Seriously considering G21 for duty gun???

This is a discussion on Seriously considering G21 for duty gun??? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn La la la la la...I'm not listening... (real reason...bought too many guns this year already...here's my wife -> ) lol, I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Seriously considering G21 for duty gun???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    La la la la la...I'm not listening...

(real reason...bought too many guns this year already...here's my wife -> )
    lol, I know what you mean....I've been good, I haven't made an acquisition in a year
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

The G21 seemed like the best bet. I have shot them well (very limited training with them) but I'm just not a fan of the pistol (actually I don't know what I don't like about them)

Thought about a USP45 as well.

FWIW, i'm most accurate with my Mk23. but accuracy is somewhat irrelavant in a gunfight

?????????? Not sure i get this statement, i would think accuracy is very relevant in a gun fight ?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    The G21 seemed like the best bet. I have shot them well (very limited training with them) but I'm just not a fan of the pistol (actually I don't know what I don't like about them)

FWIW, i'm most accurate with my Mk23. but accuracy is somewhat irrelavant in a gunfight

?????????? Not sure i get this statement, i would think accuracy is very relevant in a gun fight ?
    yeah, not to mention the Mk23 has a 6" barrel and weights 3 1/4 lbs loaded....don't think I'd even consider it for a LE duty pistol, compared to a G21 4.6" barrel and 2 1/3 lbs loaded
    then consider $1600-$2000 for a Mk23 vs $550-$600 for a G21.....decision pretty easy in my eyes
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post

Hey bud. I really worded that wrong. But the difference between these pistols are couple inches at 25 yards. I can group a mk23 at 2 inches. The mp40 will give me about 5. And this is slow fire.

What this means is an inch of a difference in accuracy is irrelevant. They all service grade accurate. I'm not going bench shooting.

Anyways, I got a mp40 pro. Will make a fine duty pistol. Going to pick up a g21 as well. Liked it better than the mp45 when I shoot them side by side.

Btw, on the hip or thigh, I really can't feel the 1lb difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts...
    My issued duty weapon is a gen4 Glock 17. Issue ammo is Ranger T series +P+. I carry two spare mags. I have little faith in the round. It is a poor performer IMO. I've seen it fail times it shouldn't have. It sucks at penetrating bone. Take a dog with a thick skull (rottweiler) and do a head shot with the dog charging you at a distance of about 7 feet. Not a glancing hit but dead center. Yes it will fracture the skull some but will not penetrate and the dog will probably (like I saw) run in the opposite direction. Why do I continue to use it? Because I get ammo for it for free. :)

My off duty weapon is a gen3 Glock23C. I love it. Just small enough that I can easily conceal it. Powerful. Controllable.

If I was going to replace my duty weapon it would be with a Glock but for me it would be a 22C. Of course then only if my department would provide me ammo for it. Just because I'm a big fan of the 40 and know that it is a very effective round.

Whatever you get make sure you can get a retention holster for it (if required) that fits a lights. I used to think they were kind of silly until my department started issuing them with a holster to keep it mounted. I was so used to clearing houses and searching for people with a weapon in one hand and flashlight in the other. As a matter of fact for months I would still without thinking pull out my flashlight and my gun even though I now had a light on the gun already. Now that I've gotten used to the weapon mounted light I don't think I could ever go back.

Most of the LEO that I know and are able to choose their own pistol to carry on duty choose a 1911 or a SIG. That's just my experience. Feel lucky that you have a choice IMO.
    Glocks are not the last word in the chapter IMO. I've learned this myself since I chose a SIG for my 45ACP pistol after years of experience with the G21 and G30 myself. The 45GAP might be appealing in ways, but if I had a choice....the G20 might prevail if the full size Glock worked for me. The HK USP45 has appealed to me before as well. However......the system would require me to learn things like an old dog learning new tricks. I'd say you should be able to try out anything you want at your local gun shop showing your LE credentials at the cost of ammo. You have a chance to make a wise decision here, and hopefully your department will reimburse you for some of the cost. If not......I think you can write it off on your taxes. Best of luck deciding on what your carry will be. You're in a good spot compared to many others who's choice is made for them.
    If your department is supplying you with practice ammo then the sky's the limit IMO. Not sure how they do things there.

Might not hurt to ask for a sponsor for your duty weapon....and ask at any of your local FFLs for LEO discounts for sure.

Distinguished Member
    I was going to say stay with what you know and get an M&P, but I see you already did.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Most of the LEO that I know and are able to choose their own pistol to carry on duty choose a 1911 or a SIG. That's just my experience. Feel lucky that you have a choice IMO.
    Glocks are not the last word in the chapter IMO. I've learned this myself since I chose a SIG for my 45ACP pistol after years of experience with the G21 and G30 myself. The 45GAP might be appealing in ways, but if I had a choice....the G20 might prevail if the full size Glock worked for me. The HK USP45 has appealed to me before as well. However......the system would require me to learn things like an old dog learning new tricks. I'd say you should be able to try out anything you want at your local gun shop showing your LE credentials at the cost of ammo. You have a chance to make a wise decision here, and hopefully your department will reimburse you for some of the cost. If not......I think you can write it off on your taxes. Best of luck deciding on what your carry will be. You're in a good spot compared to many others who's choice is made for them.
    If your department is supplying you with practice ammo then the sky's the limit IMO. Not sure how they do things there.

Might not hurt to ask for a sponsor for your duty weapon....and ask at any of your local FFLs for LEO discounts for sure.
    I know, I am very lucky that I get to choose what I want. this is really why I made this post. now that I have the option of carrying what I want, I really want to make it count and get something I would love :)

I shot the Mk23 again... what a pistol. i'm just so good with that thing. but yeah, carrying an almost 2,000 gun can be a heartbreaker if I have to use it, and it's held in evidence. Might still qualify with it, just in case.

yeah, there are several places that give the LEO discount here. a G21 was $465 when I asked last week... I think the MP45 was $425.

Quote Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
    My thoughts...
    My issued duty weapon is a gen4 Glock 17. Issue ammo is Ranger T series +P+. I carry two spare mags. I have little faith in the round. It is a poor performer IMO. I've seen it fail times it shouldn't have. It sucks at penetrating bone. Take a dog with a thick skull (rottweiler) and do a head shot with the dog charging you at a distance of about 7 feet. Not a glancing hit but dead center. Yes it will fracture the skull some but will not penetrate and the dog will probably (like I saw) run in the opposite direction. Why do I continue to use it? Because I get ammo for it for free. :)

My off duty weapon is a gen3 Glock23C. I love it. Just small enough that I can easily conceal it. Powerful. Controllable.

If I was going to replace my duty weapon it would be with a Glock but for me it would be a 22C. Of course then only if my department would provide me ammo for it. Just because I'm a big fan of the 40 and know that it is a very effective round.

Whatever you get make sure you can get a retention holster for it (if required) that fits a lights. I used to think they were kind of silly until my department started issuing them with a holster to keep it mounted. I was so used to clearing houses and searching for people with a weapon in one hand and flashlight in the other. As a matter of fact for months I would still without thinking pull out my flashlight and my gun even though I now had a light on the gun already. Now that I've gotten used to the weapon mounted light I don't think I could ever go back.
    The dept issues Glock 22. the chief told me that if I brought another caliber pistol, I'd have to supply my own ammo. so because of this I ended up getting a MP40pro (I like the MP9, but hey, if I'm getting the .40 from them...)

I'm still looking at the G21. I shot one, and I just pretty much want one now. I preffered the G21 over the MP45 (shot them side by side) as funny as it is, the very large grip of a G21 fit my hand well. for some reason the MP45 didn't feel as good in my hand while shooting. I felt more air pockets around my palm area.

Just throwing it out there, fwiw...

I just weighed my fully loaded Taurus PT1911AR (alum frame) it came in at 3:1.7 lbs... the Mk23 came in at 3:1.5 lbs

so both practically weigh the same (48oz)

and we know there are many people who carry a 1911 on duty.

you get 4 more rounds, and an inch longer barrel.

and to clarify, i'm not defending the mk23 as a duty gun. but people keep saying how it's such a heavy gun, and huge blah blah blah. it actually weighs same as a alum frame 1911, and carries 4 more rounds. just saying ;)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links