.357Sig and the the Military? - Page 2

.357Sig and the the Military?

This is a discussion on .357Sig and the the Military? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Special Forces IE "Green Berets" have some leeway in what they are able to carry. For the most part it is either the M9 or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: .357Sig and the the Military?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Special Forces IE "Green Berets" have some leeway in what they are able to carry. For the most part it is either the M9 or a Glock of some sort mission dependent. Carrying an M9 in Afghanistan is fine when you don't have to conceal it. However a Glock 19 is quite a bit easier to conceal if your mission requirements dictate that you be in civilian clothes quite a lot. SFOD-D from what I hear can carry pretty much anything they want to. They select the best weapons they can for the mission they are going to be doing. I have never heard however of anyone carrying the 357 sig. As I stated before I know some of the investigation detachments carry .40 S&W, and I believe the Coast Guard LE carry the SIG P229 in .40 also. I think that is the only non standard military round that anyone carries in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Special Forces IE "Green Berets" have some leeway in what they are able to carry. For the most part it is either the M9 or a Glock of some sort mission dependent. Carrying an M9 in Afghanistan is fine when you don't have to conceal it. However a Glock 19 is quite a bit easier to conceal if your mission requirements dictate that you be in civilian clothes quite a lot. SFOD-D from what I hear can carry pretty much anything they want to. They select the best weapons they can for the mission they are going to be doing. I have never heard however of anyone carrying the 357 sig. As I stated before I know some of the investigation detachments carry .40 S&W, and I believe the Coast Guard LE carry the SIG P229 in .40 also. I think that is the only non standard military round that anyone carries in the military.
    Ummmm. OK.
    suntzu likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I know U.S. Air Marshal Service has issued handguns chambered in .357 Sig. I know of no branch of military using the same. In fact, I know some 6th SF guys who simply don't/won't use a .45 acp. Seems the empty brass leaves a trail that's, according to them, "entirely too American". They want a handgun chambered in the most available, easiest caliber to beg, borrow or steal in the area they were working. That's 9mm. And, the ones that I know, prefer the Sig 226, the Beretta M9 & (a surprise to me) the GLOCK G19. The LGS commando is (IMHO) a popcorn fart.
    Not for nothing, but there hasn't been a 6th SFG for 40+years.
    suntzu likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Where are some of these pearls of wisdom about the SF/Spec Ops community coming from?

SFOD-D from what I hear....
    Hear from who I would like to know.....

From the community..haven't you been paying attention.
    suntzu likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Where are some of these pearls of wisdom about the SF/Spec Ops community coming from?
    Movies, TV, and the local gun store commando. :)
    suntzu, msgt/ret and Bad Bob like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Having had a few years dealing with the military supply system under my ever-expanding belt, I could have easily requisitioned 9mm and .45 ammo, those being stocked items with assigned NSNs. An order for something like .357 SIG would be possible after a pile of "special requisition" paperwork and a six-month wait until someone decided to send out bids for filling it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like you've met Gecko's li'l brother.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

OD*
    6th SF, typo maybe?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    6th SF, typo maybe?
    [SARCASM] That's what they call Special Forces attached to Seal team 6. Or that's what I heard... [/SARCASM]
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Oh yah, that's what it is. I completely forget about that.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    6th SF, typo maybe?
    Excuse my bad memory gents. I've been (recently) diagnosed with OGD (Old Guy's Disease). I only met these guys twice. Once at a LGS and once at a range behind a gunsmith friend's shop. That's where my info was received.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Excuse my bad memory gents. I've been (recently) diagnosed with OGD (Old Guy's Disease). I only met these guys twice. Once at a LGS and once at a range behind a gunsmith friend's shop. That's where my info was received.
    No harm, no foul.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Has any branch of the U.S. Military ever issued any sidearm chambered in .357Sig?
    I haven't heard of it. All I know is we use 9mm and .45cal, sig or Beretta. I can't say I've heard anything about a 357.

VIP Member
    Well today after a rather long meeting I was able to plan and pull off a dinner, with local food, for an SF Major who is leaving in a couple of days. After presenting him with a Mk 1, No. 3 Enfield as a parting gift the talk turned to firearms as it always does and I asked this specific question and he stated that he had not heard of any being used.

I was also privledged that the Major had invited one of the SEAL teams who had come in for a dual mission to the dinner. They also stated that they did not have any they were aware of they had Berettas and were all carrying either SIG 226's or 228's (whatever the compact version of the 226 is in 9mm) with extended mags. I will say I have never met a more humble group of guys than I have with the SF, Army and Navy, here. They are truly quiet professionals with some really great adventures under their belts should they choose to share them.
    Bad Bob, ArmyMan, suntzu and 1 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links