Sherriff's Reserve application - Page 2

Sherriff's Reserve application

This is a discussion on Sherriff's Reserve application within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not giving legal advice here but you would be covered by LEOSA. So long as you have powers of arrest and are authorized to carry ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sherriff's Reserve application

Not giving legal advice here but you would be covered by LEOSA. So long as you have powers of arrest and are authorized to carry a firearm, if you have your agency-issued picture id you can carry in the 50 United States, its territories and possessions. That said, be aware of some pitfalls in the law, primarily magazine capacity restrictions (Hawaii ten round, NJ fifteen, and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. LEOSA was meant to apply broadly so volunteers count as employees and part time or restricted powers of arrest also qualify. I have been a reserve police officer (volunteer) for an out of state agency after going through their academy late in life, also. I have also carried concealed in just about every non-firearm friendly jurisdiction around, from coast-to-coast, with no problems. Go for it, and good luck!
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

VIP Member
    good luck man, keep us posted
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I'm not sure. I have wondered about that very question.

Here are the requirements to qualify for LEOSA:

1.an employee of a governmental agency,
    2.be authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law,
    3.have statutory powers of arrest,
    4.be authorized by the agency to carry a firearm,
    5.not be the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency (which could result in suspension or loss of police powers),[2] and
    6.meet standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm.

My guess is that we would not be covered, because the Reserve Deputies are not paid, and as I understand it, while they are sworn Peace Officers, they have no arrest powers unless actually on duty.
    You are "employed" by the agency. They issue you your (or at least some of it) right? They can only legally do that if you are considered to be "employed" You drive their vehicles and are covered under their insurance. Technically, you are employed.

Reserves in Arkansas have no powers of arrest unless on duty. That is not as bad as it sounds. Its a simple matter of calling Dispatch and checking "10-8". Once you do that you are covered by law to do what needs to be done. You dont need to be arresting anyone while off duty anyway, you need to be under the umbrella of protection of the dept first. Not even our full time deputys do any thing official without first checking 10-8. There is just too much that can go wrong.

As it is, I'd be willing to bet that you are covered under LEOSA.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Thanksfor the info guys. The dept has my application, so now just waiting for the next step which is an interview that will probably occur in Nov/Dec IIRC. I will keep you all posted.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Good luck to you friend! We have many outstanding reserve deputies here, they can be fantastic assets to our department. Some of the older ones choose to assist our detectives (running down leads, calls etc...) Others prefer patrol, jail work, intelligence etc... "It's a front row seat to the greatest show on earth!". Keep up the good work, with your background you'll surely do well, God Bless and be safe brother..

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Our county (Stillwater) is pretty rural (actually classified as "Frontier")--no detectives, etc. we have 1,800+ square miles with a population of about 9,000+/- and only a handfull of full-time Deputies.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links