Todays Military...do you want this for your kid?

This is a discussion on Todays Military...do you want this for your kid? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rotorblade I guess I've always assumed that our kids had the best equipment money could buy when they deployed...this was quite an ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Todays Military...do you want this for your kid?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I guess I've always assumed that our kids had the best equipment money could buy when they deployed...this was quite an eye opener.
    Real Disappointed.....
    Never assume that. The military has always gotten by with whatever they can buy from the lowest bidder on a contract, meaning the cheapest crap they can get taht meets their minimum qualifications. In the mean time, we're busy re-outfitting 300+ M1 Abrams tanks that the military has said they have no use or need for.. thanks for Government contracts and political back room deals to keep "jobs in state."

I'd rather work for Blackwater or a SpecOps team. At least they get to pick their own gear.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The same amount? Not hardly. But yeah, we do have nice golf courses.
    I am curious about the one that used to be at NNMC in Bethesda. It was local legend that part of the deal for them getting the property was that they had to maintain the golf course on the campus. I think it was done away with sometime during the 1990s.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Never assume that. The military has always gotten by with whatever they can buy from the lowest bidder on a contract, meaning the cheapest crap they can get taht meets their minimum qualifications. In the mean time, we're busy re-outfitting 300+ M1 Abrams tanks that the military has said they have no use or need for.. thanks for Government contracts and political back room deals to keep "jobs in state."

I'd rather work for Blackwater or a SpecOps team. At least they get to pick their own gear.
    What's your experience with military gear and the issuing process? I never found myself wanting for anything (within reason) while in the Army. I actually had more gear than I knew what to do with....easily enough to outfit 2 soldiers or more. Can't really remember any of my "crap" lowest bidder gear failing either. Oh, and on that note who doesn't use the lowest bidder to fill orders? Using the lowest bidder that meets specs is wise use of taxpayer money. Anything else would be wasteful.

About those M1's, who is to say we won't need them in the future? The military makes the same mistake after each conflict. They always mold the military into something that is ready for the last war instead of maintaining the capacity to take on anything.

Oh, and we also chose our own gear in a lot of instances. Even if we didn't get some flexibility I'd rather have the backup, support, and firepower of the US Army behind me than the ability to pick my favorite "tacticool" nylon.

There are many ways of purchasing equipment in the military and government and they are set forth in regulations and law. I amnot a contracting officer but familiar with purchassing (SOCOM). This is a VERY GENERAL statement so take it as such.
    Contracts go to the lowest bidder after several contractors have been selected to bid for the contract. If it is an open bid i.e anybody on the list of apporved contractors can submit a bid and they must demonstrate they can provide the product or service under the specifications given. That means they can make xyz cheaper than abc and still maintain quality. Think of it as you going to Walmart and spending money on the generic tylonel vs name brand. They both do the same thing. One is cheaper.

Othe contracts are closed for differetn reasons. Security clearance issues or other reasons. Aircraft are not necessarily given to the "lowest bidder".
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links