Angola Prison (LA) Fights Budget Restraints with Wolf-Hybrids

This is a discussion on Angola Prison (LA) Fights Budget Restraints with Wolf-Hybrids within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Cold Shot This could also be true. My fifteen years working as a professional dog trainer convinced me beyond any doubt that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Angola Prison (LA) Fights Budget Restraints with Wolf-Hybrids

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    This could also be true.
    My fifteen years working as a professional dog trainer convinced me beyond any doubt that it is assuredly true.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

2. Remove Ads

I will say that our old hybrid was not a good guard dog if we were not present. He would avoid what he didn't like, same as a wolf would in the wild. His lope across the yard did on occasion require utility personel to quickly exit the yard when he would come out of his den. However, as stated previously if my wife or I was there, he wasn't intimidated by anything, 2 legged or 4 legged. He would not bark, although he could, but would simply give a very low growl and the hair from head to tip of his tail down his back would be standing straight up. Conversations were very short afterwards.

Not being a trainer, there probably are some breeds that would be better, however when budgets are being considered, they may not be affordable for the prison system in LA.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Not being exactly on the forefront of knowing particulars, but I think the fact that "wolf-hybrid" dogs are at Angola, would have a deterring psychological impact on the inmate population who might consider excape.

Angola is in a loop of the Mississippi River, and is essentially a very large farm, also bordered by the Tunica Hills (rough terrain). They raise cattle, horses, dogs, and vegetables. They have a prison enterprise system that makes desks and other office furniture for the state offices. I'm not sure what else they do. The prison is not surrounded by a giant wall as might be depicted in a movie. There are several individual dormitory-like structures that are stand-alone and fenced in. Each one is designed to hold a certain class of prisoners. Some of them house all of the prisoners in one large room, in fact it reminds me of military barracks. Other structures house them in individual cells. I can't remember for sure, but all the buildings may only be one story?

I've been to Angola twice, I don't know the warden, but know some of his family. At one time I had a renter who had grew up at Angola in the neighborhood occupied by some of the employees.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links