Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope

This is a discussion on Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by suntzu The government is going way overboard now. It's been overboard for a long, long time. Policies such as this should have ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The government is going way overboard now.
    It's been overboard for a long, long time. Policies such as this should have been shoved overboard decades ago. It's all gonna get shoved overboard at some point, going like this, sure as sunshine.
    HotGuns and Secret Spuk like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's been overboard for a long, long time. Policies such as this should have been shoved overboard decades ago. It's all gonna get shoved overboard at some point, going like this, sure as sunshine.
    Shoved overboard, I have to disagree, Shoved down our throats, That I agree...

Distinguished Member
    Scary stuff. Coming to a city near you!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I have mixed feelings about the dashboard cams with the license plate recognition running 24/7. On the one hand, your license plate is being scanned and there is a potential for a record to be produced of where you are and at what specific time. But on the other hand, have you seen how many outstanding warrants there are out there? There are a ton of criminals just driving around all the time. If we can scan license plates and compare against an outstanding database of warrants then we could take a lot of criminals off the streets that would otherwise just continue on driving. What about looking for cars with amber alerts out against them? What about deadbeat dads?

There are of course huge privacy concerns with all this and I don't trust the government to "do the right thing". There would need to be STRONG legal protections and procedures in place with court monitoring similar to how subpoenas and court orders handle wire taps, which of course is also not perfect.

In summary, I think the potential for abuse and potential for loss of liberty for NON criminals has me more worried than the potential positive outcomes of catching the actual bad guys.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Buy stock in Kaiser Aluminum quick before the price of tin foil skyrockets!

Actually, I've been working with UAVs in CA for a while, and just to let you truckers know, you are being watched. Don't tinkle on the side of the road, it shows up in infrared. Some of the things I've seen are, well . . . interesting?
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Since they're partnered with Microsoft I'm not worried about it. Microsoft writes their software programs with built in issues. Their fixes usually cause additional problems and they scrap the software in a year or two so they can introduce the latest and greatest issue software. In other words it won't work 50% of the time, and when/if it does work, it will cause other issues.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Based upon some of the comments in this thread, I am starting to wonder if I am the only one with something to hide?

This sort of thing also makes me consider the merits of smaller govt, less taxes as a means to de fund some of these police departments and operations. We are certainly seeing a paradigm shift in a bad direction.

I hope it's more effective at catching criminals than this fine example from the Bronx... If you can ID this guy from this video... you are superhuman...

But I'm sure it will catch some otherwise law abiding citizens doing something they shouldn't do.. like drinking a large soda and eating french fries bought on the Black Market in NYC.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since they're partnered with Microsoft I'm not worried about it. Microsoft writes their software programs with built in issues.

In other words it won't work 50% of the time, and when/if it does work, it will cause other issues.
    Translation: When the Windows are closed, perhaps a door will open ... and let's hope it's a door in people's minds, one that allows them to realize what a terribly slippery slope this all is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"The bad guys have everything that we do too and if you really want to worry about security and freedoms, that’s the first thing,” Bloomberg said. “There’s a lot of evidence that there are a lot of bad guys around the world that are devoting a lot more resources than we are to taking away our freedoms.”

Oh, well if the bad guys are looking to take away our fredooms, then by all means let's have our government do it first so that we win! Doofus!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The thing is, I consider Mayor Dumberg and his thugs to be amongst the bad guys.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the dashboard cams with the license plate recognition running 24/7. On the one hand, your license plate is being scanned and there is a potential for a record to be produced of where you are and at what specific time. But on the other hand, have you seen how many outstanding warrants there are out there? There are a ton of criminals just driving around all the time. If we can scan license plates and compare against an outstanding database of warrants then we could take a lot of criminals off the streets that would otherwise just continue on driving. What about looking for cars with amber alerts out against them? What about deadbeat dads?

One problem is that our jails are already overflowing, hence sentences are reduced or commuted altogether. We keep coming up with new laws and 'gotchas' as well as financially crippling ourselves with technology like this, as well as wasting huge time and money protecting the guilty (at the expense of the innocents) until proven guilty beyond any shadow of doubt in the 'justice' system, only to set the criminal free on the backend. This is insane.

VIP Member
    North Carolina has them all over the interstate highway system. I'm all for it...Get the bad guys....Hey if ur clean no problem..bust those criminals...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    "The bad guys have everything that we do too and if you really want to worry about security and freedoms, that’s the first thing,” Bloomberg said. “There’s a lot of evidence that there are a lot of bad guys around the world that are devoting a lot more resources than we are to taking away our freedoms.”

Oh, well if the bad guys are looking to take away our fredooms, then by all means let's have our government do it first so that we win! Doofus!
    Bloomberg is attempting the scorched earth policy. The criminals can't take what we no longer have.

Michael

Welcome to the new and improved America...........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links