Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ...

Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ...

This is a discussion on Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you could wave a wand and magically have an effective, workable penal system put into place, what would you suggest? Think of penalties for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ...

Question Question: If you could revamp the penalties for felonies, misdemeanors ...

If you could wave a wand and magically have an effective, workable penal system put into place, what would you suggest?

Think of penalties for Felony vs Misdemeanor, any distinction for Extreme/Violent Felony, the types of penalties given for such acts, whether there would be jails, prisons, parole, capital punishment, how it should basically work.

Your plan?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would start with any crime that involved the use of a firearm would be a life sentence. No three strikes... you use a gun when committing a crime and that is strike three. Watch how much better that would work than any gun control law at stopping gun violence.

And then I'd bring back the concept of prison entailing smashing big rocks into little rocks all day long. After that I'm open to suggestions.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I've often wondered where is the justice in a guy busted for drug possession, forfeits just as many rights as the guy who shoves a gun in someone's face and threatens to kill them.

Brad426 nailed it. Of course, I'd take it a step further; Commit a violent crime such as rape, murder, or attempted murder and forfeit your life. Either busting rocks, paving highways, or sizzling in an electric chair.

sgb
    All Misdemeanors would be punishable by 364 days in jail or less and would include a public works program.
    Domestic Violence would be redefined into misdemeanor and felony categories.
    Felonies would be divided into violent and non-violent categories. ONLY violent Felonies would involve losing 2nd amendment rights.
    Non-violent felony convictions would involve state run work programs.
    All violent felony convictions would serve full sentences with no parole. Two violent felony convictions results in a life sentence.
    All death penalty convictions would be carried out by public hanging and must be executed within two years of sentence.
    Secret Spuk, DrahtDog and LenS like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    No more waiting 30+ years to carry out a death sentence. All appeals should be exhausted in 1 year, MAX. Violent crimes and crimes involving weapons automatically carry a death sentence. No more over crowding, no more light sentences. REAL punishment for crimes, let's make the consequences a deterrence. If they don't deter the crime from being committed, carry them out swiftly. Let the criminals know there are real punishments for their actions.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

That all sounds good to me. Down here we already have the 10-20-Life law.
    Another that I'd like to add, is to outlaw plea-bargaining or at least set very strong limits to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    No more waiting 30+ years to carry out a death sentence. All appeals should be exhausted in 1 year, MAX. Violent crimes and crimes involving weapons automatically carry a death sentence. No more over crowding, no more light sentences. REAL punishment for crimes, let's make the consequences a deterrence. If they don't deter the crime from being committed, carry them out swiftly. Let the criminals know there are real punishments for their actions.
    If you really want to deter crime, I am a firm believer that corporal punishment is the way to go. But somehow a public caning would violate a person's 8th Amendment rights, yet strapping them to a chair and sending electric currents through them until they are dead isn't cruel and unusual...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Principle: Swift trials; swift justice; publicly done, without exception save for cases of clear spy/security ramifications (and mere impact on hireling "officials" doesn't count, ever).

Revamp crime categories and which crimes fall into which: Violent Felony; Felony (all others, Class A/B/C); Misdemeanor (serious, Class A/B/C); Misdemeanor (less serious, Class A/B/C).

Misdemeanor: Up to 1yr incarceration, labor, fines upon conviction; public caning (or similar), fines for less-serious infractions.

Felony: Up to 10yr incarceration, heavy labor, fines upon conviction; second conviction, mandatory Death penalty. If weapon used in a person crime, mandatory classification as a Violent Felony.

Violent Felony: Death penalty upon conviction; fines for restitution. Consists of Murder, Rape, Robbery, Kidnapping, any threat where death or serious injury is likely or threatened, any attempt of these.

Parole: None.

Early Release: None.

Plea Bargaining: None.

Death Penalty: Mandatory appeal, to conclude within 6mos; if upheld, public execution within 1mo.

Sentencing: Mandatory; no softening for "celebrities," publicly-paid servants, nobody. Do the crime, do the time.

"Federal" crimes for which there are already state crimes/penalties defined: None, erased from the books.

EDIT: Two crimes I'd add as felonies would be (1) Crimes against the Constitution and (2) Deliberate contravention of oath of office.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 16th, 2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling; edit
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say violent sexual crimes should result in castration

I totaly agree with reinstituting manual labor.

The only problem I have with people saying "any crime with a gun" means life, is that some DAs are going to charge self-defense cases, accidents, etc...

In general, I dont' like zero tolerance policies, because it leads to zero thinking and zero taking of responsibility by the people applying the rules.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think the US is way to focused on prison and jail. There needs to be alternatives, especially where there is a positive contribution aspect of any sentencing. Putting someone in the stockade only makes hardened criminals, and quite frankly I am amazed that it hasn't created domestic terrorists that commit mass atrocities.

I would make prisons / penal colonies become self sustaining. Create an atmosphere where if you don't work, don't contribute, you don't eat, have clothes, shelter, etc. Force them to either learn how to become productive members of a community or collectively suffer. Along with this would come the benefits of seeing the product of their labors. For some, hopefully many, this would lead to an education and understanding that was missed earlier. I would also tie getting out, not to amount of time served, but how well change has been demonstrated and accepted.

I would also put an end to all the damned drug offenses, especially the minor ones which stems from a keep the govt out of my business mentality.

All prisons, both state and federal would be entirely self supporting. If you're in prison, you're working in the prison factory making something or you work in another area of the prison. At forty cents an hour, prison labor could compete with anything offshore.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I would just like to note that if you are forced to shoot, and a lawyer can somehow construe the situation into you broke the law (think zimmerman here), you used a firearm to commit a crime...carefull with all the draconian sentences for crimes involving a firearm. Heck being charged with brandeshing because somehow you failed to conceal would fall under that as well.

ok, i know i am not gonna find any allies here, and i don't smoke pot, but i think decriminalization of marijuana would do a LOT to lessen the burden on our justice system in this country.

also, death penalty for any 1st degree sexual offenders, murders (not manslaughter), and all life sentences.
    DrahtDog and Secret Spuk like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I like a lot of the suggestions here. Fundamentally, crimes against people deserve more severe penalties than crimes against property.

What I would include are white collar crimes which result in utter financial ruin for the victims. Without getting too detailed, the guy who scams $2 from 5 million people gets a far lesser punishment than the Bernie Madoff types who steal $200,000 in life savings from 50 people which leaves them destitute.

The other consideration I have is to severely curtail the parole system and restore judicial discretion in sentencing. Parole board failure led to the Petit tragedy in CT and likely scores of less notorious repeat crimes; just apply the full sentence that was imposed. And allow a judge to consider special circumstances when applying sentence, as was done 20+ years ago.

The notion of "justice delayed is justice denied" will run strong in my judicial system, and it will cut both ways. Repeat delays and continuances for bogus reasons will not be tolerated, and in high stake (e.g., death penalty) cases, a finite time period (think "statute of limitations") will be allowed to pursue appeals.

Lawsuits claiming my state's manner of execution is "cruel and unusual" will not be allowed. If my state's electorate decides that hanging, firing squad or lethal injection is an appropriate means of execution, then the people have spoken. Change it by the ballot box, but don't delay the convicted guy's execution. In many cases, the interminable delays become the cruelest component of the punishment.

And as one of my favorite gun scribes has written, when I'm king, don't worry about the electric chair - worry about electric bleachers.
    OD* and sigmanluke like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

TGB
    The penalty should fit the crime, but get rid of the mandatory sentences. Let a jury decide, but one thing that concerns me is that our justice system is spear headed by Distict attorneys who often dont care about the truth. They are only concerned about how many convictions they can get. I htink there should be a law that says if you are a DA you can not use that office as a stepping stone to run for another elected office. Remeber it only takes an over velous DA to get the wrong person and ruin their life.

Now I will say that if someone has been proven guilty beyond a resonable doubt and a child or a woman has been sexually assaulted then I would like for the husband or dad to have the option of being able to deliver justice at his discretion.
    TGB
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links