Our splendid military is all for show - Page 4

Our splendid military is all for show

This is a discussion on Our splendid military is all for show within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's hard to win a war when you are so restricted that you can not fairly fight your enemy. Politics needs to stay in Washington, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Our splendid military is all for show

It's hard to win a war when you are so restricted that you can not fairly fight your enemy. Politics needs to stay in Washington, DC., and let the Generals fight the wars.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I have to disagree. The military hasn't lost any wars. Politics has. If given the tools and freedom to actually fight to win (as in destroy the enemy), they will. In recent decades (actually going back to the Korean War) the military's hands have been tied, missions were turned into nation building or simply refused to let the military destroy the enemy. They don't need a fair fight, they need a fighting chance.
    How true it is. Politics looses wars, Our military can distroy any enemy that comes along. Try boxing with your hand tied behind your back????
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I was in Lebanon when the marines retreated. To be accurate, we even covered their retreat and secured the port.
    They looked enraged, pissed, and proud. But not beaten. Not one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    It's hard to win a war when you are so restricted that you can not fairly fight your enemy. Politics needs to stay in Washington, DC., and let the Generals fight the wars.
    Great idea. Let all the brass with political ambitions set the rules. Your guys will be toast even quicker.

I was in Iraq in 2003 and 04. Having been there and seen first hand how Saddam and his two thug sons treated their own people, I'm more than proud to have been part of removing those three SOBs from the planet. I worked closely with a lot of Iraqis there and the vast majority of them would hesitate before unilaterally putting our efforts there in the "L" column. For the first time in generations they have a shot at self determination and freedom from tyranny. Not a "loss" in my book.

A lot of folks missed the warning signs leading up to 9/11. I don't pretend to be able to begin to know the thought process of why we went into Iraq, although I'm personally a little tired of the WMD and "they lied" mantra. I think that's a week argument to sharp shoot a tough decision that was made and didn't turn out to be as easy as everyone thought it would be. Were mistakes made, absolutely, they're still being made and will continue to be made because of the attention span and lack of conviction shown by the vast majority of the American population and the spineless lack of leadership shown by our elected officials. But make no mistake, turn an American Soldier, Marine, Airman or Sailor free to perform a clear cut mission and the majoritiy of the time they will achieve it with honor and principled dedication that few can begin to comprehend. The bad apples and horror stories sell newspapers, just like in civilian society. We are a nation addicted to shock and the profane, not the selfless heroic acts that these soldiers perform on a daily basis, not in inflicting harm, but in exercising self restraint and humanity that are rarely reported and even more frequently ignored. If they've become only for show, it's because WE the people allowed it to get that way. Our military is a reflection of us. To distill down their sacrifices to a simple win loss record is insulting quite frankly. Any losses belong to the politicians and those who elected them.
    Beans and Pistology like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philco View Post
    We make the same mistakes over and over in this country. The politicians to run the wars instead of letting the generals do so. Rest assured that our U.S. military is still without equal and has far greater capabilities than the general public realizes. Every engagement we have been in since WWII has been totally controlled by politicians who had some other primiary focus other than winning the war. The armed forces of the United States of America are a far cry from the knights in shining armor that the article sited by the OP refers to. The equipment, tactics and effectiveness of our military remain cutting edge and are anything but obsolete.

I do fear that with the loss of our industrial base here in this country we are greatly limiting our capacity to gear up to an all out war effort such as has not been seen since WWII but that's another debate in and of itself.
    First all modern wars are controlled by politicians. No political involvement in the second world war? How do you explain the division of Europe after the war? Second the nuclear component of our military is the only one that we use solely for defense. The deterrent values is what keeps foreign States from attacking. It is not however effective against groups who work with out confines of borders. For that we need a conventional force.

The trouble with the conventional force is that in my opinion we use it more for imposing our values on other countries than we do for actual defense.

Michael

The author forgot another very important factor. Gecko45. He is a branch of the military unto himself.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Force everyone in the country to pay for your vendetta against a third-world dictator who has actually done nothing directly to you? No thank you.
    So let's see... Hitler didn't do anything "directly" to us, Stalin didn't, Pol Pot didn't, Mao Tse-Tung didn't, so yeah, maybe we were just a little out of line going after Saddam Hussein.

NOT. All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.
    OD*, msgt/ret, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Hussein was confined to his borders after the 91 gulf war. He had very little military left to be any threat to anyone.

To compare him to the others in your list is more than a stretch, especially if one remembers how we helped keep him in power and assisted him with both conventional and chemical weaponry when it was convienient for us to do so.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    Great idea. Let all the brass with political ambitions set the rules. Your guys will be toast even quicker.
    I'd rather follow those brass who want to win the war than the ones who want to kiss the politicians butts. I've been forced to follow both and it is so much better following the the former.

P.S: I have a hint for you, most brass do have ambitions whether it's political or just another star.

What I loathe is how we treat our indigenous allies when after they put their lives on the line for us. When we cut and run leaving them to own devices and death. For example. The Burmese after WWII, The Mountain Yards after Vietnam ETC, ETC.
    The argument is that we are helping them help themselves, but we make them so dependent on us to such an extent that when we leave they can't cope on their own.

I was amazed when I heard that Taiwan is now called Chinese Taipei in all International sports
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I'd rather follow those brass who want to win the war than the ones who want to kiss the politicians butts. I've been forced to follow both and it is so much better following the the former.
    gave them the idea, guaranteed.
    P.S: I have a hint for you, most brass do have ambitions whether it's political or just another star.

I have a hint back... Who do you think do the politicians take advice from, before they come up with these stupid, out of touch, rules of engagement? Some jackass general. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    I have a hint back... Who do you think do the politicians take advice from, before they come up with these stupid, out of touch, rules of engagement? Some jackass general. Right?
    No - not universally. Witness our current crop of domestic political leaders who have near zero military experience or even involvement, but are 'comfortable' dictating military policy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

[QUOTE=frenchman;2345167]I have a hint back... Who do you think do the politicians take advice from, before they come up with these stupid, out of touch, rules of engagement? Some jackass general. Right?[/QUOTE

Not totally impossible as the military brass does advise the civilians who are in charge and whom the military must obey whether they take that advice or not, which does happen on occasion. Which is exactly what happened in Afghanistan with the surge as just one example. Not trying to get into a p....ing contest here but I do have 20 years experience having to obey those generals and admirals who have to obey those civilian politicians. And no, I am not going to list 20 years worth of those examples to prove a point.

With respect to the importance of maintaining a stable Middle East (i.e. a stable world oil supply), watch what happens if/when Iran goes off the farm.
    Oil is a without question...a national security priority.
    Our food supply...from field to grocery aisle depends on it (along with just about everything else in our economy).
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links