M14 vs. M16 - Page 2

M14 vs. M16

This is a discussion on M14 vs. M16 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When it comes to long range accuracy, reliability, durability, and stopping power, it be the M-14. But when it comes to faster reloading, simpler handling ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: M14 vs. M16

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    When it comes to long range accuracy, reliability, durability, and stopping power, it be the M-14. But when it comes to faster reloading, simpler handling (provided one is familiar with its controls), more firepower, different select fire options, and lighter weight, it be the M-16.

Lucky for us gun nuts, no one gun does it all. Can you imagine how bored we'd all be if we just had one rifle/caliber to deal with? We'd have nothing to debate!
    HotGuns likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think the perfect "happy medium' is the 6.5 and 6.8 cartridges out there now. It's too bad that they are not economically viable. It would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to switch (maybe even billions) and they aren't that much better than the OTM 5.56 rounds.
    Many moons ago, it was realized that the "best compromise" caliber for general military use was the .270. For supply, inventory, budget, and political reasons - it just has never been fielded. Maybe some day...right before slug throwers become obsolete and get replaced by ray guns...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

When I was deployed I preferred the m14 for long range single targets. With the m14 I could snipe a target at 600-800 yards while with the m4 I was lucky to spray dust at 500 yards. Each shooter is different and your ranges will vary. But with me in deadly as hell with a m14 and for single target 500+ yards give me my M14!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or what's more fun for combat is using a 240B and cutting them in half!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CLASS3NH likes this.

M1A 01.jpgI well use this, my NM. Years ago I carried one with the rock & switch on it.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Many moons ago, it was realized that the "best compromise" caliber for general military use was the .270. For supply, inventory, budget, and political reasons - it just has never been fielded. Maybe some day...right before slug throwers become obsolete and get replaced by ray guns...
    Are you thinking of the 276 Pedersen (125 gr 7mm bullet at 2550 fps) that Garand originally designed for his superb rifle? Or the .280 British (7x43 a 140 gr 7mm bullet at 2530 fps) that the US army shot down in favor of the 7.62 X 51?

I like the AR-10. Same platform everybody loves, more universal round. Unfortunately more weight.

I'd love an AR in .270 though.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

If one had to leave it'd be the AR15 rather than the M1A for sure. No AR10 is needed in place of the M1A either.
    gasmitty, CLASS3NH and pistola like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

bmcgilvray: nice wood on that M1A. Mind telling us about it?

Michael

"bmcgilvray: nice wood on that M1A. Mind telling us about it?"

Here's a better photo of the rifle, taken at the same time. This rifle came with a military contract, plain dark birch stock. Back when Fred's M14 Stocks first started advertising in the "Shotgun News" I contacted him and requested that he send me the fanciest grade military walnut stock he could muster out of his stores and this is what was sent out. It does look better in person than the photograph shows it. The stock is also very hard, very dense, and quite heavy, even if it isn't an oversized "competition grade" stock. It's an original piece of U.S. equipment with appropriate acceptance stamps. It was just never issued. At that time Fred didn't have firm prices for the "fancy" wood. He did charge a premium for the special selection but it was really reasonable. Since then I've seen a few even fancier walnut stocks from out of his inventory. Prices on the "fancy" grade stocks have risen to far more than I would consider to be practical to pay for an accessory stock for an M1A but this one was fun to order, look forward to, and receive at the time (early to mid-1990s perhaps?).

Here it is again, shown in some crummy photographs, in the late evening sun after a fresh maintenance coat of raw linseed oil was applied. The stock is interesting in that it is like a hologram, showing different figure and pattern, depending on from which angle it's viewed. It's shinier just after the application of the oil than it is when the oil soaks in and cures. Does it shoot better with the fancy stock? Actually, probably not in fact but the rifle seems to group better off the bench rest with the fancy stock than with a utility grade walnut stock kept on hand for "rough service." Or, perhaps it's all in my head.

pistola, mlr1m and wmhawth like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

That's a beauty.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

I think the perfect "happy medium' is the 6.5 and 6.8 cartridges out there now. It's too bad that they are not economically viable. It would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to switch (maybe even billions) and they aren't that much better than the OTM 5.56 rounds.
    I support this thinking. My go to bolt action is a 6.5 and ballistics are very nice.

Are you thinking of the 276 Pedersen (125 gr 7mm bullet at 2550 fps) that Garand originally designed for his superb rifle? Or the .280 British (7x43 a 140 gr 7mm bullet at 2530 fps) that the US army shot down in favor of the 7.62 X 51?
    Yes, both. All the testing has shown that this class is the "best overall" compromise caliber, yet we refuse to field it for a host of reasons. Oh well...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yes, both. All the testing has shown that this class is the "best overall" compromise caliber, yet we refuse to field it for a host of reasons. Oh well...
    It's funny to me that one of the very best cartridges ever made was one of the first (in modern rifles). I think the 7X57 Mauser is pretty awesome. If it was just a bit shorter to work in a shorter rifle it would have been perfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links