Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him - Page 4

Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him

This is a discussion on Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns He may have acted within dept. guidelines. It was already looked at by his superiors and the remedial action was that ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    He may have acted within dept. guidelines. It was already looked at by his superiors and the remedial action was that he has to attend Taser training again. The fact that he is only receiving that action more or less says that he was doing his job.He would have put the fact that he tased her in his report. With the video backup, it's pretty cut and dried. Anything else is speculation and opinion.
    I thought I heard he was on suspension, which would indicate he was not acting within the policy.. I may be wrong, but I thought I heard he has to do some additional traing as well.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    As for taking the law into his own hands, I'm pretty sure that putting down unruly / disruptive behavior of subjects during processing could potentially cover his actions, it looks like some things we're being said verbally back and fourth, if she was being uncooperative when Zapped.

Look at the video again, was he telling her to put her hands in front of here before she spit? Did he giver her some warning beforehand? We just don't know.

Plenty of witnesses, plenty of video...we'll see.

Believe it or not I am not LEO bashing at all. Unfortunately out legal and justice system sucks. In an ideal world the officer would not have done anything to her. He would move back (appeared she wsn't moving toward him) tell her she is being charged with whatever crime it is to spit on a LEO (and it should carry a stiff penalty) then let the courts handle it.
    I do know that she most likely would have got a fine for that...it sucks. I don't beleive a LEO is god like or has special human powers to control his emotions. They are human. But the fact is they chose that job knowing they will be dealing with dirt bags and they need to follow the law.

As far as a lesson for her...don't think she learned one. She will file a lawsuit with the ACLU leading the way. The officers actions will cost the city money somehow.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    He may have acted within dept. guidelines. It was already looked at by his superiors and the remedial action was that he has to attend Taser training again. The fact that he is only receiving that action more or less says that he was doing his job.

He would have put the fact that he tased her in his report. With the video backup, it's pretty cut and dried. Anything else is speculation and opinion.
    More speculation follows.
    The fact that he is only receiving that action more or less says that he was doing his job.
    It could also mean that the department knows that if they came out and with harsh punishment it would presented as an admission of guilt to a jury by opposing council at trial. Could it be that to protect themselves in civil court that they must also protect him?

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The person was already restrained. He was in cuffs.

Michael
    She led with her mouth. Restrained, but not subdued.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Moderator
    It could also mean that the department knows that if they came out and with harsh punishment it would presented as an admission of guilt to a jury by opposing council at trial. Could it be that to protect themselves in civil court that they must also protect him?
    Could be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    As for taking the law into his own hands, I'm pretty sure that putting down unruly / disruptive behavior of subjects during processing could potentially cover his actions, it looks like some things we're being said verbally back and fourth, if she was being uncooperative when Zapped.Look at the video again, was he telling her to put her hands in front of here before she spit? Did he giver her some warning beforehand? We just don't know.Plenty of witnesses, plenty of video...we'll see.
    She was drunk and unruly, and we all know how drunk folks came be.. Bottom line, she deserved what she got, and he was not acting within policy and was suspended for his part of it. fact is, I bet both of um will handle the same situation differently next time...
    64zebra likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Well the OP asked for LE and non-LE opinions so as non-LE I think that what the officer did was more than likely not policy. However, I also think that she should really think about it and consider helself lucky that she didn't do that to some civilian adversary that would have blown her guts out her back with the same look on his face. And if one of my kids were to spit in the face of an officer, teacher or something of the sort, then believe me, they would rather ride the lightning for 5 seconds than deal with me when I found out about it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Silly me, I thought that was a cops job - To take the law into their hands?
    suntzu and gottabkiddin like this.

OD*
    In this day and age, with all the communicable diseases carried in human body fluids, she's lucky she didn't have her head beat into jello.

I'm with Bob, ain't nobody spitting in my face and getting a pass.
    Rock and Glock and Bad Bob like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    In this day and age, with all the communicable diseases carried in human body fluids, she's lucky she didn't have her head beat into jello.

Difference is you would probably get arrested for assault, not just have to go through remedial training.......
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post

I know what I would do as a non LEO if somebody spit in my face and it'd probably get me fired as a LEO.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Spitting can be considered, among many things, assault, aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person, etc. The cop did the right thing and the punishment, is nothing more than a politically correct reaction rather than something deserved.

Well...
    I bet that she didn't spit a second time. Lesson learned.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To me, may depend upon what she said to him. What if she is also HIV positive ? Never know.
    It's assault and if she was threatening to spit on him again, taser away....... my .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links