Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract

This is a discussion on Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OPFOR Indeed. The M14 had they shortest service life of all infantry rifles. The M16 series has had the longest. While that ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Colt wins the MARSOC (CQBP) contract

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Indeed. The M14 had they shortest service life of all infantry rifles. The M16 series has had the longest. While that isn't the end all and be all definition of which is "better," it certainly says SOMETHING about the relative merits of the two systems.

I'll gladly share my thoughts (oops, too late!) on these weapons if you want to make the thread... :)
    Timing is everything.
    The m14 was long and heavy. The combat loads were going up NBC gear more and more to carry some thing had to give. The M16 had been working it's way in to the system for some time .
    The current M4 has proven to be a fine weapon for job. No madder what you issue someone will have a problem with it.
    They hated the .45 till we got the 92F. Only one I know that liked the 92F were in headquarters.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Marines' New Colt M-45 CQBP Shows Critical Damage, Wins Bid Anyway - Gun News at Guns.com

Should have went with the GLOCK. So much for the perfect pistol!

Sorry guys just stiring the POT!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    i love it when folks publish stories and opinions based on internet chatter without knowing all of the facts.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    i love it when folks publish stories and opinions based on internet chatter without knowing all of the facts.
    seems like a pretty well written story....even had the numbers for the guns that failed are you saying this is a lie?

Here is a also an article from an industry magazine.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/07/20...ing-colt-guns/
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    seems like a pretty well written story....even had the numbers for the guns that failed are you saying this is a lie?
    Does he go into detail as to how the tests were done? Were the springs changed as they would be during routine maintenance for a 1911? Were these pistols pushed to the limits on purpose to see what they could and could not withstand? Was this test done specifically to see at what point the pistol WOULD fail? What did the Springfield pistols do in the same test that Colt won out on?

This topic has been beaten to death on every forum out there and MANY of these questions have been answered or at least some real insight given by those that know. The writer of this article didn't bother researching obviously, but merely wanted to bash either the Colt name or the 1911 in general.

Does he go into detail as to how the tests were done? Were the springs changed as they would be during routine maintenance for a 1911? Were these pistols pushed to the limits on purpose to see what they could and could not withstand? Was this test done specifically to see at what point the pistol WOULD fail? What did the Springfield pistols do in the same test that Colt won out on?

This topic has been beaten to death on every forum out there and MANY of these questions have been answered or at least some real insight given by those that know. The writer of this article didn't bother researching obviously, but merely wanted to bash either the Colt name or the 1911 in general.
    Your right Glock would have been a much worse option Glock 21 Torture test - Theprepared.com

I doubt they SHOT the 1911, or through it out of an Airplane.

And guys guys i'm just stiring the pot....I own a couple of 1911'a they are good guns.....I'm sure many thing were taken into consideration when they selected a new pistol. I just thought it was funny when I came across that article....

Rob you can pull test after test off the internet all day long, some showing complete catastrophic failures and some showing unfathomable damage and still having a pistol that fires. The Glock vs. ???or 1911 vs. ??? debate will go on until the end of time. The point I made is that people will report without knowing facts and/or reporting them in order to sway opinions. Ever watch the news or read the papers?

I do have a question, though, if anyone that knows the facts can answer me. Was the Glock ever looked at as a possible sidearm for the US Military? If so, why wasn't it chosen?

The pictures of those test-Colts are rather shocking.
    Does anyone know what's behind the cracking?
    Was it just a bad batch of steel? Do you see this happening frequently with many high-round Colts (or Springers, etc.)?
    Was it a particular killer test?
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Rob you can pull test after test off the internet all day long, some showing complete catastrophic failures and some showing unfathomable damage and still having a pistol that fires. The Glock vs. ???or 1911 vs. ??? debate will go on until the end of time. The point I made is that people will report without knowing facts and/or reporting them in order to sway opinions. Ever watch the news or read the papers?

I do have a question, though, if anyone that knows the facts can answer me. Was the Glock ever looked at as a possible sidearm for the US Military? If so, why wasn't it chosen?
    Just an FYI.......Just because the Military chooses a pistol doesn't means its the best or even good....
    One job that the people who procure things for the military have done a good job is picking things that are not suited for the job or things that are of sub quality. Don't believe me google the Chauchats machine gun. That was a terrible idea!

Switching a pistol across the Armed service takes an "Act of congress". Look at when they first went to the M9 beretta, the SIG was even stated as a "Better pistol" the Beretta was choosen do outside reasons. When you switch across the entire military logistical questions come into play. I'm pretty sure after careful consideration, they said well we have all these part, mags, ammo for the guns might as well go with the old 1911. Does that mean its a better option "NO" it simple means they went with what they had. Just an FYI there are Military Units carrying Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    The pictures of those test-Colts are rather shocking.
    Does anyone know what's behind the cracking?
    Was it just a bad batch of steel? Do you see this happening frequently with many high-round Colts (or Springers, etc.)?
    Was it a particular killer test?
    We have no idea of the test procedures yet, such as how rapidly the rounds were fired, we have no idea what loadings were fired, we have no idea of the state of the weapons (dry/moist, dirty/clean etc.) or what abuse they were subject to. I know a couple people at Colt, one posts at a 1911 board I moderate on, he has all the info on this but can’t divulged much yet, because the Feds and Colt are investigating on how, and by whom these photo’s were stolen. The pictures that showed up on the interent were stolen, amazingly though, none of the Springfield's test pictures were (and their pistols were voluntarily removed because of parts breakage). Now, the Colt employee that posts on the forum says they have test pistols with well over 16,000 rounds through them with no damage of any kind (wonder why those picture weren't stolen?). As I posted earlier in the thread, there is a great deal we don’t know about these tests. Regardless of what some internet hero thinks he knows, they do not know more about the actual testing procedures or the pistols failing than the Marine Corp and corporate does. Colt may have received some bad stainless forgings, (they may try using carbon steel) they may have been using a proof type load, we just don’t know EVERYTHING yet.

And until we do............
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links