Sherriff's Reserve application

This is a discussion on Sherriff's Reserve application within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, not sure if this is the right place to post this--if not, I guess it will be moved I have been working on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sherriff's Reserve application

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Sherriff's Reserve application

Well, not sure if this is the right place to post this--if not, I guess it will be moved

I have been working on my application for our county Sherriff's Reserve. Just finished it tonight and will send it in when I get back home from my work shift. The process, as I've had it explained to me is that they will gather the applications for the 3 or 4 positions vacant, interview all of us and then select 3 or 4, who will then be enrolled in a 3 month Reserve Academy program (2 nights per week plus a few weekends).

So, will see what happens, maybe its not too late for this old dog to learn some new tricks I think I've got some things in my favor, but also some limitations due to age.
    ttowndeputy likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Good luck!

VIP Member
    Good luck.

I was on an interviewing committee for reserve, for 20+ years.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lead Moderator
    Let us know how it goes...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I will let you know--I don't expect to really hear anything until later in the Fall.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Is there generally an age limit? I'll have the time to do this in a few years, but I'll be well into my 50's. PT tests would be no problem.

Honestly, I want one more go-around in the military (maybe a different branch) in my retirement. I feel like I could do a lot of things better, this time.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Is there generally an age limit? I'll have the time to do this in a few years, but I'll be well into my 50's. PT tests would be no problem.

Honestly, I want one more go-around in the military (maybe a different branch) in my retirement. I feel like I could do a lot of things better, this time.
    About the age-limit for Sherriff's Reserve--my guess is that is completely dependant upon location--where we are in rural MT (well, most of MT IS rural) things tend to be less rigid and more flexible than other "more civilized" places in the urban areas of the USA.

About the "one-more go-around in the military in my retirement" don't hold your breath---there are no options that I am aware of that allow us more "seasoned" folks opportunity to put a uniform back on. MAYBE National Guard, but I believe the upper age limit is 60 to 62 (depending on branch)--period. More senior officers and NCOs are granted an allowance for age, and for some critical specialties (on my last assignment, I had a 70 year old Catholic Priest who was my Deputy Installation Chaplain), but on a regular basis that door is shut to us.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    ^ Yah, I know they won't take back on ol' retread like me. A friend's 70+ yr old uncle was able to volunteer for active duty in Afghanistan because he is a surgeon. However, they assigned him to work on enemy casualties, so he did a second tour of duty with the assurance that he would work on our boys. I used to get emails from him with updates - it was an amazing experience for him.

'Wishing you the best on the application.

I went through the reserve class at age 55 and the guy next to me was over 60. We were the top two in our class with the two highest overall grades. I was tied for high shooter, and was highest on the PT. We are both going strong six years later and running the reserve program for our local police department. There is no maximun age limit, you just have to be able to do the job. Hope all goes well, stay safe and enjoy the work.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Would you be covered under HR218? LEOSA?
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Senior Moderator
    Would you be covered under HR218? LEOSA? You are if you are a sworn officer. Reserves here in Arkansas are covered, dont know about anywhere else.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you're sworn, you're covered under HR218.

When I was in the academy, we had someone who was late 50s. he was prior USAF too.

he applied as a reserve deputy to our local SO, but he didn't get the job. most of the other younglings that applied got it. we assume it was because of his age... it's unfortunete. He should have gotten the job. it's a fully sworn position, but doesn't pay.

good luck though, it has gotten very tough to get in. I had to self sponsor myself (the army paid for my academy, but not depts) to become LEO. nobody sponsors anymore.

our SO doesn't even hire FT anymore. you have to start as RDS (Reserve Dep Sheriff) and then go fulltime when slots open up (6 months to a year after FTO)

Distinguished Member
    Good luck to the OP. Here the hiring process is the same as the full timers, minis the civil service test. It was a long application, long hiring process with lots of steps, and the command interview a bit nerve racking but well worth it! At my dept we aren't considered reserve or aux but are just part time deputies of the municipality and although unpaid, we are fully sworn with full police powers.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Good luck Chaplain Scott...I'm 58 and applied in April for a reserve Police Officer position with a local department. I'm like you, I thought I might be too old, but I made the cut.

I'm about half way through the academy that started in mid July, we graduate on October 23. We have been training every Tuesday & Thursday night, (with an occasional Saturday).
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Would you be covered under HR218? LEOSA? You are if you are a sworn officer. Reserves here in Arkansas are covered, dont know about anywhere else.
    I'm not sure. I have wondered about that very question.

Here are the requirements to qualify for LEOSA:

1.an employee of a governmental agency,
    2.be authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law,
    3.have statutory powers of arrest,
    4.be authorized by the agency to carry a firearm,
    5.not be the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency (which could result in suspension or loss of police powers),[2] and
    6.meet standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm.

My guess is that we would not be covered, because the Reserve Deputies are not paid, and as I understand it, while they are sworn Peace Officers, they have no arrest powers unless actually on duty.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links