Do you have anything that I should know about? - Page 3

Do you have anything that I should know about?

This is a discussion on Do you have anything that I should know about? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 His drinking example was valid. A coherent "Yes, officer, I have had two beers" will help diffuse probable cause. "Yeah, I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Do you have anything that I should know about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    His drinking example was valid. A coherent "Yes, officer, I have had two beers" will help diffuse probable cause. "Yeah, I hadda few", otoh will enhance it.
    You misunderstood, I indicated that it was valid.

But admitting to having consumed alcohol is... Well, an admission, and whether or not it diffuses the situation depends entirely on the officer. But this is a gun forum, so going down that path is off topic.

Do you have anything that I should know about?

Not actually knowing what he should know about I guess the answer a question applies....... Such as????
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Smallpox?
    OK, so a few years ago my employer started cracking down on sick leave usage. My job, however, requires a high rate of sick leave use for the obvious reasons.

We also have many regulations stating that we are disqualified from work for a certain amount of time when taking medication. An example is a normal over the counter DM type cough syrup disqualifies me for 24 hours. So basically you need to decide if you are going to miss work because you have a cold and take medicine to feel better (and get a good nights sleep) or you struggle through it and go to work without meds. The real catch is balancing how sick you think you can be before your performance starts slipping. It's a fine line.

The result of this is that many folks are forced to take sick days they don't really need or want because they had a dose of cough syrup 10 hours before their shift.

In the past the FAA knew and expected the above and it was part of doing business safely. Around 2005 the union and the FAA had a big fight and the FAA was really busting our chops about sick days. They were comparing us to other Government agencies regarding how high our sick leave (SL) percentages were. This was all bunk of course because others aren't disqualified to work when they take normal meds.

Now, to my very long winded point. They started grilling us on the phone about why we were sick. In the old days it was "Hey I'm sorry but put me on sick leave".... "OK, get better.". Now it was "Sick leave? Well I'm not sure we can approve that. What's wrong with you?" <----- and this is where the fun starts.

I used to try to come up with the most disgusting things to say on the phone to my boss when asked "What's wrong with you?". I think my all time best was "I'm having a really bad herpes flare up." Another time it was a horrible case of hemorrhoids.

Pretty quickly they stopped asking me. ; )

Anyway I wrote all of that to say that the joke has stayed with me. I'd have no problem telling an officer about some really disgusting medical issue, real or fake. This joke never gets old to me.
    sgb, FLArmadillo, mlr1m and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ttowndeputy View Post
    Not all police officers are your "enemy". Some of us are actually pretty decent people, hard to believe huh?
    Cops don't ask if you have anything that they need to know about because they are bad guys. They ask the question because it works.

Michael
    ttowndeputy likes this.

I'm not necessarily saying to lie, but why would you ever admit anything to the police? Saying you have had a few beers just opens up a can of worms. I wouldn't ever tell a cop that I've been drinking. The ccw thing is different depending on the state, butI wouldn't bring it up if I didn't have to. They probably already know if they run the tags.

People are dumb. I remember people growing up who would admit stuff to cops. The cop would have a hunch that the person was doing something illegal, and he would keep pressing, and soon enough the guy consented to a search and drugs were found in the car. This seemed to happen a lot with people I went to high school with.

I have been stopped only once here in NY while carry for now wearing a seat belt. The officer did not ask the question but if he did I do not think I would inform the office that I was carrying.

I was stopped twice in Texas for speeding. First time just cruising 70 ish left lane clear day looking around the big open fields and I saw him he saw me and I pulled over prior to him turning on the lights. When he asked for my DL,reg and Ins. I replied I have my firearm on my right side how would you like to proceed? You leave your gun in your holster and I will leave mine in mine. No ticket

Second time I was driving friends back to airport and was nailed in a speed trap. ( Going to DFW airport) the officer did not ask either but he asked where I was going? I explained that I was dropping off my friends at the airport and then attending a CCW class and then flying home next day. Asked when the rental car was due back. Tomorrow. showed him rental agreement. I explained I had a CDL Class A with full endorsements, No ticket or warrants all-round good guy.

He went back to the car came back 2 minutes later. He noticed that My buddy in the back-seat was wearing NJ firefighter shirt. He asked if he was FD or buff shirt. I am a FF and so is the passenger up front.

Handed me back my stuff. Told me to slow it down and have a good day. I guess that I was taking a CCW class worked in my favor.

So would I inform the officer if asked If I had anything that he needs to know about I do not know until stop happens. Maybe at night more than day. What I got stop for, I would inform for sure if they ever asked me to step out of the car for sure.

Do I have to inform them of my sharp wit?
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    I'd say "no" if I weren't carrying, and if I were carrying I'd probably say "I have a weapons carry license, and I have the subject of the license on me. How would you like to proceed?" Georgia is not a notify state, but I don't want the LEO to get nervous if he sees my gun after I told him he has nothing to worry about.

I'd keep my mouth shut about meth and body in the trunk, though.
    mlr1m likes this.

I do not have to inform in my state, so my answer would always be "no sir." The only thing that he needs to know about is whatever I was pulled over for.

Last time I checked, even if someone did have something to hide, the current interpretation of the 5th Amendment is that they do not have to incriminate themselves, even if asked a direct question.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I'm not necessarily saying to lie, but why would you ever admit anything to the police? Saying you have had a few beers just opens up a can of worms. I wouldn't ever tell a cop that I've been drinking. The ccw thing is different depending on the state, butI wouldn't bring it up if I didn't have to. They probably already know if they run the tags.

People are dumb. I remember people growing up who would admit stuff to cops. The cop would have a hunch that the person was doing something illegal, and he would keep pressing, and soon enough the guy consented to a search and drugs were found in the car. This seemed to happen a lot with people I went to high school with.
    This is spot on. The stories my LEO friends tell me about folks, who when asked this question, will not stop blabbering until they find themselves in handcuffs are hilarious.

Michael

Officer= "Do you have any weapons that I should know about?".

Me= "Depends, what do you need?".

Quote Originally Posted by ttowndeputy View Post
    Not all police officers are your "enemy". Some of us are actually pretty decent people, hard to believe huh?
    I agree. There are some good guys out there that wear a badge. That being said, I feel it should be a crime for an officer to ask a citizen a question or for permission to do something that they are not obligated to answer or permit. People assume that if an officer asks something, that it must be something that they are required to answer or allow to take place. Well, at least they'll assume this once, until they figure out your shady games. This just all creates a climate of mistrust of law enforcement. You can't have it both ways, wanting respect and cooperation, and then letting people down by asking questions and permission you know they are not bound to comply with. Mind you, not everyone you have a suspicion of wrong doing has done something wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I've asked that question on most of the car, and pedestrian stops I've made. "You have anything I should know about?", or "Anything else I should know about?" This is NOT a fishing expedition. It's a plane question... As long as were having the ace to face I want to know who you are. Do you have a warrant?, are you armed?... Have you been drinking?. I use the question to give the individual the chance to get in front of any isues that may arise. If I stopped a person for ohhhh fitting a specific description... and he admits to having had two beers. His honesty would go a long way in how I dispose of the situation. Honesty will usually get you a long way with a cop. Now having said that a Law Enforcement Officer will probably use your honesty against you if he can.

The difficult part is being able to differ between a LEO and a policeman.
    You hit it on the head; and just like many cops say they are best served by assuming every encounter is with a criminal until they prove other wise; I am best served by assuming I am encountering a Harless until he proves otherwise.

Do you need to know about the buck and a half change I have in my pocket? NO. Do you need to know I have a lottery ticket in my wallet? NO. Do you need to know I have a lawfully carried firearm under my shirt or in my car? NO. Nothing illegal you need to know about.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I agree. There are some good guys out there that wear a badge. That being said, I feel it should be a crime for an officer to ask a citizen a question or for permission to do something that they are not obligated to answer or permit. People assume that if an officer asks something, that it must be something that they are required to answer or allow to take place. Well, at least they'll assume this once, until they figure out your shady games. This just all creates a climate of mistrust of law enforcement. You can't have it both ways, wanting respect and cooperation, and then letting people down by asking questions and permission you know they are not bound to comply with. Mind you, not everyone you have a suspicion of wrong doing has done something wrong
    I'm not sure how to reply to this. Would you make it a crime for police to ask how you are doing? If you might need some help? Could police ever offer assistance to a citizen without having to be worried about possible criminal charges if that citizen made a complaint?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm not sure how to reply to this. Would you make it a crime for police to ask how you are doing? If you might need some help? Could police ever offer assistance to a citizen without having to be worried about possible criminal charges if that citizen made a complaint?

Michael
    Come on. You know there's a difference between general "how's your day", "weather" talk, and probing questions or requests for permission to do things that the citizen is under no obligation to comply with

[QUOTE=Secret Spuk;2383269]I've asked that question on most of the car, and pedestrian stops I've made. "You have anything I should know about?", or "Anything else I should know about?" This is NOT a fishing expedition. It's a plain question... As long as were having the face to face I want to know who you are. Do you have a warrant?, are you armed?... Have you been drinking?. I use the question to give the individual the chance to get in front of any issues that may arise. If I stopped a person for ohhhh fitting a specific description... and he admits to having had two beers. His honesty would go a long way in how I dispose of the situation. Honesty will usually get you a long way with a cop. Now having said that a Law Enforcement Officer will probably use your honesty against you if he can.

I usually asked a person how their day, or evening is going, and I'd also give them a detailed reason of why I have them stopped. Honesty, and a cordial attitude also go's a long way to keep subjects of stops calm, and understanding. More often than not the person stopped has a perfectly reasonable explination for their behaviour.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links