Finally getting into a routine again

This is a discussion on Finally getting into a routine again within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I have completed my first month at the new camp and I have established a decent work and training routine. One of the reasons ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Finally getting into a routine again

VIP Member

Finally getting into a routine again

Well I have completed my first month at the new camp and I have established a decent work and training routine. One of the reasons I like the smaller camps is far less distractions but everything revolves around a daily routine without it you will go nuts.

We are rather far out so I have to do a lot of local purchasing of weapons and equipment. I have a great Afghan fixer who has been able to come up with the AK's we needed and they have been in fantastic shape with prices averaging about $1500.

SAM_0504.JPG

They are a combination of Chinese type 56 underfolders, Romanian and Russian fixed stocks and even a like new side folder which I kept for myself.

SAM_0507.JPG

I already have my Turkish Machine Pistol but I managed to acquire a Glock. Pistols are extremely expensive here, Glocks can go for $2500 to $3000 US, S&W 99's for $1500 and Sigma's for $1000.

SAM_0505.JPG

I schedule in time for the gym daily. My run times have been steadily decreasing. 24:30 for three miles and 54:00 for six miles which I do on the eliptical daily set on a medium to high resistance level. There is no place to run outside here so the machines are pretty much it.

I also purchased locally two Walther P99 look alike BB guns that fire a 6mm plastic BB. They are realistic enough and accurate enough that I can use them at 8-10 feet in my room using a sheet of notebook paper with a target drawn on them. I made up a bullet trap in a cardboard box lined with a towel. I try to get in 30-50 drawstrokes a night just for something to do in between range visits. I am going to have to do some scrounging to replenish my 9mm supply on the open market it is a dollar a round at the local bazaar.

Well hope you enjoy the pics Lory is sending my first box of gear and clothes hopefully it will get here soon.
    wmhawth, pgrass101 and sgb like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Here's hoping you're staying healthy over there tacman. Thanks for posting the pics.

After reading about all the shootings of trainers by embedded insurgents,have you guys changed up the way you deal with the local Police and Afghan Army units when it comes to weapons/magazines inside the compound
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Wmhawth thanks and yes I am staying healthy and happy as can be LOL I just have to keep busy.

Dukalmighty. Yes there have been changes. This camp has civilian techs and such, who are unarmed, myself and my company running security for the camp, a small Detachment of Airborne kids for support and the ODA and ODB team. The Army regulation for troops is condition amber, mag in empty chamber, but there are no clearing barrels here and there are no obvious signs of checking weapons status from the NCO's so draw your own conclusion. Myself and the SF teams carry hot weapons, rifles and pistols at all times.

Other changes include buddy team travel throughtout the camp and in an armed status at all times gym, head and shower included. We have Afghan Special Forces on this camp and Afghan Army and Police with attached compounds so you just watch yourself as best you can when around them. Out of the three I "trust" the ASF the most if that means anything.
    My Afghan Security guys are the buffer between the two. Nothing moves around or into the camp unless it comes through them. Many of them have been fighting the insurgency for years others like my Afghan Sgt. Major fought against the Russians so they do not tolerate BS. I do not have a battle buddy except for my Afghan fixer/counterpart so we meet up in the mornings and head out from there. We "control" the area around the camp for a klick or so but it is not uncommon for the insurgents to fire at the vehicles travelling or conducting security sweeps there is also a seperate company that sweeps for IED's. Myself and my partner visit the homes and areas around the camp, many of my detail live around the area, meeting with the locals and gathering what information we can for the day.

I will post some more pics when I can. I rebuild/repair a lot of weapons here, just got done with a very nice RPD belt fed machine gun and a couple of Enfield .303's. Whatever it takes to keep my mind busy.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What I can't figure out is now that we got Bin Laden, why are we still there?
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Keep safe tacman, are you the only American on the security detail for your company?

Send some pics of the Enfleids or any other strange/old guns you come across.

A friend of mine sent me a picture of a SMLE made by BSA in 1916 that he had captured.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Sounds like your SA is higher there than in Iraq....Watch your six bro.....

VIP Member
    Pgrass Iwill do that some I don't know what they are they are so old.

HB you are correct different life here.

Yoooo! Seems like the place you left was a little more relaxed? Stay safe and keep us updated bro!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

VIP Member
    Yep Iraq was different however I do not miss the daily rocket attacks at all.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Many of them have been fighting the insurgency for years others like my Afghan Sgt. Major fought against the Russians so they do not tolerate BS.
    Hey Tacman--I just curious, do these guys who are experienced see a difference between the US and the Russians? As others have said, keep safe!!! (well, as safe as possible given everything there).
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Chaplain Scott. They see us differently to a point. We don't poison water wells, execute people, and so on as the Russians did. This country has been invaded so many times they are kind of like "Oh ok invaders, who this time".

As long as the money is flowing and we do not try to change religions or the women all is right with the world.

Links