M14 vs. M16

This is a discussion on M14 vs. M16 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have both. A transferable M14 and M16 gun. Each has it's own place on the battlefield. The M14 is a GREAT long range gun, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: M14 vs. M16

I have both. A transferable M14 and M16 gun. Each has it's own place on the battlefield. The M14 is a GREAT long range gun, yet on "rock and roll" it can be all over the place after the 3rd round going downrange. That is if you don't extend the sling and step on it in order to stop muzzle rise. The M16 platform is a lot more controlable, and is effective out to 300 meters (my own opinion here) After that, it's all downhill. I know some will argue this, but remember, it's just my opinion.
    I have a DSA FN FAL STG58 type 16.25 inch BBL semi auto gun that shoots incredibly well.
    I kinda like the Saco Lowell/ Maramont M60 or the Browning/Marlin 1918A2 BAR for all the right reasons.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Shiphted View Post
    Or what's more fun for combat is using a 240B and cutting them in half!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With ever 5th round being a Tracer.........Just in case you need to lead em a little bit
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

My take..... On the combat side of things, the M4/CAR-15 is much lighter and in an somewhat urban (even CQC/CQB) setting..... think Iraq or Somalia, that platform wins hands down.

Now, lets take it 'out-of-town'....... downrange and outside the wire..... deserts, mountians, etc., That M14 has a BIG advantage in my opinion.

Now on the non-combat/gun-nut/fun/practial HD/SHTF bug-out EOTWAWKI blah, blah, blah...... a little AR-15 seems like just the thing.
    Of course, there's NO replacement for displacement, and this lil' gem.........SocomGreen_on_ground615x432-465x316.jpg ....... has captured my attention! A Springer SOCOM (M-14) with a SAGE EBR and/or a Troy Industries aftermarket stock. Even the SA SOCOM with the standard composite/plastic stock is a nice rifle.

EMP, this is a fun thread you started........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It's funny to me that one of the very best cartridges ever made was one of the first (in modern rifles). I think the 7X57 Mauser is pretty awesome. If it was just a bit shorter to work in a shorter rifle it would have been perfect.
    Presto!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm-08_Remington

I have a 7X57 and it's a really neato round. Whitetail deer go down for the count when shot with the 7X57 and a suitable handload. The 7mm-08 will accomplish the same thing in a short action.

I don't personally care a hoot about having a short-action bolt rifle but the notion is very appealing to many folks. The .270 Winchester, 7X57, and .30-06 and rifle actions for them suit me fine.

The 6.5/.264 diameter family of cartridges looks really intriguing too.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Besides the weight of the rifle and ammo limitations of the M-14 on the battlefield it also id far behind more modern weapons in serviceability. The 15 is easily repaired or even re-barreled if need be. Not so with the 14.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    With ever 5th round being a Tracer.........Just in case you need to lead em a little bit
    Exactly! Memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Presto!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm-08_Remington

I have a 7X57 and it's a really neato round. Whitetail deer go down for the count when shot with the 7X57 and a suitable handload. The 7mm-08 will accomplish the same thing in a short action.

I don't personally care a hoot about having a short-action bolt rifle but the notion is very appealing to many folks. The .270 Winchester, 7X57, and .30-06 and rifle actions for them suit me fine.

The 6.5/.264 diameter family of cartridges looks really intriguing too.
    Yep. IMO the 94 Mausers were the perfect/best military bolt rifle ever made. The right size, the right weight and a very potent cartridge in the 6.5 X 55.

For some reason I've just always like the 7mm cartridges the best though. I think the perfect round would have been a 7X45mm or a 6.5X45 with a rifle and action built to fit it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links