Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ...

This is a discussion on Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Gene83 All prisons, both state and federal would be entirely self supporting. If you're in prison, you're working in the prison factory ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    All prisons, both state and federal would be entirely self supporting. If you're in prison, you're working in the prison factory making something or you work in another area of the prison. At forty cents an hour, prison labor could compete with anything offshore.
    Other than license plates, I'm not too sure I want anything that's made by convicts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    At forty cents an hour, prison labor could compete with anything offshore.
    With anything onshore, as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Man, tough crowd! All sounds good unless you happen to be the poor slob on death row who actually is innocent and gets fried before the DNA results come back. Or maybe you committed a crime while "armed," such as jaywalking while armed? Hey, a crime's a crime, ain't it?

Be careful what you wish for; you may get it. Then you may one day unfortunately end up on the short end of your desires. Prove you were in fear of your life!
    Crowman and Secret Spuk like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Man, tough crowd! All sounds good unless you happen to be the poor slob on death row who actually is innocent and gets fried before the DNA results come back. Or maybe you committed a crime while "armed," such as jaywalking while armed? Hey, a crime's a crime, ain't it?

Be careful what you wish for; you may get it. Then you may one day unfortunately end up on the short end of your desires. Prove you were in fear of your life!
    Word.

Everybody can complain about anything, and the justice system is an easy target, but there is a reason why law is one of the most respected professions. Some of the brightest people study their entire lives to become lawyers and judges, and they probably make the best decisions they can. For the record, I don't really like or respect lawyers/judges/politicians, but that's more of a personal thing. I realize that there were some thoughtful posts in this thread, but a lot of it seems overzealous.

I don't know if I would wave a magic wand and change the following, but these topics concern me to some extent:

Say a guy goes out to a bar and has a few drinks with a woman of legal age. He is charming and they go back to her place. They start having consensual sex until she starts to feel guilty and decides to call it quits. He continues for 1 second after she says stop. He gets up and says goodnight and leaves. She feels even more guilty in the morning and calls the police and a lawyer and maybe even embellishes the story a bit. Because everybody is this country loves to be a white knight, he is somehow thought to be a rapist by a jury.

That guy deserves life/death penalty?

Or...how about the 1/3 of all inmates who are serving time on drug related charges. Hasn't the war on drugs gone on long enough? Why should anybody possibly care if somebody else is doing drugs. Obviously some types of drug use (e.g. the hard stuff, like meth) is almost certainly correlated with other crimes, but should it be considered illegal just to possess a substance that grows naturally all over the world (e.g. marijuana).

And then there are guns. Say you as an upstanding CC permit holder are out one day and run into one of your old buddies from the Marines. He says he'll buy you a beer. You have one beer at a nearby bar and say your goodbyes and head to your car when a guy tries to mug you with a knife. You shoot him. The police are involved and they end up drawing your blood, which shows a .01 BAC, which is illegal in your state if you're carrying a gun.

You think you should be in prison for life?

And also, many of you don't agree with this, because you are LEO and you deal exclusively with the scum of society or some other reason, but sometimes people deserve second chances. I get the fact that the prison system is like a revolving door, and some guys just end up in and out, and it's frustrating. But I can't sit here and say that an 18 yo kid should be sentenced to life without parole for some mistake.

It's like the saying that is always thrown around here, "If you ban guns, only the criminals will be armed." These super strict laws that people speak of might deter crime, but do hardcore criminals really care about laws? Don't they just roll around doing whatever they want, regardless of the consequences?

I'm not concerned about the government protecting me with super strict laws that may or may not deter crime. Mr. Smith and Wesson and I will take care of my self defense.

VIP Member
    I'm sure some of my answers won't be popular here, but that's the way things go. I've worked in a prison and I have spent enough time around inmates to feel pretty confident in my opinions. (It should be noted I wrote a 15 page paper as a senior in college about changes to the criminal justice system as a whole, and some of this is was first put there.)

My changes to the criminal justice system.
    The death penalty would be used much more often. First degree murder is a start. But we'll expand it to any sex offender where the victim was a minor. Then we'll roll in any rapist that DNA evidence links to the crime. And since we keep saying there's a war on drugs let's throw the dealers in here as well.

Prison would not be what it is today. Inmates would not own televisions, play stations, guitars, game boys, or other expensive toys. They would only have clothing that has been issued to them, a radio they could purchase, legal materials, and a small amount of mail from home. Hygiene items would be only what is issued by the state and no more than one of each item would be in their possession at any time.

Truth in sentencing would be totally required. If an individual was sentenced to 10 years he would serve exactly 10 years in prison. If the court system wants someone released to a supervised setting that needs to be a part of the initial sentence.

Any person convicted of a felony would be forever banned from voting, serving on a jury, working in any position of public trust, owning firearms, owning archery equipment.

Any person convicted of a second felony shall be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole or release.

Any domestic violence claim is a felony.

Any false claim of domestic violence or sexual assault is a felony.

That's enough to get us started in the right direction.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    All Misdemeanors would be punishable by 364 days in jail or less and would include a public works program.
    Domestic Violence would be redefined into misdemeanor and felony categories.
    Felonies would be divided into violent and non-violent categories. ONLY violent Felonies would involve losing 2nd amendment rights.
    Non-violent felony convictions would involve state run work programs.
    All violent felony convictions would serve full sentences with no parole. Two violent felony convictions results in a life sentence.
    All death penalty convictions would be carried out by public hanging and must be executed within two years of sentence.

I can go witn this. Also castration for sexual predators. Repeat offender gets death its the only solution for a child molester.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    ok, i know i am not gonna find any allies here, and i don't smoke pot, but i think decriminalization of marijuana would do a LOT to lessen the burden on our justice system in this country.

also, death penalty for any 1st degree sexual offenders, murders (not manslaughter), and all life sentences.
    Probably one of the stupidest things ever, alcohol legal and marijuana not. Its not near as harmful.

Ah, isn't Utopia a fuzzy warm place where all is perfect...........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Need to get rid of the plea deals, do the crime, face the consequences for that crime, not a watered down version. Also, the punishment should match the crime, exactly. Guilty of belting your kids in the back seat of your vehicle and sending them out to float until they sink and drown, guess what, same exact thing happens to you. Pour gasosline on your victim and set him on fire, same for you. If it's not crule and unusual for your victim, why should you be treated any better? Same for all crimes, you get the picture.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I don't think it would be too dificult to devise a better working system than the one we have. Many have offered suggestions that I would heartily endorse. Just as most of us have evaluated all aspects of strapping on a sidearm I think we need to come to terms with the potential repercussions of convicting innocents. I don't think it happens as much as some people do but it does happen. Here in Michigan two pothead brothers were just released after serving 25 for a murder they may not have committed. No system is perfect and if we can acknowledge and accept executing innocent people for the greater good of society then so be it. I think I'm ok with this but until it happens you never really know.

I would have the lawyers and judges be legally responsible for the actions they take and decisions the make.No more sitting around spraying power and collecting money while everything goes to crap around them.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you could wave a wand and magically have an effective, workable penal system put into place, what would you suggest?

Think of penalties for Felony vs Misdemeanor, any distinction for Extreme/Violent Felony, the types of penalties given for such acts, whether there would be jails, prisons, parole, capital punishment, how it should basically work.

Your plan?
    I would modify the "no cruel and unusual punishment" to exclude "in kind punishment".
    If someone savagely killed another by setting them on fire, the punishment could be burning the perp alive. Or similar.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Ah, isn't Utopia a fuzzy warm place where all is perfect...........
    No such thing, of course. Nor does it arise from a discussion/suggestions. But we've all witnessed serious defects in this twisted variant of "accountability" that we've constructed. Time for some changes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Any domestic violence claim is a felony.
    I have big problem with this one. A friend's son got into a tiff with his brother when they were in their late teens. Fists were thrown, mom call the cops, arrests were made. Simple judicial solution applied at the time was to plead guilty to misdemeanor assault, pay a fine, and it was a done deal. But it was a crime of "domestic violence," and when the Lousenberg Law went into effect, as a grown man he had cops arrive at his door and remove all his firearms from his house. Surrendered his CT pistol permit, as well. That situation is a huge misapplication of the intent of the "domestic violence" statutes, but it sticks nonetheless.

I suspect you would agree that in this case the rigid application of the law had unintended consequences, which is why I would allow a pretty wide latitude for judicial discretion.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't agree with multiple life sentences without parole. Carry out an execution in less than 1 year period after sentencing, save the room and money. The convicted are going to spend the rest of their life while in the custody of the justice system anyway, so why waste time, space, food, money and effort housing them?

I have no use in worrying about being "humane" when it comes to execution anyway. If someone commits a violent enough, or serious enough crime(s) to be executed, they aren't being "humane" to their victims. Is murder or rape "humane" to a victim? No? Why should the criminal deserve "humane" treatment when their victim(s) did not ? I'm not advocating torture, just saying kill them the quickest and least expensive way to save resources. (Although I'm sure folks could say being locked up in prison/jail period is 'torture'. )

I also don't agree with putting a convicted felon on death row and allowing them to live for many years before carrying out the execution. Again: Save resources. Why waste money on already stretched budgets, and waste space in already overcrowded prisoners?

I don't agree with all these stories about multiple felonies and repeat offends, it happens to often. I read and hear of too many stories of a felon with multiple convictions over different periods of time being out on the street and committing more violent crimes. 3 violent felonies or less and automatic death penalty.

I also would like to see stricter punishment for DUI convictions. I can see some people now whining about "oh its already so expensive for a DUI and wah wah", no. I don't drink alcohol anymore, but when I was younger I drank until I blacked out on several instances (not carrying, obviously.) and so I can speak from experience. I KNOW what it is like to be as literally drunk as my body will allow before shutting down. There is NEVER ANY EXCUSE EVER FOR DUI. If you can afford to go to a bar and purchase enough drinks to get you over the legal limit, you can afford a taxi cab ride. I never had to "give up my keys" when drinking, I just knew better. I had my keys on me, but I NEVER came CLOSE to driving. If I was hungry or needed/wanted to get somewhere, I would seek rides. I would to see no less than a minimum of a FELONY for driving under the influence and causing serious injury, how about 2 felony charges for causing a fatal accident while under the influence? I spend almost 10 years in the automotive aftermarket. It was disgusting how many vehicles came in with interlock systems for multiple DUI convicted individuals. We are talking people that would come in with minivans and several small children. TAKE AWAY THEIR LICENSE! They chose to do those actions, they have proven that they are not responsible enough to handle a motor vehicle.

I also want to see stricter education and licensing testing for drivers licenses. Too many accidents and unsafe drivers, people take driving for granted as if its a right. Driving is NOT a right,it is a privilege. When I got my drivers license, my parents had to sign a sheet stating they had spent X amount of time with me driving with my learners permit, than I spend 5 consecutive mornings in a car with 3 other teenagers for about 2 (?)hours each day, on the 5th day I was given a legal document that when carried with my learners was a drivers license to use until the "licensing ceremony" was held. (The county I lived in had "licensing ceremonies" at the local high schools where a sheriff would come and talk about driving safe, then everybody would get their licenses much like one gets a diploma when graduating from high school.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links