Citizen Police Academy - Page 2

Citizen Police Academy

This is a discussion on Citizen Police Academy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Caertaker I agree about being intrigued but would probably never participate. I consider myself sympathetic to what LEOs have to put up ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Citizen Police Academy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I agree about being intrigued but would probably never participate. I consider myself sympathetic to what LEOs have to put up with and it would be interesting to validate my suspicions. I'm always interested in more firearms training but I don't want to be a cop. I also don't want to be treated like a perp. I'm not saying that I would be treated like a perp just that after dealing with the worst aspects of humanity on a daily basis some LEOs become a little jaded and it seems to color their perspective: they see everyone as a perp. Everyone's life experience changes their outlook on life so there's no surprise there but I get up every morning under the delusion that I'm one of the good guys, an asset to soceity. I'd rather not place myself in a situation where I have to interact with others who question that belief just because I choose to strap on a sidearm upon waking up in the morning.
    huh?
    I thought this thread was about people learning what goes on inside, and what training is provided by, their local LE agency
    what did I miss?????
    glockman10mm, JDE101 and kb2wji like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I think it's one of the best programs ever! I would highly encourage your participation Joker.
    It is good for both the citizens to see what their tax dollars are doing, and gives the agency feedback from their " bosses" that help them with policy decisions.
    Overall an excellent way of bringing positive cooperation and understanding between the two.
    joker1 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    huh?
    I thought this thread was about people learning what goes on inside, and what training is provided by, their local LE agency
    what did I miss?????
    Agreed. I'm not sure what that's about.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well I submitted my application and I've been accepted...so I start tomorrow evening. Guess I passed their background check so let the fun begin. I'm excited not giddy or anything but I think it will be a good experience.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Well I submitted my application and I've been accepted...so I start tomorrow evening. Guess I passed their background check so let the fun begin. I'm excited not giddy or anything but I think it will be a good experience.
    If it's anything like the one I attended a couple of years ago, you'll enjoy it, learn a lot, and gain a greater appreciation for your police department and what the officers do and put up with. Be sure and write an "after class" report and let us know how it went!
    joker1 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Well I completed the Citizens Police Academy. Great experience, I highly recommend it if your local LEO agency offers it.

More on this subject later.
    NRA Life Member

Glad you got the chance to take the citizens class. I am one of the two ceritifited Defensive-Tactics instructors that my department has. We both take the time to teach every citizens class when it is put on. Almost every person has a great time and learns a lot about what it takes to do the job. I get stopped often by someone who taken the class over a year ago to thank me for teaching it and ask more questions. To a person they can not believe how much an officer has to take in and act upon in such a very short peirod of time.
    joker1 likes this.

I also highly recommend taking these if the opportunity arises. Besides usually being lots of fun I figure it never hurts to network and get remembered by LEOs in a positive way. Especially as a CCW citizen.

As a matter of fact I first tok the city's class and then the county's which just finished. I have a ride along scheduled for next Wednesday.

Oh and did I mention both programs take you to their firearms training simulator? That is a lot of fun and lets you see how you would react and how acurate you can be.
    joker1 likes this.

Review (Warning): Maybe I shoulda been a wrter.

I did 2 ride-alongs. This department works 6-6 shifts so we started about 6pm and went through the vehicle checks and what equipment is carried in the vehicle. Was told the officers number and use this handset to call out the officers number and "signal 13" if they are in trouble. The officers have a microphone on them so I was able to hear their conversation during traffic stops and such.

Responded to a loud music call. Took a theft report, someone left something valuable laying in the back seat of a crappy car and didn't bother to lock the doors. Watched some surveillance footage. We did a civil stand-by for a custody transfer. Pulled over a speeder. Took a report for someone losing their wallet and their rent money, wallet was found but the cash wasn't. Had to haul behind to the scene of a one vehicle roll-over. Got there and people were ok. Driver ran off and his one-half was screaming "he's drunk". Never found the guy and her story kept changing the more she told it. Responded to a 10-91 (break in in progress or something) so we hurried to that from across town, found nothing. Walked through a couple of clubs (interesting). About 2 am we pulled over a pick-up without headlights on and guess what, driver has a beverage. Could've been root beer, NOT! Watched a field sobriety test administered and failed. Person arrested and taken to PD for a more advanced breath test and then taken to jail. After that I was advised the paperwork was going to be a long while, it was after 3 so I decided to go on home. It was a real interesting evening. Part of me wanted it to be a whole lot more action, but part of me is glad it wasn't.

The next ride along I did was daytime. I'm not going to be the one responsible for you waking up with a keyboard imprint on your face so we won't even go into details. The most interesting thing that happened was a storm came through and we happened upon a tree that had fallen over onto a tow truck and was blocking the street. The locals had 3 chainsaws running by time we got there so we responded to a few silent alarms that were likely triggered by the storm. Let's just say if I ever do another ride along, it'll be night shift.

We learned a lot about traffic stops, accident scenes, prosecution, animal control, record keeping, crime scene investigation, handling of evidence, DUI enforcement, illegal drugs, domestic violence, sexual crimes, use of force, and gangs. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. We saw the communications (dispatch) dungeon and toured the county jail. We have a gang problem here, we have drug problems, we have some sick people that do bad things to children. Not unlike most every town with more than 100 people. I don't know how these officers resist the urge to Judge Dredd some of the people they apprehend.

We saw pictures of meth labs, baby bottles and cookers in the same picture. Saw pictures of pipes just laying around where babies could get to them. Heard of some of the rediculous things drug addicts will do. Saw a gang symbol (a latin gang that uses a bird as one of it's symbols) that was made in jail out of doritos bags. The amount of skill, ingenuity, and talent wasted by gang members and drug users blows my mind.

One Saturday we went to the range and fired their duty pistol, the GLOCK 22. Some of the class had never shot a gun before. Several other class members were impressed with my marksmanship, one even asked how I was so good at that. I just told him a lot of practice, didn't tell him it was usually with a GLOCK 19. I'm not sure what others did but I felt I did pretty good. 3, 7, and 10 yards. Then we got to shoot an MP5! Did a few rounds semi-auto, then a few 3 round bursts, then full-auto. Felt it rise and go to my right but kept it pretty much on paper, even on full auto I regulated the trigger to more of a 3+ round burst mode. Subconciously I suppose I didn't want to scare any planes flying over, but if they would've given me another full magazine or 2 I think I would've let 'er rip. They fired a few bean bag rounds at a steel drum just to show us the amount of non-lethal force they use. Deployed a "flashbang", we were advised to keep ear protection on but had the option of going commando if we wanted. I kept mine on. This was an outdoor range and it was still pretty intense and loud. They had to retreive the lever and account for it.

Learned that police officers are people too. Just like us they want to go home at the end of the day. I know they get paid to do the work they do but they put themselves in dangerous situations to help us. They have families, likes, dislikes, personalities, a sense of humor, and they can be understanding.

They mentioned they are needing officers and volunteers (Police Auxillary) so yeah there was some recruitment going on. I think I'm too old to embark on a career in law enforcement but I'm considering joining the Auxillary. A few weekly training meetings, a monthly meeting, and 8 hours a month on assisting the police in the field.

Ultimately I am so glad I took the academy and I recommend it to everyone. Not just concealed carriers, anyone can benefit from positive interaction with police and insight into what they actually do in between billion dollar drug raids and blasting bad guys back 50 feet with one shot.
    LenS, JDE101, highvoltage and 2 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

Update

Well I interviewed for the Police Auxillary last night and should know later this week if they'll have me. Asked what I like to do, why I want to join, and presented some scenarios. Proud to say none of my scenarios answers included the phrase "blade at 45 degree angle". We'll see what happens, I think it went ok but wish me luck.
    NRA Life Member

Very neat! Thanks for sharing! I just checked to see if my town does these and it turns out that they do it annually. I might check it out next year!

Well good luck to you joker! Sounds like you had a great experience. And given the scum that they have to deal with on a daily basis, I'm sure it was a breath of fresh air to interact with some normal people too. Best of luck and keep us posted for sure.
    joker1 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Alright Joker! Sounds like you have had a good time and had a few experiences. I wish everyone could see and deal with some of the trash we deal with. Believe me, I have wanted to go Judge Dredd many times.
    The only thing that stopped me was the need to feed my family.
    joker1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Ultimately I am so glad I took the academy and I recommend it to everyone. Not just concealed carriers, anyone can benefit from positive interaction with police and insight into what they actually do in between billion dollar drug raids and blasting bad guys back 50 feet with one shot.
    Pretty much the reason I did it, as well. Worthwhile, having the improved communication and understanding ... both directions.
    JDE101 and joker1 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I too have attended the Citizens Police Academy in my area...The department has just initiated a Phase Two program as a followup to the first segment. It went quite a bit more in depth, as well as integrated some serious SIM time and range time on any police weapon we desired to fire. Only stipulation for Phase Two, you had to be a grad of the Phase One course. Did ride-a-longs in both phases...Best time for the ride-a-long is the end/first of the month and full moon...LOL...Seems the really strange folks decide to come out during that time. Great info, great training, great enjoyment, and the opportunity to make friends with some truly dedicated LEO's. I'd recommend Citizen's Police Academy to anyone that wants to see how things work behind the badge. Thanks to all the guys/gals that choose to "protect and serve". JMO
    JDE101 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links