Do you have anything that I should know about? - Page 2

Do you have anything that I should know about?

This is a discussion on Do you have anything that I should know about? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Do you have anything that I should know about? Michael Smallpox?...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Do you have anything that I should know about?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Do you have anything that I should know about?

Michael
    Smallpox?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Smallpox?
    I would love to be a fly on the wall if someone ever does use that for an answer!

EDIT: If any brave soul out there ever decides to use the smallpox answer please make sure to film the encounter for us.

Michael
    Badey likes this.

VIP Member
    I have to notify him if I'm CCW. Aside from other issues, my answer will be a respectful "no", and it's a true answer, I'm not a criminal-type, I don't have any record or tainted background. Knowing I'm squeaky clean, I don't approve of a search of my vehicle without a warrant. So far, I've never been asked.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It's fair enough to ask such a question. It's fair enough to not answer it beyond a "no" (which is true enough, as I'm not a criminal). The 5A is there for a purpose. If something unlawful is found during the investigation of me/mine, good for him/her. Makes no sense to me to answer such open-ended probes such as that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

How about "you should consider cutting back on the donuts and getting more exercise" ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Do you have anything that I should know about?" Phishing?

"What kind of question is that, officer? Would you care to be more specific? Do you mean do I have anything illegal? NO. Do I have a firearm? Yes, and a permit to go with it. Anything else?"

"Uh, do you have keys for theses cuffs?"
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Not all police officers are your "enemy". Some of us are actually pretty decent people, hard to believe huh?

I have issues with LEO now days due to their action . However I have no way of knowing the good from the political agenda ones on a traffic stop or chance encounter.
    Even though the law in my state says I am not required to inform them unless they ask. I will inform the officer. How he/she chooses to react in their business.
    So far I have had no negative reactions. I did have one ask me why I felt the need to carry a weapon. Informed him that I spent a lot of time in Milwaukee.
    To more question were ask nor was the weapon brought up again.

I've asked that question on most of the car, and pedestrian stops I've made. "You have anything I should know about?", or "Anything else I should know about?" This is NOT a fishing expedition. It's a plain question... As long as were having the face to face I want to know who you are. Do you have a warrant?, are you armed?... Have you been drinking?. I use the question to give the individual the chance to get in front of any issues that may arise. If I stopped a person for ohhhh fitting a specific description... and he admits to having had two beers. His honesty would go a long way in how I dispose of the situation. Honesty will usually get you a long way with a cop. Now having said that a Law Enforcement Officer will probably use your honesty against you if he can.

The difficult part is being able to differ between a LEO and a policeman.
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; September 8th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
    mr.stuart and HKinNY like this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've only been stopped once in the last 14 yrs. since I got my CCP. The officer's first words were, "do you have anything on you that can hurt me?" I told him I was carrying concealed and asked if he wanted to see my permit. He asked me where my gun was. I told him it was in my pocket. He told me to keep my hands in sight and said not to bother digging out my wallet. He said he stopped me because I had a tail light out and to get it taken care of and to have a nice day. I'm probably naive to think they all go that way.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't been stopped in years, but never has an LEO asked me anything like other than, "Do you know why I stopped you?" Don't think I want to get stopped again just to see how, evidently, the times have changed. BUt if so, I don't think I'd appreciate a barrage of questions that had nothing to do with my traffic violation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

ever heard of probable cause? anything you say other than 'no' comes with the risk of giving an officer probable cause. putting Secret Spuk's example aside (any officer will likely know you've had a drink), anything you say can give them legal reason to search you and/or your car. so don't waste your time going through that experience and tell them 'no,' unless of course you are legally obligated otherwise. that's my slightly educated opinion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clan.des.tin View Post
    ever heard of probable cause? anything you say other than 'no' comes with the risk of giving an officer probable cause. putting Secret Spuk's example aside (any officer will likely know you've had a drink), anything you say can give them legal reason to search you and/or your car. so don't waste your time going through that experience and tell them 'no,' unless of course you are legally obligated otherwise. that's my slightly educated opinion.
    His drinking example was valid. A coherent "Yes, officer, I have had two beers" will help diffuse probable cause. "Yeah, I hadda few", otoh will enhance it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I would love to be a fly on the wall if someone ever does use that for an answer!

EDIT: If any brave soul out there ever decides to use the smallpox answer please make sure to film the encounter for us.

Michael
    If, god forbid, I ever get pulled over again, I'll say this, just for you guys. But lets hope it doesn't happen, if my insurance gets any higher, I'm going to have to sell my guns
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator

Michael
    Please don't do it in Alabama, in my current employment it would create a few long days for me and I don't get paid overtime
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links