Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope

This is a discussion on Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The newest high resolution ones proposed for Pittsburgh will reportedly be able to monitor conversations - track VIA your cell phone - have facial recognition ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope

Administrator
    The newest high resolution ones proposed for Pittsburgh will reportedly be able to monitor conversations - track VIA your cell phone - have facial recognition & can talk AKA Evacuate The Area..etc.

There will be no more privacy in public places. You will just need to assume that every move that you make out of doors is being recorded so if you want to "make out" with your girlfriend in the park then take a portable tent with you.

Network of surveillance cameras proposed for Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    The thing is, I consider Mayor Dumberg and his thugs to be amongst the bad guys.
    Thats a freaking big 10/4

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    LONG LIVE BIG BROTHER!
    LONG LIVE BIG BROTHER!

[Gettin' on the bandwagon early]

Technology itself is driving much of this behavior. It wouldn't matter who was mayor. It's coming, as are UAVs.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I hope it's more effective at catching criminals than this fine example from the Bronx... If you can ID this guy from this video... you are superhuman...

But I'm sure it will catch some otherwise law abiding citizens doing something they shouldn't do.. like drinking a large soda and eating french fries bought on the Black Market in NYC.
    That's a crappy camera. My company uses cameras that cost about $60-80 a piece and record much better video than that. HD cameras are commonplace and if set up correctly you can ID someone at 30-40 yards easy.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I never really cared for cities anyway.

Although I won't be surprised to look up from my retirement farm to see a drone looking back at me.

In my county the sheriff's office already has some units for scanning license plates - some are mobile in the cars and some are mounted to the radar trailers that get set up on the side of the road. From the article" "Bodenheimer, Judd and Sloan said they also plan to use the VeriPlate systems to search public parking lots, including malls and shopping centers, on a regular basis to see what comes up." New PCSO System Scans License Plates | TheLedger.com When I went on a ride along with a friend whenever she was driving in between calls she was constantly manually checking every license plate she drove by on her computer. That suprised me, although I guess it shouldn't have. She said she often gets lucky and either an expired license will pop or a warrant will. Creeped me out though to be honest.

Even the tag scanning doesn't creep me out as much as drones and city cameras. I agree though... it's all a slippery slope though.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Even the tag scanning doesn't creep me out as much as drones and city cameras. I agree though... it's all a slippery slope though.
    It doesn't creep me out as much as it angers me. This perpetual witch hunt is wrong. I also want to know who is it that is calling for this? I know I have never seen it on any sort of ballot or expressed a desire for it.
    RemMod597 and Secret Spuk like this.

VIP Member
    It doesn't creep me out as much as it angers me. This perpetual witch hunt is wrong. I also want to know who is it that is calling for this? I know I have never seen it on any sort of ballot or expressed a desire for it.
    You've touched on it, Noway. You're right. Nobody runs for office on "I'm going to increase government monitoring and control over everyone's lives". Yet, that is what we consistently see once they (whomever it may be) get in office. Where does this pervasive influence/agenda come from?

VIP Member
    Just to hazard a guess I would say homeland security, after all it can be justified as for our protection and security.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Who will protect us from our protectors?

This is insanity. They will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and invade the personal space of thousands of citizens... To catch a guy who owe's a fine for some parking tickets?

Most open warrants are for pettit offences. Most of the subject dont even know he or she has a warrant. Our jails and prisons wouldnt be overcrowded if we didnt lock up people for minor infractions.

This is not policing... this is a police state.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    You've touched on it, Noway. You're right. Nobody runs for office on "I'm going to increase government monitoring and control over everyone's lives". Yet, that is what we consistently see once they (whomever it may be) get in office. Where does this pervasive influence/agenda come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Who will protect us from our protectors?

This is insanity. They will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and invade the personal space of thousands of citizens... To catch a guy who owe's a fine for some parking tickets?

Most open warrants are for pettit offences. Most of the subject dont even know he or she has a warrant. Our jails and prisons wouldnt be overcrowded if we didnt lock up people for minor infractions.

This is not policing... this is a police state.
    We vote for this all the time. Every time we vote for lower taxes but demand "law and order". This is just the law enforcement version of "working smarter, not harder." and "doing more with less".
    Just think, with a high definition camera with facial recognition at every entrance to a stadium we could link into the ushers ticket scanners. Every wanted person that attended the ball game would be identified and police would even know where they are sitting. If you have identified fifty wanted subjects you can take your pick who you want to grab. You wouldn't need more than a couple of officers more than are already working the game.

They also generate a good bit of revenue. The speed cameras that my old department got after I left were too effective. When they stopped getting enough violations at a location they relocated the cameras to more profitable locations. But of course, it's not about the money. It is about safety. The facial recognition like my stadium scenario? The guy with the bench warrant for failure to pay fine is not likely to just wake up one morning and write a check. However he will probably come up with some money pretty quick to get himself back out on the street. The cameras scanning license plates? Good as gold! Suspended tags= impound fees.

People develope the products and with budgets being what they are these toys are not hard to sell.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    "... Bloomberg said. “There’s a lot of evidence that there are a lot of bad guys around the world that are devoting a lot more resources than we are to taking away our freedoms.”
    Sound like a clear admission to me. At least the guy acknowledges that such people are "bad guys." That's something, at least.

So now we get to it: Just how many resources are being devoted to taking away our freedoms.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I hope it's more effective at catching criminals than this fine example from the Bronx... If you can ID this guy from this video... you are superhuman...
    Piece of cake. (Under the NYC system) The video is recorded and kept for days or even weeks. You don't have to be able to see his face if you can follow him back to his car or his home via the recorded video. This is some seriously scary stuff, and is actually even MORE advanced and invasive than anything in 1984, with the exception of the fact that there are no cameras actually IN your home.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I never really cared for cities anyway.

Although I won't be surprised to look up from my retirement farm to see a drone looking back at me.
    Careful picking out your new flat screen TV for the retirement home.
    Samsung's latest TV sets' built-in cameras spark concerns | Mail Online
    The new models, which are closer than ever to personal computers, offer high-tech features that have previously been unavailable, including a built-in HD camera, microphone set and face and speech recognition software.
    Samsung Responds to TV Spying Concerns - Techlicious

Michael

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links