Angola Prison (LA) Fights Budget Restraints with Wolf-Hybrids

This is a discussion on Angola Prison (LA) Fights Budget Restraints with Wolf-Hybrids within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had some Cajun friends, and they'd mentioned "Angola" before, so this caught my eye along with the Hybrid comments. The "Angola" location caught my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Angola Prison (LA) Fights Budget Restraints with Wolf-Hybrids

Post Angola Prison (LA) Fights Budget Restraints with Wolf-Hybrids

I had some Cajun friends, and they'd mentioned "Angola" before, so this caught my eye along with the Hybrid comments. The "Angola" location caught my eye due to its reputation. It's an interesting article. The "Client" stats at the end are interesting to say the least.

Part Dog, Part Wolf, All Business - WSJ.com

ANGOLA, La.—Wolf, a 120-pound canine cross between a wolf and a malamute, paced his pen, staring out with amber eyes. In a few hours, his work shift would begin.

He's part of a squad of wolf dog hybrids working nights at the Louisiana State Penitentiary, a local answer to the kinds of budgetary strains felt at many of the nation's prisons.
    Mr. Cain says the wolf dogs are a strong psychological deterrent. "The wolf ate Grandma," he said.

This is an interesting application of canines, in a highly controlled environment.

I would not want to test their abilities in the no-man's land.
    Ionracas likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Ever see that movie Deep Blue Sea? Didnt work out very well for the humans lol
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

They have a show about the Prison on TV,they grow their own food and raise horses to sell,and have a yearly Prisoner Rodeo that brings in pretty big bucks.The Guards live in a housing area just a little ways from the compound.Those dogs are released between the double security fence
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That's awsome. They need to do that at ALL of the prisons.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Nice, escaping prisoners will now be referred to as “dinner”.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    I bet they are a deterrent
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Being a Rodeo Photographer, I have always wanted to photograph the Angola Prison Rodeo.
    It is a huge event that brings in a lot of $$$ for them.
    I never could get clearance to shoot there because they did not think that it was a safe enough event to allow a woman to be in the arena with the animals.. He meant the two-legged animals, not the 4 legged ones!!!
    Ah well... I could yell about discrimination, but when you think about it, the warden was probably just looking out for me!!!
    Not going to be a victim anymore.

Russia uses Caucasian Shepherds in their prison in the same way.. pretty damn intense pups.

"Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Get out of here blitzburgh, that's a painted grizzly!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

If trained properly I am certain they would be fairly effective. The critter in my avatar weighed about 120-125 in his prime. Although he wasn't aggressive other than to other dogs that wanted to be boss, or if someone came around he wasn't sure of while I or my wife was with him. I certainly would not have wanted him to decide he was the boss after he was full grown. I once gave him a raw ham hip bone as a treat. He simply crushed it in one bite and layed there and ate it.

Or best guess is he was sheppard/wolf mix. He was a heck of a canine.

farron.jpg
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Why would they risk using Wolf-Hybrids when there are so many breeds that would do the job just fine?
    Hybrids like this can be unpredictable .

VIP Member
    I cannot think of a worse possible mix than a wolf-malamute or wolf-husky hybrid for work as a genuine guard dog. They are huge and scary-looking, to be sure, and probably relatively inexpensive, but I would not rely upon them to attack a BG in an unsupervised guard dog role. They simply lack the naturally alpha aggressive temperment required for that type of work. Neopolitan Mastiffs, Preso de Canarios, Dogue de Bordeaux, and a host of other breeds would be much more suited for that role.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Why would they risk using Wolf-Hybrids when there are so many breeds that would do the job just fine?
    Hybrids like this can be unpredictable .
    What risk? Having a wolf as a family pet in a suburban neighborhood is a risk, but I figure they would be pretty good at guarding violent offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I cannot think of a worse possible mix than a wolf-malamute or wolf-husky hybrid for work as a genuine guard dog. They are huge and scary-looking, to be sure, and probably relatively inexpensive, but I would not rely upon them to attack a BG in an unsupervised guard dog role. They simply lack the naturally alpha aggressive temperment required for that type of work. Neopolitan Mastiffs, Preso de Canarios, Dogue de Bordeaux, and a host of other breeds would be much more suited for that role.
    This could also be true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links