Deadly shootout after routine traffic stop

This is a discussion on Deadly shootout after routine traffic stop within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Scumbag. Glad he is taking a dirt nap courtesy of the boys in blue. Scary stuff. Stay safe out there, and prayers for the officers ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Deadly shootout after routine traffic stop

Scumbag. Glad he is taking a dirt nap courtesy of the boys in blue. Scary stuff. Stay safe out there, and prayers for the officers full and speedy recovery.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

At first thought the same about running the guy down, but I think the cop was already out of the car. Glad he'll be ok.

No traffic stop is ever routine.

Based on where the BG was aiming it does look as if the officer was out of the car or standing between the door jam. The BG advanced so rapidly that I'm sure the officer was caught off guard and probably didn't draw his gun until he was shot, if he even drew his gun at all.

My thinking is based on the rounds fired the officer probably retreated to cover back around the trunk area before he went down as the suspect advanced on him, the suspect most likely believed the officer was dead and then fled as you see in the video. I mean he wasn't even hit until later or so it seems.

The officer is more than lucky considering how fast the BG advanced on him.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    At first thought the same about running the guy down, but I think the cop was already out of the car. Glad he'll be ok.
    I have had guys jump out before I even got stopped.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

God Bless this officer, prayers for his health...As a patrol deputy I must tell you, there is NO such thing as a "routine" traffic stop. Most folks we stop are decent, law abiding citizens...but I train, and mentally prepare for the worst day possible. Like I learned in the military, "stay alert, stay alive". I might be pulling over a busy soccer mom, or I may be pulling over a dirtbag, that just robbed a bank, and has decided he'll do anything to avoid arrest (including shooting an officer). Stay safe out there!
    HotGuns likes this.

VIP Member
    Prayers out to the officer, glad he will be ok.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I have had guys jump out before I even got stopped.
    What do you do in a situation like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilloc View Post
    Getting out of your car also.

I know of guys on Patrol who can get out of there cars while its still moving, it can be done. At least that's how certain guys at certain stations for my Department do it. Whether I stay with my current department or go else where, I will be out of my car before it comes to a complete stop.

I've done it before but I wasn't driving, there are times in which you cannot wait until you're completely stopped to get out of the car. You have to get out fast.

I remember in training involving two patrol cars conducting a Felony T-Stop, the passenger of the stopped vehicle (30yr vet) gets out of the car and fires a blank round at the bookman (woman in this case) in the lead squad car. Not one officer was out of their respective vehicles, I just shook my head.

You get out especially if you're the cover officer in a two man car. If you're solo like the officer in the vid in a Chase and suspect is going to bail your door should at least be cracked. Your gun should be out of the holsters before you're even fully upright. You have no worries about shooting a partner when you're solo as you're drawing your gun while seated.
    oneshot likes this.

Glad officer Fox will recover.

VIP Member
    This is how one of Michigans own was killed............

Routine my eye.

Trooper Kermit Fitzpatrick, Michigan State Police, Michigan

As he approached the vehicle the driver produced a .22 caliber handgun and fired six times, striking Trooper Fitzpatrick in the jaw, in the chest twice, and in the leg. Two additional shots were stopped by his bullet proof vest.

Read more: Trooper Kermit Fitzpatrick, Michigan State Police, Michigan

Glad the officer in In. had a more positive outcome.
    Glad the shooter was silenced, as it was apparently his wishes.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    This is how one of Michigans own was killed............

Routine my eye.

Trooper Kermit Fitzpatrick, Michigan State Police, Michigan

As he approached the vehicle the driver produced a .22 caliber handgun and fired six times, striking Trooper Fitzpatrick in the jaw, in the chest twice, and in the leg. Two additional shots were stopped by his bullet proof vest.

Read more: Trooper Kermit Fitzpatrick, Michigan State Police, Michigan

Glad the officer in In. had a more positive outcome.
    Glad the shooter was silenced, as it was apparently his wishes.
    An officer never knows, that's why no stop is routine. The driver or passenger already has the drop on you and doesn't have to turn around to shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilloc View Post
    Stop and get out or circle around and come back, depends on the situation. They could be running or attacking. I have hit people running and run over people hiding in tall grass it all goes with the territory.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

routine traffic stop....

lol... it's like calling a AR15 a machine gun that the military uses in the hands of a civilian.

glad he is ok

Hit the accelerator to the floor.... officer wasn't even fully stopped when he jumped out.
    May have had attention on radio, dispatcher and not on what it should have been on. Only he knows.

I've never understood what is going thru someone's mind when they do something like this guy did, grab his gun, jump out, and start shooting.
    I counted at least 13 police cars in that picture showing where they stopped him..... he was toast at that point. He does anything aggressive, no one's going to give him the benefit of the doubt at all, nor should they, after just shooting an officer.

Glad the officer appears that he will be OK.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Yep...I would have floored it and hit him with my 4000 lb "Crown Vic" sledgehammer!
    Proud NRA member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links