Seriously considering G21 for duty gun???

This is a discussion on Seriously considering G21 for duty gun??? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ok in that sense I can see your point . and I can see where the hammer falling on the web of your thumb is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Seriously considering G21 for duty gun???

ok in that sense I can see your point . and I can see where the hammer falling on the web of your thumb is preferable to getting shot .. but you shouldnt be in that kind of situation in the first place

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Glocks, like I said, are great guns. If you get into a fight with one however, you are at a disadvantage. In a fight over a weapon, the DA SA allows you to block a trigger if BG gets the upper hand. That first pull is DA, which allows for quite a bit of room behind that trigger. You can also manipulate your hand over the slide blocking a hammer. Thats pretty tough with a Glock. If you dont train that way, its a moot point. Glock users obviously dont (cant) train for this.

Granted if you find yourself in that situation, you did something wrong...however its nice to have those options.

I train for things that I hopefully wont ever encounter. Do I think i'll ever need to do a weak hand, one handed double feed clear? Probably not. Do I train for it? Every single range session.

Will I ever need to defend my weapon from an attacker than gets hold of it? Probably not. Do I train to defend against it? Yup, every chance I get. All I was trying to say was there are tactics that can be used with a DA SA hammer fired weapon that do not work with a striker fired weapon. The OP seems to be in a profession where a hand to hand encounter is more likely than a guy CC'ing at PetCo. That was why I brought up what I did. It's not for everyone.

My off duty guns are primarily striker fired. Glock, XD, Kahr primarily. But on duty, i'll take a DA SA hammer fired gun every time.
    I see what you mean. At that point, I rather have a mag safety disconnect and try to release the mag then try to block a hammer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe64 View Post
    ok in that sense I can see your point . and I can see where the hammer falling on the web of your thumb is preferable to getting shot .. but you shouldnt be in that kind of situation in the first place
    I didnt say I would want to be in that situation. But the options are there if SHTF. And hey, isnt one of the advantages of a gun having it available when you are in "that kind of situation" in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I see what you mean. At that point, I rather have a mag safety disconnect and try to release the mag then try to block a hammer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Blocking a hammer isnt ideal. If you need it, it sucks, but its just one more option. I wrote a quick review of my FNX, and one of the things I mentioned was the merits / demerits of a mag disconnect. After all these years, I still dont know if I like the idea. I know the advantages and disadvantages, but I still cant make up my mind if I like it or not. I love hearing conversation about the mag disconnects though. I seem to be swayed both ways on that issue, and cant make up my mind. Right now, none of my gun's have a mag disconnect (the sig had one, and I removed it....who knows, it may go back in again someday....I just cant decide! )
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    I've owned several brands of guns and still do. The Glock is in fact a good fighting weapon because its dependable to put holes in people that need more holes in them....period (as well as numerous other brands). Dependability to put holes where needed should be paramount to any other characteristics IMO, because when it hits the fan you need it to work. There will be more opportunities to draw and use the pistol than to stick your finger in a trigger guard when your gun is taken away.

Coming from someone that uses a gun on a daily basis, trains with them often, and trains on weapons retention, true hand to hand combat, weapon takeaways, etc...the idea of determining your duty/combat handgun based on the fact that you can jam your hand/finger in front of the hammer during a struggle over your weapon is almost laughable.
    If the SHTF in this type of situation, what you're describing is a fine motor skill with trying to jam a finger in a trigger guard for the DA first pull or to wedge your finger in an area about a square inch in size while fighting with an attacker. The ability to do this is already limited and when you add in a fight with adrenaline dump, etc, that ability is reduced even further. Going for a mag release is an even smaller target requiring you to hit it just right while in a fight with someone.
    I've been in a fight with a suspect with a gun and I would not attempt to stick my finger in a trigger guard or block the hammer with my hand/finger. If you happen to do it or happen to get the mag release then fine, but I wouldn't depend on it at all.

This is not something I would base my gun purchasing decision on nor would I be spending time trying to practice that. I'd rather be practicing grabbing the entire pistol to 1)make it out of battery and/or 2)to get leverage in turning the gun away from me while hopefully breaking their finger in the trigger guard with the amount force applied and getting my gun back.

If you can reach the pistol to block the hammer or poke a finger in the trigger guard, then you're able to grab the top of the slide or cylinder and have more leverage to direct the muzzle away from you and put pressure on their wrist that opens up other possibilities. Just my opinion.

Go with what you can shoot well, if that means an M&P like you're used to then go for it, if you like the Glock and shoot it well....then go for it. Practice situational awareness, and practice gross motor skill weapon retention/manipulation/takeaway/defense
    I carry the 17 because its the most used in our department and its high capacity. The Gold Dots in it will work just as well as the .45 or .40 if I do my part.
    Last edited by 64zebra; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

FWIW, i'm most accurate with my Mk23. but accuracy is somewhat irrelavant in a gunfight
    Looks like you should stick to XBOX.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Try as they might, no one has yet managed to get as much firepower (ammo capacity) per ounce of gun weight as Glock has managed to do.

Went through this exercise myself, and got a Glock 30 for duty use. I wanted to be able to carry it concealed as well, or I would have gone with the larger G21.
    64zebra and glockman10mm like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Do you know where I can buy a fnx45?
    FNX45 for sale search
    https://www.google.com/search?q=FNX+...ient=firefox-a
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Try as they might, no one has yet managed to get as much firepower (ammo capacity) per ounce of gun weight as Glock has managed to do.

Went through this exercise myself, and got a Glock 30 for duty use. I wanted to be able to carry it concealed as well, or I would have gone with the larger G21.
    go ahead, take the plunge....get the 21 too, I did....you won't regret it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    go ahead, take the plunge....get the 21 too, I did....you won't regret it
    Stop it! You're a bad influence!

Actually, since the G30 will take the G21's mags, there is no reason to get the G21 (for me, anyway).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Stop it! You're a bad influence!

Actually, since the G30 will take the G21's mags, there is no reason to get the G21 (for me, anyway).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...
    but its so sweet to shoot....and the mag interoperability is great...hence I have 21/30 and 17/26
    glockman10mm likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

10thmtn, their is a g21 calling you. Listen....11000TTTTHHHHMMMMTTTNN! Iaaammmm wwwaaiittiinng fooorrrr yyoouuu! I SHHHOOTTT SOOOO GGGGGOOODDD!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My father in law works for a SO and their whole dept just swapped from G22s to G21sf's. He really likes his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

VIP Member
    Teeeennnnntttthhhh mmooouuuunnnnttttaaaaaiiiiinnnnnn.......yyyooouuuu caaaaaannnnoooooottttt rrrreeeeesssiiiisssttttt theeeee pppooooowwwweeeeeerrrrr

see.....it gets along with a G30 and others just fine.............and it loves a TLR-1 or TLR-2
    glockman10mm and oneshot like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

La la la la la...I'm not listening...

(real reason...bought too many guns this year already...here's my wife -> )
    Last edited by 10thmtn; August 22nd, 2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: fix smilie
    glockman10mm and 64zebra like this.
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links