M.R.A.P.S. Level III SWAT Shield

This is a discussion on M.R.A.P.S. Level III SWAT Shield within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of our neighboring SWAT teams bought these. I think they are excellent. M.R.A.P.S. Level III Ballistic Shield for SWAT | ThinBlueFlorida.com Randall IMG_1508 copy.JPG...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sid1
  • 1 Post By Xader

Thread: M.R.A.P.S. Level III SWAT Shield

One of our neighboring SWAT teams bought these. I think they are excellent.

M.R.A.P.S. Level III Ballistic Shield for SWAT | ThinBlueFlorida.com

Randall

IMG_1508 copy.JPG

I guess this is not a joke... is it?

Nope, no joke, Secret Spuk. Just good ballistic protection. Baker Ballistics makes the Baker Batshield, too.

Randall

Distinguished Member
    I imagine it looks decidedly less dorky once it's painted a nice, flat shade of "cool guy" black.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    And i thought it was going to be about these kind of Mraps
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    And i thought it was going to be about these kind of Mraps
    Yeah, that was my thought too.

They probably wanted to associate their product with a term that is synonymous with protection.

Doesn't look very Mine Resistant Ambush Proof to me.

I do think it is an interesting concept, but that seems like a lot of weight for the shield guy. He should have someone behind him with a rifle anyway, right?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

buckeye .45,

At 17.6 pounds, it is very light for a rifle-capable shield. My team's IIIa Protech shields tip the scale at about the same. With the QR shoulder harness, the AR and shield are supported by the SWAT turtle and both arms. The purpose is rifle-rated protection and max fire power by the guy up front with the best view. It can be a dangerous dance to have one officer with a handgun and shield and another off his right or left shoulder with a long gun. Real life building and room clearing is not the same as firearms training on the square range. Just my thoughts...

Randall

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyfish View Post
    buckeye .45,

At 17.6 pounds, it is very light for a rifle-capable shield. My team's IIIa Protech shields tip the scale at about the same. With the QR shoulder harness, the AR and shield are supported by the SWAT turtle and both arms. The purpose is rifle-rated protection and max fire power by the guy up front with the best view. It can be a dangerous dance to have one officer with a handgun and shield and another off his right or left shoulder with a long gun. Real life building and room clearing is not the same as firearms training on the square range. Just my thoughts...

Randall
    We didn't get shields for our building clearing in Iraq and Afghanistan, but building clearing is always a dangerous dance.

I can see the need for max firepower up front. As an extra thought, how is the range of motion on that rifle while keeping the shield square. It would look like downward angle shots, like what might be made while going down stairs, might be a bit difficult.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    One post already deleted.
    It's a serious topic posted in Law Enforcement, Military, & Homeland Security.
    Please stay on topic.

Being an NIJ III in combination with the officers body armor which will be at least a IIIA - That's a very nice high level of ballistic protection.

I would spray the entire face including the front of the hardware flat black so as to eliminate any specific "Bad Guy" aiming points.

buckeye,

Stairwells would be difficult, but I found that with this setup, you scan with the muzzle which keeps the shield face toward the threat area. As you know from your Service (and thank you), nothing in building clearing is ever perfect. It's all about angles and compromise.

QKShooter. The MRAPS in the photos with the "AK Capable" red lettering and unfinished aluminum brackets was the show floor model. It comes in black, sand, or green. I agree it is a nice level of protection!

Randall
    Last edited by Speedyfish; August 6th, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Added content

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyfish View Post
    buckeye,

Stairwells would be difficult, but I found that with this setup, you scan with the muzzle which keeps the shield face toward the threat area. As you know from your Service (and thank you), nothing in building clearing is ever perfect. It's all about angles and compromise.

Randall
    Your welcome, and thanks for yours as well. It is all about compromise, but I get the feeling with that shield shooting at a downward angle would suffer. Which would mean stairs, or a subject kneeling in a corner, or one lying down would all cause problems.

But, I have never used such a shield, that is just my general impression from looking at the pictures.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    "It comes in black, sand, or green."

I kinda thought so (or rather I at least thought it would be available in black) but, these days ya never know.
    So I thought that I would just toss it out there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links