Was SFC sold out to appease Afghans?

This is a discussion on Was SFC sold out to appease Afghans? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was SFC sold out to appease Afghans? - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times Scares me, Especially since Im a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: Was SFC sold out to appease Afghans?

Was SFC sold out to appease Afghans?

Was SFC sold out to appease Afghans? - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Scares me, Especially since Im a gunner on my MATV for my squad....
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

2. Remove Ads

He was not only sold out he was served up by a new system that does not care about of service members.

Anybody can be sold out these days. Whom do you trust? Life is worth less than a lot of things lately.

VIP Member
    As I touched on in another thread, today's military is a much different animal than those of us who served in the early 80's and prior.

I remember a fiercely loyal command that protected their own, in every sense. We were allowed to rotate MP duty on shore leave, so we could 'arrest' our own who got a little too rowdy, before the local cops could. Punishment for minor infractions was dealt out when necessary, but it was generally kept out of the service record. Then we started getting training on sexual harassment, ethnic equality, fairness among the ranks, etc.. and something slowly started to change. Both officers and enlisted started focusing on the letter of the law vs. getting the job done. It took a few years, but it became to be more of an environment of a politically-every-man-for-himself where there must be a scape-goat served up anytime something went sideways. It was a clear situation where your command loved you until it became inconvenient.

No, I was never scape-goated, but I saw many good people who were. We started referring to it as the 'New Guard' vs. the 'Old Guard'. The 'Old Guard' either got out, or waited out their commission/enlistment.

Anyone can be sold out is right ,even Tier 1 guys,ask Marcus Luttrell,their team knew they would be tried on a return back Stateside if they killed the herders,but also knew they would report them to the Taliban,if they let them go,Guess they were more scared of the Justice Dept.Politicians don't care for us,we're a tool for them,that is to be discarded (with impunity)when it has fulfilled it's usefullness.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What else is new, our government an military have sold out many of our troops to appease the Afghans. The ROE have been made so restrictive to keep that nut job Karzai happy that I cannot imagine how our troops survive at all.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

There is a facebook page you can like and possibly draw attention to this issue:

Why are We Trying... | Facebook

Here's a link to his defense fund along with an address to send letters/cards of support:

SFC Walter Taylor legal defense fund information | Freedom Radio Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    He was not only sold out he was served up by a new system that does not care about of service members.
    I'll say it: Not a new system but an administration! At every turn the current administration betrays the troops, too often with willing accomplices in the upper brass. I remember a time when the admirals and generals stood up for the sailors/soldiers/airmen. Sadly, there seems to be very few remaining with the true honor who do so.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I'll say it: Not a new system but an administration! At every turn the current administration betrays the troops, too often with willing accomplices in the upper brass. I remember a time when the admirals and generals stood up for the sailors/soldiers/airmen. Sadly, there seems to be very few remaining with the true honor who do so.
    If you are going to turn this political then reference other UCMJ and courts martial actions that were done to service members unjustly in the name of political expedience. Or better yet...what about the opposite...giving praise or honoring folks that don't deserve it for political expedience using the military as a backdrop for political speeches which I think is sickening. The idiot that got captured in the Balkans come to mind as being put on a pedastal as heros when they were (at least the NCO's) a bunch of dorks and morons.
    Sig 210 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The Koran burning debacle comes to mind. Did't the administration bend over backwards apologizing?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    If you are going to turn this political then reference other UCMJ and courts martial actions that were done to service members unjustly in the name of political expedience. Or better yet...what about the opposite...giving praise or honoring folks that don't deserve it for political expedience using the military as a backdrop for political speeches which I think is sickening. The idiot that got captured in the Balkans come to mind as being put on a pedastal as heros when they were (at least the NCO's) a bunch of dorks and morons.
    I was not merely speaking to this individuals betrayal or even necessarily merely combat our UCMJ related issues. See the link discussing the period before the repeal of "Don't ask, don't tell." The tour and "survey" was not to gauge the military's acceptance but to force it upon them. Check out Adm Mullen's remarks to a Chaplain who dared to ask a question. That and more has been going on. I'm not going to google for you to find the facts. Pay attention to the news, it's not that hard to find. And it is not only the military, look at loyal Border Patrol, FBI and ATF personnel.

This thread is not going political. Correct? Correct. Thank you. Have a good evening. Carry on.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

If the idea is to win the war this action does make sense. In a trade between the life of one soldier and the possible loss of local support its makes sense in the long run.
    Not saying if I think its right or wrong. Only trying to look at it in a strategic sense.

Michael

VIP Member
    What happens in combat should stay in combat.

Links