Do you have anything that I should know about?

This is a discussion on Do you have anything that I should know about? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MisterB Come on. You know there's a difference between general "how's your day", "weather" talk, and probing questions or requests for permission ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Do you have anything that I should know about?

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Come on. You know there's a difference between general "how's your day", "weather" talk, and probing questions or requests for permission to do things that the citizen is under no obligation to comply with
    Don't kid yourself, skilled officer can often gather much information using those general how's your day and weather talk. That officer will watch for indications of nervousness or other traits while you are answering those innocent questions. And, if as you say I should be able to tell the difference between the two different types of questions why do you believe we need a law to protect me from a person asking them?

    Michael
    Secret Spuk and pgrass101 like this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Member Array surferbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    My recommendation to my daughters who are just now beginning to drive, is to not speak to the highwaymen.
    I assume that they shouldn't request help if their car breaks down too???

  4. #48
    Member Array surferbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    "Lotsa stuff.. An IQ higher than yours, a better paying job, a rich (now deceased) uncle in Nigeria and a gov't agent there getting ready to send me all the dough, a CCW badge and sash, a compelling physiological need (like right now!), and no desire to deal with you at the moment... Are we done here? I need to be on my way... And, these are not the droids you're looking for... Move along."

    Does that about cover it?
    A lot of bravado for someone doing their job. Any issues with someone you love who is injured/killed by a drunk driver? Oh that's right the Leo shouldn't pull people over.

  5. #49
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Don't kid yourself, skilled officer can often gather much information using those general how's your day and weather talk. That officer will watch for indications of nervousness or other traits while you are answering those innocent questions. And, if as you say I should be able to tell the difference between the two different types of questions why do you believe we need a law to protect me from a person asking them?
    Yeah, and they get real ticked off if you have had training to pick up on the amateurish attempt at road side interrogation and basically play their game but throw it back at them.

    A state trooper came by my house one time to let me know my storage unit was broken into. He did not come all that way to tell me that. The company would have notified me. The dude kept asking me when was the last time I was there and blah blah. I purposely started hedging on my answers (always truthful though). After about 10 minutes of this nonsense I said thank you sir is that all. He wanted to know why I was not asking any more questions like how it got broken into, if anything was stolen. I said I know how it got broken into, somebody cut the lock. Bang! You should have seen his face. He thought "I gotcha" because indeed that is how it got broken into (plus it is the most likely reason except picking the lock). I knew because he had the lock on the passenger seat where I saw it.

    He was sent by the storage owner who thought I broke in because we were 3 months late on our payments (which we were not, he had the wrong unit to begin with) and tried to take everything. Actually two locks were cut, one that was mine and one the storage place put on so "I" couldn't get in.

    I finally got fed up and said I know why you are here and I can see the lock. I said I would have used my own key if that was the case. He then asked if I had the key and I said yup. But I was not going to prove anything to him unless he arrested me first.

    Sorry if I was being a jerk but the LEO could have said we have a report that your storage unit was broken into and the owner thinks you might have done it. I would have said, here is my key to show that I could have opened it and provided him with reciepts for paymentts.

    But noooooo. Mr. Dick Tracey had to tick me off by not being forthright. You are not forthright with me I will be the same with you.

    I have been interrogated before by professionals. This guy was an idiot.

    I don't like being questioned on my own property when i have done nothing wrong and an upfront conversation would have settled the matter in quickly.

    I understand the need to investigate. But not in this way. No evidence whatsoever could have been gained. He was trying to trip me up on something. Which of course in this situation was for not.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  6. #50
    Senior Member Array DaGunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    536
    NC is a "must notify" state. The only issues I've had is when on my bike & getting caught up in a check point (DL/Ins). I keep my hands on the handlebars & notify them: "I have a CCW and I am armed." They ask where the weapon is (4:30, IWB) and then where is my license. Then I fish out my DL/CCW/Ins and hand it to them. They just glance at them, hand them back, and I'm back on my way. Only once have I been asked for anything else. That was "What are you afraid of?". I replied: "Nothing, now." He just chuckled & sent me on my way.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.
    .

  7. #51
    Senior Member Array yz9890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado USA
    Posts
    1,071
    I can afford a ticket every few years;

    "I don't answer questions from police without an attorney present. Administer whatever tests you like (I don't drink), write the ticket and be on your way".

  8. #52
    Senior Member Array yz9890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado USA
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK, so a few years ago my employer started cracking down on sick leave usage. My job, however, requires a high rate of sick leave use for the obvious reasons.

    We also have many regulations stating that we are disqualified from work for a certain amount of time when taking medication. An example is a normal over the counter DM type cough syrup disqualifies me for 24 hours. So basically you need to decide if you are going to miss work because you have a cold and take medicine to feel better (and get a good nights sleep) or you struggle through it and go to work without meds. The real catch is balancing how sick you think you can be before your performance starts slipping. It's a fine line.

    The result of this is that many folks are forced to take sick days they don't really need or want because they had a dose of cough syrup 10 hours before their shift.

    In the past the FAA knew and expected the above and it was part of doing business safely. Around 2005 the union and the FAA had a big fight and the FAA was really busting our chops about sick days. They were comparing us to other Government agencies regarding how high our sick leave (SL) percentages were. This was all bunk of course because others aren't disqualified to work when they take normal meds.

    Now, to my very long winded point. They started grilling us on the phone about why we were sick. In the old days it was "Hey I'm sorry but put me on sick leave".... "OK, get better.". Now it was "Sick leave? Well I'm not sure we can approve that. What's wrong with you?" <----- and this is where the fun starts.

    I used to try to come up with the most disgusting things to say on the phone to my boss when asked "What's wrong with you?". I think my all time best was "I'm having a really bad herpes flare up." Another time it was a horrible case of hemorrhoids.

    Pretty quickly they stopped asking me. ; )

    Anyway I wrote all of that to say that the joke has stayed with me. I'd have no problem telling an officer about some really disgusting medical issue, real or fake. This joke never gets old to me.
    super funny.

    my airline started asking for a note from a doctor if you called off sick for more than one day. so most guys just fax them the back of their medical.

  9. #53
    Member Array MisterB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Don't kid yourself, skilled officer can often gather much information using those general how's your day and weather talk. That officer will watch for indications of nervousness or other traits while you are answering those innocent questions. And, if as you say I should be able to tell the difference between the two different types of questions why do you believe we need a law to protect me from a person asking them?

    Michael
    Of course something could be gathered from innocent questions, but do you really function in a reality where asking such questions is in the same ballpark as requesting permission to do a strip search of a person or complete search of a vehicle or home? Get real. Even if the person is completely innocent and has nothing to hide, it is an invasion of privacy, a nuisance, and an inconvenience that could cause the person to be late to where they needed to be... And all because a tail light that was functioning when the person pulled out of their driveway, decided to burn out a few minutes later, and when the officer asked the person how their evening is going, they act nervous and lead the officer to think something else is going on, and ask to do things the citizen is under no requirement to allow.
    suntzu likes this.

  10. #54
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,942
    The question is basically a free scratch off lottery ticket for the officer. Costs him nothing but could have a big payoff. People under stress tend to have serious problems knowing when to shut up. The more serious the crime you are committing, the more stress you are under chatting with the officer on the side of the road. The more stress you are under the more visible stress indicators will be present and the more likely you are to either try to say nothing, or say too much.

    Answer however you like but don't think that just by answering a certain way is going to prevent an officer from being able to investigate further. While simply refusing to answer questions does not in and of itself create RAS the court is going to look at the totality of the circumstances. If you happen to give the same answer as the last five drug runners the officer locked up, the officer knows that, you don't. That answer (and that officer's experience with those drug runners) will be a factor in how the officer decides to proceed and part of what a judge may look at later to decide if the officer's suspicion was reasonable. If the officer can articulate additional objective facts (vehicle type, time of day, location, violation that prompted the stop) that combined with the officers personal experiences and training lead the officer believe something more is going on than a simple traffic violation, the officer now has RAS.
    What is reasonable suspicion to the officer and the judge is going to be based on that officer's knowledge, training, and personal experience.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  11. #55
    Ex Member Array Adrenaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It also made it easier to decide to give them a warning or ticket, if they had an attitude they got a ticket, if they were cool then that would drive off with a warning.
    I can vouch for that as my experience in Alabama. Got stopped doing about 75 while towing a U-haul down to Florida. Didn't notice the cop but when he approached I was polite and didn't argue. Got a written warning and I was on my way.

  12. #56
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,224
    Because I am white, ride a motorcycle in Milwaukee at late hours of the night and early morning I am stopped often.
    Never for speeding or any other reason than Easy target. They assume right away you are drinking on drugs and or dealing drugs and looking for hookers.
    No madder what you say to them you are guilty of one or all of the above they just need to find away to pin it on you.
    Now I do not drink , no drugs and not looking for any hookers but that does not madder to them. I try to be cool when it happens and listen to the list of phony reasons they stopped me.
    It would do me no good at 3am on a Milwaukee street to give them more reason to mess with me, because they would. You see they can not stop a Black man for being on the street at 3am but it ok to stop a white man for the same thing.
    LE is not about protecting the public, enforcing laws any more has not been for some time. They know where the dealers are , they know who and where the hookers are, Being PC does not allow them to mess with them the way they can with a middle age white man on his bike. That is what LE has become today.
    LE is about their agenda today not the law or right and wrong new game toady.

  13. #57
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,816
    That is what LE has become today.
    LE is about their agenda today not the law or right and wrong new game toady.
    Any you know it's like this everywhere because thats the way they are where you're from in Wisconsin huh?
    pgrass101 likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  14. #58
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Because I am white, ride a motorcycle in Milwaukee at late hours of the night and early morning I am stopped often.
    Never for speeding or any other reason than Easy target. They assume right away you are drinking on drugs and or dealing drugs and looking for hookers.
    No madder what you say to them you are guilty of one or all of the above they just need to find away to pin it on you.
    Now I do not drink , no drugs and not looking for any hookers but that does not madder to them. I try to be cool when it happens and listen to the list of phony reasons they stopped me.
    It would do me no good at 3am on a Milwaukee street to give them more reason to mess with me, because they would. You see they can not stop a Black man for being on the street at 3am but it ok to stop a white man for the same thing.
    LE is not about protecting the public, enforcing laws any more has not been for some time. They know where the dealers are , they know who and where the hookers are, Being PC does not allow them to mess with them the way they can with a middle age white man on his bike. That is what LE has become today.
    LE is about their agenda today not the law or right and wrong new game toady.
    IMO......never profile yourself.
    IMO.....you've got everything else right. Be careful out there and CYA. Nobody's your friend nor looking out for your best interests.....nor protecting you.

  15. #59
    VIP Member Array blitzburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Coastal SC
    Posts
    3,738
    Last time I was asked that I replied "untied shootlaces". I was pulled over "because my license plate was crooked". What a joke.

    Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

  16. #60
    VIP Member
    Array BenGoodLuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,733
    In Texas, when you are stopped by an LEO, you must inform the officer if you are carrying your concealed weapon. Otherwise, you never have to speak to an LEO, even if you are arrested.
    Ben

    Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

i have a wreckless driving charge and have arressts that were noli processed will i qualify for officer schcool

,

powered by mybb american legal search

,

powered by mybb arkansas department of education

,
powered by mybb army class a uniform
,

powered by mybb box tops for education

,
powered by mybb california department of
,

powered by mybb criminal activity

,
powered by mybb find people phone number
,

powered by mybb general hooker/ union army

,
powered by mybb in a box
,

powered by mybb law

,

powered by mybb legal tech

,

powered by mybb nc attorney generals office

,
powered by mybb pay for performance act of 2009
,
powered by mybb post operative
Click on a term to search for related topics.