Seriously considering G21 for duty gun???

This is a discussion on Seriously considering G21 for duty gun??? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man... I have posts all over the internet about what I want to carry for work... I'm getting on with a small dept, and for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Seriously considering G21 for duty gun???

Man... I have posts all over the internet about what I want to carry for work...

I'm getting on with a small dept, and for the first time ever, I'm not being told what to carry. Instead, I get to carry what I want.

I have gone as wild as a H&K Mk23 to a Five seven to literally ordering a M&P9 pro, and looking at FNX45

I know we all love 1911s, but please respect I don't want to carry one for duty work. I'm more interested in DA/SA and striker pistols for duty...

I want capacity, and have no problems with 9mm or 45. Would prefer to stay away from .40 if I could.

I have been a M&P9 user for the past 3 years with my old place, and loved the gun. very accurate pistol. Enjoyed owning and using it..

I used a G17 at the academy and I was very good at it. I also shot a friend's G19 and I'm very good with that too. but that's all my experience with glocks.

Today I went to look at a G21 and it felt alright. it was a gen 4. felt like any other glock. then I checked out the M&P45. it felt so much better in my hand so much more familiar. but I will never understand why they didn't make the grip a tiny big wider and increased the capacity. I don't want a 10 round .45... 12 is bare minimum.

I wanted to see if there are any M&P converts to glocks... I've seen plenty of glock to MP converts, but not the other way around...

if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

ps - dept uses G22s (FS glock 40) but chief is open if you prefer to carry something else. he was ok with me carrying the Mk23. but I don't think he knows what a mk23 is LOL

The G21 seemed like the best bet. I have shot them well (very limited training with them) but I'm just not a fan of the pistol (actually I don't know what I don't like about them)

Thought about a USP45 as well.

FWIW, i'm most accurate with my Mk23. but accuracy is somewhat irrelavant in a gunfight

I love the fact that I can get a FNX45 for about 600 and that's 15 rounds of .45.... would be a big plus to have a smaller size of the pistol though, so I can off duty carry that (like G19 for off duty, G17 for duty - or USP for duty, USPc for off duty)

Seems like most cops carry Glocks. They are good guns, but at the same time the decision is usually made for them. Where you can finally carry what you want, I'd go with something other than a Glock, because you can and there are better guns out there. One of the best guns I've ever owned is the H&K .45. It's the one they submitted a few years back to be considered as the replacement pistol for military's Beretta. I believe it holds 13+1, and is one of the most ergonomic guns out there. Would look bad a$$ on your side.

JerryMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post

The G21 seemed like the best bet. I have shot them well (very limited training with them) but I'm just not a fan of the pistol (actually I don't know what I don't like about them)
    Seems you pretty much answered your question on the G21.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Seems like most cops carry Glocks. They are good guns, but at the same time the decision is usually made for them. Where you can finally carry what you want, I'd go with something other than a Glock, because you can and there are better guns out there. One of the best guns I've ever owned is the H&K .45. It's the one they submitted a few years back to be considered as the replacement pistol for military's Beretta. I believe it holds 13+1, and is one of the most ergonomic guns out there. Would look bad a$$ on your side.

I would LOVE that pistol, but it's a 10 rounder, not 13

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I would LOVE that pistol, but it's a 10 rounder, not 13
    For some reason I thought it was 13, but you are correct. Personally, I would change your own rule on mag capacity, remembering that 10+1 of .45 ACP Federal HST 230 grain is going to compensate against higher capacity .40 and 9mm guns. This gun is absolutely beautiful and functional. The only thing you may tire with it, will be curious questions from coworkers and others wanting to know what kind of gun that is on your side

FNX 45. Glocks (sorry guys, here comes) are not good fighting weapons. They are uber reliable, yes. They are not good fighting guns. The FNX however is a stellar fighting gun. It has second strike capability, hammer fired (giving you hand to hand combat advantages), da/sa (again, hand to hand combat advantage) and are completely ambi (slide release, safety/decocker, mag release are all exactly equal on both sides of the pistol. And lets face it, if you dont train with both hands, you arent training. I have an FNX9 that i've now put a boat load of rounds through. It's has never missed a beat, and its super accurate. It holds (I think?) 15+1 in .45, and feels straight up perfect in the hand.

Nobody in the world can knock a Glock for reliability. I own them, and they are great guns. For a duty gun however, no thanks. If nothing else, give an FN a try. I didnt have high hopes until I shot one. Now i'm a proud owner. I think an FNX 45 will soon replace my Sig p220 as a duty gun.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    FNX 45. Glocks (sorry guys, here comes) are not good fighting weapons. They are uber reliable, yes. They are not good fighting guns. The FNX however is a stellar fighting gun. It has second strike capability, hammer fired (giving you hand to hand combat advantages), da/sa (again, hand to hand combat advantage) and are completely ambi (slide release, safety/decocker, mag release are all exactly equal on both sides of the pistol. And lets face it, if you dont train with both hands, you arent training. I have an FNX9 that i've now put a boat load of rounds through. It's has never missed a beat, and its super accurate. It holds (I think?) 15+1 in .45, and feels straight up perfect in the hand.

Nobody in the world can knock a Glock for reliability. I own them, and they are great guns. For a duty gun however, no thanks. If nothing else, give an FN a try. I didnt have high hopes until I shot one. Now i'm a proud owner. I think an FNX 45 will soon replace my Sig p220 as a duty gun.
    Do you know where I can buy a fnx45?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Not yet, although they're on FN's site. I'll do a little homework and see if I can find one. I'm just waiting on a good level III holster for it. From what i'm told, blackhawk and sarafiland are working on level III's. I'll send up a link for the FNX when I get one.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    What, pray tell, makes the Glock a bad fighting gun?
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post

Something about this post doesn't pass the common sense test.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ron8903 likes this.

I would look at what others are carrying in your dept and what the county carries. I underatand getting to be your own and carry something unusual, but i have been grateful more than once knowing that i could interchange mags with someone else.
    64zebra likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I was little confused about hand to hand combat and da/sa too lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'm wondering too why a Glock isnt a goof fighting weapon...Ive personally never had an issue with the Glocks Ive used. like every other weapon it takes practice and practice and more practice to become proficient.

Glocks, like I said, are great guns. If you get into a fight with one however, you are at a disadvantage. In a fight over a weapon, the DA SA allows you to block a trigger if BG gets the upper hand. That first pull is DA, which allows for quite a bit of room behind that trigger. You can also manipulate your hand over the slide blocking a hammer. Thats pretty tough with a Glock. If you dont train that way, its a moot point. Glock users obviously dont (cant) train for this.

Granted if you find yourself in that situation, you did something wrong...however its nice to have those options.

I train for things that I hopefully wont ever encounter. Do I think i'll ever need to do a weak hand, one handed double feed clear? Probably not. Do I train for it? Every single range session.

Will I ever need to defend my weapon from an attacker than gets hold of it? Probably not. Do I train to defend against it? Yup, every chance I get. All I was trying to say was there are tactics that can be used with a DA SA hammer fired weapon that do not work with a striker fired weapon. The OP seems to be in a profession where a hand to hand encounter is more likely than a guy CC'ing at PetCo. That was why I brought up what I did. It's not for everyone.

My off duty guns are primarily striker fired. Glock, XD, Kahr primarily. But on duty, i'll take a DA SA hammer fired gun every time.
    JerryMac and ericb327 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links