Do you have anything that I should know about?

This is a discussion on Do you have anything that I should know about? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I notice many threads on this form and others where folks mention LEO's asking them this question during traffic stops. Am I alone in thinking ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Do you have anything that I should know about?

I notice many threads on this form and others where folks mention LEO's asking them this question during traffic stops. Am I alone in thinking that the only thing the officer needs to know about would be possible criminal activity or anything you might be required by law to notify them about? That if what I have with me, if not illegal, is nothing he needs to know about? Is the axe, machete, chainsaw or fertilizer any of his business? What about the soda pop, chips and that sweet rifle I just picked up at the gun shop?

Michael

sgb
    There is nothing wrong with an Officer asking, a good Officer will attempt to evoke a conversation knowing that many times if there is criminal activity that the conversation will often provide the RAS necessary for further investigation. A good Officer will also understand and respect that the individual may not want to converse outside the reason for the initial contact. It's up to the citizen to know and exercise without fear his or her 4th and 5th amendment rights, as well as taking to task Officers that violate these protections under color of authority.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Moderator
    I used to always strike up a conversation with someone I stopped for a traffic violation. One it put them at ease (no one like getting pulled over by the police). Two it made it easier to judge if they were under the influence. Thre judging by their reactions I could usually tell if they had something to hide.

It also made it easier to decide to give them a warning or ticket, if they had an attitude they got a ticket, if they were cool then that would drive off with a warning.
    joker1, foamx, Adrenaline and 2 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Simple enough. Unless the word "stupid" is tattooed boldly on the forehead of the person being asked, the answer is always "NO".
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

They are going to pretty much know everything before they ask you the question if they pull you over in your vehicle and they approach you. This might be truth or dare. LEO can demand driver's license, proof of insurance, and some states....CCW permit is to be shown along with DL. Other than that.......silly questions can be filed under the first and fourth amendments and no response is needed. Sometimes this may depend on just how long you'd like to be stopped by the LEO. Know your rights before you ever hit the road, and make sure you're legal before you do. Question and answer sessions are best left to the FBI. Your local or state law enforcement gets you with the psychological aspect whereas the feds may end up torturing you for the information. Know the difference, know your rights......and least of all.................act stupid. Nobody has ever said anything to a law enforcement officer that saved their bacon from going to jail or being prosecuted. Lesson number one.
    "Do you have anything I should know about?"
    Are you a mind reader?
    Breathe through your nose at this point.....an open mouth could be your pine box.

VIP Member
    I've been asked that.

Granted, that taken verbatim, the question does require telepathic powers. However, it doesn't take much reasoning to realize that he wants to know if you've been doing anything illegal, or if you have any weapons that you could possibly use against him. I have no problem with the question.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    .. Nobody has ever said anything to a law enforcement officer that saved their bacon from going to jail or being prosecuted. ...
    I've talked my way out of taking a ride in the back seat twice now. Discernment is the key.

My recommendation to my daughters who are just now beginning to drive, is to not speak to the highwaymen.
    tricolordad and FLArmadillo like this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Georgia is a no need to notify state so, the officer is gonna need to ask me directly if I have any weapons on me before I offer up the, yes sir I do....

For the record, I would have no problem what so ever notifying any officer I was carrying, if they were more standardized in their handling of a lawfully armed citizen. When you read or hear how some officers react to armed civilians, it makes me glad that Georgia is not a must notify state. Coming to know some of the Leo's on this site over the years makes me respect each of um very highly and feel I'd have no problem showing my support for the job they do by alerting then ASAP of my carry situation. Problem is, ya never know when you're gonna get the one Barney Fife that wants to verbally berate you for choosing to go armed, then proceds to make you wish you weren't...Let me at this time thank all the 2nd amendment supporting Leo's on this site for the professionalism and support, not to mention the service you provide the general public.

Oh' and forgive the Barney Fife analogy; but you know it does happen...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

When I go out on ride alongs with a LEO friend of mine we discuss stuff like this. His take, like mine is that it is a fishing expedition by the officer. Very legal to do and can be very productive. He has told me some pretty funny stories about how when he has asked the question people have freely confessed to carrying contraband or even crimes that they have committed.

He agrees with me though that if you are not doing anything illegal its none of the officers business. That if you are doing something illegal it is the officers business but that you should be talking to a lawyer and not the officer about it. I just get amused at what some folks will offer up when asked the question. Like that box of kittens in the backseat is something that others need to know about.

Michael

Distinguished Member
    "Do you have anything that I should know about?"

Heh... haven't used that line on a girl in a long time
    mlr1m, Rollo, Secret Spuk and 3 others like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

You mean stuff like clothes line, duct tape, tasers, machete, drop cloths?
    Nah, I left my bag at home tonight.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

"anything you say can and will be used against you..". Idk though, kind of depends on the individual LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    My recommendation to my daughters who are just now beginning to drive, is to not speak to the highwaymen.
    I have been told my useage of "highwaymen" here is incorrect. A highwayman is a person who stops you beside the road/trail/path and is interested in taking your money. But I have told it has a negative meening. Sorry if this is the case, not intended.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

"Lotsa stuff.. An IQ higher than yours, a better paying job, a rich (now deceased) uncle in Nigeria and a gov't agent there getting ready to send me all the dough, a CCW badge and sash, a compelling physiological need (like right now!), and no desire to deal with you at the moment... Are we done here? I need to be on my way... And, these are not the droids you're looking for... Move along."

Does that about cover it?
    mlr1m, FLArmadillo and atctimmy like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links