Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope

This is a discussion on Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; CNN just showed a blurb on how NYC is unveiling its downtown video surveillance. Apparently they have partnered with Microsoft and will blanket the downtown ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope

Here it comes... Big Brother slippery slope

CNN just showed a blurb on how NYC is unveiling its downtown video surveillance. Apparently they have partnered with Microsoft and will blanket the downtown area with video cameras.

This is the start of the end, I promise.

New York, Microsoft Unveil Joint Crime-Tracking System - Bloomberg

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to theUnited Kingdom of New York City. We now have an app for that.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

It's only gonna get worse... shame that...
    It could be worse.
    A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be.
    Wollard V Sheridan

The Federal Government is already flying drones over our country and is working to change current airspace rules giving them the ability to put even more of them over your home.
    Just remember, if you have nothing to hide.....

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Microsoft? Wonder how long before video operators see the "blue screen of death"

I recently watched several episodes of a show like "Cops" about UK LEOs, and it follows them around in much the same manner. The UK LEOs in the show have the same type of license plate recognition in their patrol vehicles and apparently it results in alot of traffic stops.(Computer automatically comes up with warrants or expired license,..et. al.) Scary stuff.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I wonder how well those cameras hold up to laser pointers.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Microsoft? Wonder how long before video operators see the "blue screen of death"

I recently watched several episodes of a show like "Cops" about UK LEOs, and it follows them around in much the same manner. The UK LEOs in the show have the same type of license plate recognition in their patrol vehicles and apparently it results in alot of traffic stops.(Computer automatically comes up with warrants or expired license,..et. al.) Scary stuff.
    Almost every single Memphis PD car has a huge camera mounted on the roof to the lightbar. Same goes for the Sherriffs traffic division, but the drive unmarked, tricked out Tahoes. I dont see them on the highway patrol cars though.

It is kinda scary. I have nothing to hide but I keep a tinfoil hat in the glove box, just in case.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

VIP Member
    I wonder how long it will take them to incorporate facial recognition into it to identify and charge those with larger than 16oz sugary drinks.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I wonder how long it will take them to incorporate facial recognition into it to identify and charge those with larger than 16oz sugary drinks.
    They already have facial recognition. Now they need a good lens to verify the size of the drink.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Almost every single Memphis PD car has a huge camera mounted on the roof to the lightbard. Same goes for the Sherriffs traffic division, but the drive unmarked, tricked out Tahoes. I dont see them on the highway patrol cars though.

It is kinda scary. I have nothing to hide but I keep a tinfoil hat in the glove box, just in case.
    On one hand,..I DO kind of like the idea of the LEOs have cameras on them,unfortunately we have all seen the posts where LEOs don't know they law or overstep their boundries and this could save an innocent citizen a lot more than a "he said she said". I've read about, and even seen some agencies have weapon-mounted cameras that turn on when drawn as well. I'm more scared of the systems like in the movies where everybody has "eye scans" or something and anywhere you walk around you are scanned and your movements are tracked, and systems like London has where basically all of the city is under video monitoring.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Will Microsoft throw in free photoshop software? Might come in handy.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I wonder how well those cameras hold up to laser pointers.
    Next time I have to go there I'll bring mine and report back to ya :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mlCX1E-g8E
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

On one hand,..I DO kind of like the idea of the LEOs have cameras on them,unfortunately we have all seen the posts where LEOs don't know they law or overstep their boundries and this could save an innocent citizen a lot more than a "he said she said". I've read about, and even seen some agencies have weapon-mounted cameras that turn on when drawn as well. I'm more scared of the systems like in the movies where everybody has "eye scans" or something and anywhere you walk around you are scanned and your movements are tracked, and systems like London has where basically all of the city is under video monitoring.
    I deffinatley agree. A simple traffic stop can turn in to so much more. I forget the details but wjen I lived in Connecticut a man was stopped for failing to signal or some dumb thing of the sort. He confessed to the officer that the body of his dismembered toddler was in the trunk, that he killed a year prior. A simple traffic stop.

Still, it is a little unnerving.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Will Microsoft throw in free photoshop software? Might come in handy.
    LOL
    Attached Images
    Ionracas, 4my sons and mprp like this.

Senior Moderator
    On one hand,..I DO kind of like the idea of the LEOs have cameras on them,unfortunately we have all seen the posts where LEOs don't know they law or overstep their boundries and this could save an innocent citizen a lot more than a "he said she said".
    The Department I use to work for had camera's on all of the cars that were activated when the blue lights came on and we had a mic on us (also activated when the blue lights came on) to record all conversations. This was done to protect the Department from lawsuits. I believe that it also helped us do a better job becasue we knew that we were being recorded and it led to sevearl plea deals.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links