M16 vs. AK47

This is a discussion on M16 vs. AK47 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A Discovery Channel expose on both rifles. M16 vs AK47 - YouTube...

Thread: M16 vs. AK47

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

M16 vs. AK47

A Discovery Channel expose on both rifles.

M16 vs AK47 - YouTube
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Nice vid...good general overview.
    They could've thrown into the comparison something about the updated AK47 (AK74) being chambered down from 7.62 to 5.45.
    Does that say that... at least as far as a philosophy of ammo goes... the M16/M4 model won the debate?
    At any rate, thanks for the post.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I didn't watch the video but based on my experience with the two weapons the ak wins on the durability/reliability (hell they can shoot under water). M16 wins on accuracy of course. Maybe because of the round though I would like to see a 5.56 converted ak and how well that does.

Senior Moderator
    I had an AK 84, which was an AK chambered in .223. It was a great gun, but it was extremely loud. It was accurate and worked flawlessly.
    I traded it for a .300Mag Sendero.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I didn't watch the video but based on my experience with the two weapons the ak wins on the durability/reliability (hell they can shoot under water). M16 wins on accuracy of course. Maybe because of the round though I would like to see a 5.56 converted ak and how well that does.
    Correct me if I'm wrong IIRC it all has to do with the barrel and bolt lockup not to mention if the barrel is free floated etc.,the mini 14 is 223,but on average is less accurate than the AR platform.
    If I'm shooting thru heavy cover I would choose the AK,If I'm shooting over 100 yards I'm going for the AR
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong IIRC it all has to do with the barrel and bolt lockup not to mention if the barrel is free floated etc.,the mini 14 is 223,but on average is less accurate than the AR platform.
    If I'm shooting thru heavy cover I would choose the AK,If I'm shooting over 100 yards I'm going for the AR
    I've never personally used a mini 14 so I can't really say anything about it. Yes the barrel and bolt lockup has alot to do with it which is why I said the above. However I'm pretty sure the AK is considerably accurate up to 300 yrds, (though we all know accuracy is really based on the person using it) but 300 is what I was taught in the marines.

What I was saying about rounds is because I was refering to the 7.62 which begins to tumble at some point (I forget when) which makes it less accurate I'm pretty sure.

But I believe we agree just in different terminology.

Stick with my M4 Experience counts for something

Links