VIP Member
    wow, pretty shocking to see the photos in that link, I hope it was a bad batch of metal, etc
    if Colt won the bid I'd hate to see what the others did after 12,000 rounds
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Distinguished Member
    We all know that manufacturers are capable of making better 1911s than we are seeing in those pictures.

But you have to take into consideration the nature of contract bidding.

Colt: "We can make a gun for $900/unit that lasts 12,000 rounds, or for $1,500/unit that last 20,000 rounds"
    Committee: "$1,000 per unit, you say?"

VIP Member
    Ug. Four out of five test pistols failing catastrophically? I would love to find more about the testing/bidding/selection process, if MARSOC thought that an 80% failure rate was good-to-go...

Sheesh.
    sparkykb likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    wow, pretty shocking to see the photos in that link, I hope it was a bad batch of metal, etc
    if Colt won the bid I'd hate to see what the others did after 12,000 rounds
    Me too, but the pictures of the Springfield's weren't stolen, funny huh? The matter is being looked into by the Feds & Colt. We aren't getting all the story, yet.
    64zebra likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Being an old Jarhead, I think the reason they chose a steel gun is because of the mission of the Marine Rifle Squad, " to locate, close with, and kill the enemy, or to repel the enemies assault through fire and close combat".

The all steel pistol is better up against someones "grape" in that last part.
    Once again you understand what many do not about the difference in something you may want as a CC or OC compared to a weapon that must hold up to real combat .
    It is much more than just putting rounds in paper.
    I am sure I have forgot a few failures on my old .45's but the they must have been darn few because those I carried where darn good IMO.

VIP Member
    Being an old Ranger, I think the reason they chose them is because.... Nah, never mind.

They are purty, I'll give them that. And really, THAT is the most important factor in a combat weapon system.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Well heck why don't we get rid of those light weight high capacity m-16's and give em M1 garandes with tan stocks...since we are basing life and death decisions on nostalgia.

Yeah.....the decision wasn't based on nostalgia. It was based on the fact that the US Military has to use FMJ ammo. Not sure if you are aware of this or not but, the 9mm FMJ round is one of the most anemic man stoppers out there. The bullet is very fast. There have been many shootings of people with FMJ 9mm who weren't even aware that they were shot, some multiple times because the rounds simply zipped right through them without doing much damage at all.

The .45 FMJ round, while not as good at dropping someone like a .45 hollow point, still does a pretty good job of knocking a bad guy down. Much, Much better than 9mm FMJ. The Marines have wanted to drop the 9mm since almost the day it was forced on them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Yeah.....the decision wasn't based on nostalgia. It was based on the fact that the US Military has to use FMJ ammo. Not sure if you are aware of this or not but, the 9mm FMJ round is one of the most anemic man stoppers out there. The bullet is very fast. There have been many shootings of people with FMJ 9mm who weren't even aware that they were shot, some multiple times because the rounds simply zipped right through them without doing much damage at all.

The .45 FMJ round, while not as good at dropping someone like a .45 hollow point, still does a pretty good job of knocking a bad guy down. Much, Much better than 9mm FMJ. The Marines have wanted to drop the 9mm since almost the day it was forced on them.
    Kind of off base. This isn't about the Corps dropping the 9mm, its about replacing 1911s with 1911s. The M9 isn't going anywhere for the rest of the Corps. MARSOC has been using .45s for a while, the big issue regarding nostalgia is that they are still opting for the 1911 when there are other viable options in .45, some of which have all ready been tested and are in service with other units, such as the SEALs using the Hk45c.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Well heck why don't we get rid of those light weight high capacity m-16's and give em M1 garandes with stocks...since we are basing life and death decisions on nostalgia.
    This is why we have emptied the armories of the old ("nostalgic"?) M14 rifles and sent them all to the sandbox. They work. They work better than the newer 5.56 NATO rifles, particularly at longer ranges.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    That's a good looking gun. I generally find the 1911 to be a good looking gun, but darn, that's a good looking gun.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links